Driving License in PA

Driving License in PA

Old May 15th 2013, 1:24 pm
grh
Just Joined

grh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving License in PA

Hi
Thanks for all the replies. Just a quick update on the current state of affairs. I have now got a temporary photo id card. For me it was fairly painless. I printed out a bank statement and took a pay slip that has my address on it as well. I needed a letter from my employer saying I was currently employed and I also had them confirm my address registered with them too.

The guy who dealt with me was quite helpful, which I believe was luck of the draw as the official next to me rejected a printed out statement from a guy who was from California who was trying to get a PA driving license. I think he had other issues too, but they were making things awkward for him.

Now I have this card it means applying for a learners permit is straightforward other than finding a doctor to sign me off as reasonably healthy.

I asked also about my driving status here and he said they do not recognize the British license but do recognize the French and German ones. I did not apply for an International Drivers License before I left as I had read on here that they were not that useful. However Captain Sensible is correct if I had one I would be allowed to drive here for a year without getting a PA license. He also informed me that technically I should not even be driving here at all with just my UK license. I said that the car rental company had no problem in accepting it to which he said I am sure they had no problem in accepting your money either.

So need to find a doctor and then apply for the learners permit and the test although I was told yesterday there is a 6 week waiting list for the test.

GRH
Old May 15th 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License in PA

Of course I am being all smug now

Glad you got it sorted. You will need a reasonably thorough medical from the doctor and it cost me $30 which was not covered under my insurance - might be different for you!

PS just for clarity, it's the international drivers permit (not license - that's a different thing) available from main post offices in the UK for £5.