Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving license - North Carolina

Driving license - North Carolina

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Vinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really nice
Default Driving license - North Carolina

Hi everyone

I want some sort of confirmation basically. I am planning to move to North Carolina in October and my company are providing me with a vehicle for the first month I arrive. After that I need to get myself a car.

Thinking of the Driving License situation am I right in thinking I can only use my UK license for 30 days before I have to take a driving test?

Also I "heard" that you cannot take a driving test in a rented vehicle. Therefore the car that work are providing me (rented) when I arrive cannot be used to take my test....but then if I need to take it within 30 days.... how do I get round this? Bit of a catch 22.

Unless of course I have got all this information incorrectly.....so looking for anyone to help out here.

Thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license - North Carolina

Hi, if you use the search button on the yellow bar at the top of the page you will find lots of posts about this over the last few months. Also go to the DMV site for the State in which you are moving to the requirements are different for each State.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:39 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

here ya go..have a read through

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv.../applying.html

I don't know if you need your SSN but I would take it just in case, (it'll probably make your trip a whole lot easier)..and about the rental car, I have really no idea, just give the local office a ring and I'm sure they'll let you know..

Last edited by lisag8070; Aug 3rd 2010 at 1:43 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

We had bought a car in that time frame, so can't comment on that, but I will say study the handbook as there are some odd (to me, at least) questions on the test. There are some sample tests online to give you an idea though.
Headlights on when using wipers, school bus rules, right on red, something odd about snow driving (don't do it, the place grinds to a halt after the supermarkets are raided because we don't get much here - of course I'm in the Triangle, the mountains are different) anyhow, the driving part is easy.
Good Luck.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice

Hi.. I had the same problem when I moved to Charlotte.. What I did was to Hire a driving instructor for a 2 hr lesson It cost $40 per hour.. She was great.. she took me through the route that the test goes.. Corrected me on things we are made to do in UK which are a big No no here! she then let me use her car for the test. (test is very very easy compared to UK standards) then we went for a drive on the interstate which is what one of my main concerns were.

It was the best way around the situation. as i couldn't use hire car, and couldn't buy a car without a licence and insurance?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryff31
Hi.. I had the same problem when I moved to Charlotte.. What I did was to Hire a driving instructor for a 2 hr lesson It cost $40 per hour.. She was great.. she took me through the route that the test goes.. Corrected me on things we are made to do in UK which are a big No no here! she then let me use her car for the test. (test is very very easy compared to UK standards) then we went for a drive on the interstate which is what one of my main concerns were.

It was the best way around the situation. as i couldn't use hire car, and couldn't buy a car without a licence and insurance?
Funny enough, I just did the same thing in CA. Having driven for years in the UK I knew I had some bad habits, or should I say things you shouldnt do given a formal test. And given I had to wait three weeks for a behind the wheel test date courtesy of the ever shut DMV ( Every Friday now dontcha know) the thought of failing the test on some stupid little thing was too much.

So I had a lesson or two, used the instructors car for the test itself and passed first attempt ( despite a pedestrian walking out in front of me ! ) so I consider it money well spent to be honest.

A lot of people laugh at how easy the tests are in comparison to the UK and thats fair comment, but given how important it is to have a DL here why take the chance of screwing it up I say. It was also good as I got to use the instructors car which was a Prius and I have always wondered what the hybrids are like to drive, and now I know!
Old Aug 7th 2010, 6:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
It was also good as I got to use the instructors car which was a Prius and I have always wondered what the hybrids are like to drive, and now I know!
And..?? (I'm curious too!)
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

I liked it. Its silent at times and thats a bit strange though. Definitely different and takes a bit of getting used to.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Vinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really nice

Originally Posted by mommapudding
We had bought a car in that time frame, so can't comment on that, but I will say study the handbook as there are some odd (to me, at least) questions on the test. There are some sample tests online to give you an idea though.
Headlights on when using wipers, school bus rules, right on red, something odd about snow driving (don't do it, the place grinds to a halt after the supermarkets are raided because we don't get much here - of course I'm in the Triangle, the mountains are different) anyhow, the driving part is easy.
Good Luck.
How is the Triangle area? Thats the area I will be working in...so will need to find a family home around that area
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:49 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Do not know about the driving test in Charlotte, never had to take one.
But I do know that several states do not allow hire cars for the test, as previously mentioned just go to a driving school.
My first USA license was in Florida so I went to a school took two lessons to practice driving on the other side and then took my test, which lasted 3 1/2 minutes, I drove around a car park and parked and that was it.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Does Volvo make one?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
I liked it. Its silent at times and thats a bit strange though. Definitely different and takes a bit of getting used to.
Originally Posted by meauxna
We traded in a Prius in March for an Escape...starting to wish we hadn't, the SYNC thing on the Escape, which is one of the reasons we bought it, doesn't understand my accent
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
We traded in a Prius in March for an Escape...starting to wish we hadn't, the SYNC thing on the Escape, which is one of the reasons we bought it, doesn't understand my accent
Can't you customize it to use an English accent? Most voice command things that are sold in multiple countries can be and often have English Australian-UK-US settings.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

My GPS is in Australian it's ace!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an old post of mine from 2004 (can't believe it's that long ago!) regarding the NC driver license written exam:

The US seems to make most of these kind of tests quite practical. Which is a refreshing thing from the BS you tend to get in the UK.

For example, here's a couple of written test questions I was asked when I sat the NC driver license written:

In general, the country roads are more:

a) straight
b) curvy
c) hilly

b is the correct answer

How would you signal to other drivers that you have broken down?

a) Place a red warning triange 50ft behind the vehicle
b) Pull off to one side and put up the hood
c) Use your emergency flashers

b is the correct answer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.