driving license in new jersey

driving license in new jersey

Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:20 pm
AAM
Just Joined

AAM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default drivers license in new jersey

Hello all,

I know the driving issue has been discussed here several times but I have a specific question so please bear with me.....

My husband & I will be moving to New Jersey next month (on H1 & H4 visas respectively).Apparently since we have a UK driving license we only need to take the written test to be able to get an US driving license. The New Jersey DMV site mentions that one needs to have a Social Security Card (among a whole lot of other documents) for the 6 point verification. Since I will be in the US on a H 4 visa I won't have a SSC. So does that mean I won't be able to apply for the driving license?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by AAM; Nov 25th 2009 at 9:31 pm. Reason: addition
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: drivers license in new jersey

Originally Posted by AAM
So does that mean I won't be able to apply for the driving license?
If you must have a SSN, yes. However, find out whether or not they will accept a letter from SSA indicating that you are not eligible to get a SSN and see if they will accept that. SSA is usually pretty happy to give you such a letter.

Ian
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AAM
Hello all,

I know the driving issue has been discussed here several times but I have a specific question so please bear with me.....

My husband & I will be moving to New Jersey next month (on H1 & H4 visas respectively).Apparently since we have a UK driving license we only need to take the written test to be able to get an US driving license. The New Jersey DMV site mentions that one needs to have a Social Security Card (among a whole lot of other documents) for the 6 point verification. Since I will be in the US on a H 4 visa I won't have a SSC. So does that mean I won't be able to apply for the driving license?

Sorry I don't know the answer to that question but I do know that NJ DMV are extremely strict about the verification points. Unless things have changed...you can't get NJ auto insurance without a NJ licence and you can't drive a vehicle away from the dealership until they verify your insurance directly with the insurance company.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 25th 2009 at 10:26 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AAM
Hello all,

Having just done this, you can get Insurance without a NJ license, but they need it with 30 days (Geico anyways). You just need to give them your UK license number they were happy with that. But you do need to have your insurance IDs to be able to drive away the car, not the physical ones, an email pdf version is fine too.
But it is true you can't get a NJ license without a SSN OR a letter of denial.

My hubby passed his test yesterday, I have yet to get my SSN, will do that next week.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 3:01 pm
AAM
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NYCbound
Having just done this, you can get Insurance without a NJ license, but they need it with 30 days (Geico anyways). You just need to give them your UK license number they were happy with that. But you do need to have your insurance IDs to be able to drive away the car, not the physical ones, an email pdf version is fine too.
But it is true you can't get a NJ license without a SSN OR a letter of denial.

My hubby passed his test yesterday, I have yet to get my SSN, will do that next week.

Thanks for your response. So a letter of denial from the SS office should suffice......is that right?

Good Luck for your test.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

NYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud ofNYCbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AAM
Thanks for your response. So a letter of denial from the SS office should suffice......is that right?

Good Luck for your test.
That's what the lady at the NJ DMV in Freehold told me yesterday so you should be fine with that letter :-)

Good luck with your move, where in NJ are you going to?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 3:18 pm
AAM
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NYCbound
That's what the lady at the NJ DMV in Freehold told me yesterday so you should be fine with that letter :-)

Good luck with your move, where in NJ are you going to?

Thanks, thats quite a relief.......was agonising over this since yesterday...

We'll be up north in Clifton (which is close to hubby's office) for the first couple of months.....will start to look for a permanent place after we get there. Whereabouts are you? Can you suggest some good locations to rent an apartment/house in North NJ?

Last edited by AAM; Nov 26th 2009 at 4:11 pm. Reason: correction
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

AAM...it's worth checking to see if your husband's employer is a member of New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Co. They have a first class reputation in NJ.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:28 pm
AAM
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
AAM...it's worth checking to see if your husband's employer is a member of New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Co. They have a first class reputation in NJ.

don't know if they are...will find out. Thanks for the tip. Is it easier to get insurance through them? We are planning to rent a car for the 1st couple of months so we'll require an insurance for that too. The quote we've got from the car rental company is mind-boggling..............i guess the important thing to do would be to sort out the license ASAP.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by AAM
don't know if they are...will find out. Thanks for the tip. Is it easier to get insurance through them? We are planning to rent a car for the 1st couple of months so we'll require an insurance for that too. The quote we've got from the car rental company is mind-boggling..............i guess the important thing to do would be to sort out the license ASAP.
I'm not sure if it's easier but from what I've heard those that are eligible usually use them. Your premium should drop once you have a NJ licence.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:18 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
..you can't get NJ auto insurance without a NJ licence
Back in 2002 I got a company to insure me while on a VW - didn't get an NJ license for over 6 months when I finally had my L1, and after a 3 month wait for a SS number, so it can be done (was pretty expensive though).

Edit: I was actually told by the state MVC that an insurance company couldn"t refuse to insure me for that reason.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

JulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really niceJulesNYC is just really nice
Talking Re: drivers license in new jersey

Originally Posted by AAM
Thanks, thats quite a relief.......was agonising over this since yesterday...

We'll be up north in Clifton (which is close to hubby's office) for the first couple of months.....will start to look for a permanent place after we get there. Whereabouts are you? Can you suggest some good locations to rent an apartment/house in North NJ?
You'll be a couple of towns away from me! We're in Woodland Park.
A little tip for you - read up well on driving violations as I recall a heavy focus on violations in the written driving test when I took it 4 years ago. Insurance in NJ is the highest in the nation if I am not mistaken so shop around. I found the lowest rate with Travellers Insurance. Best of luck to you!
Old Nov 28th 2009, 4:53 pm
AAM
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JulesNYC
You'll be a couple of towns away from me! We're in Woodland Park.
A little tip for you - read up well on driving violations as I recall a heavy focus on violations in the written driving test when I took it 4 years ago. Insurance in NJ is the highest in the nation if I am not mistaken so shop around. I found the lowest rate with Travellers Insurance. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the tip.....will surely keep that in mind. From the feedback here Insurance does seem to be a bit of a headache.....for this one.

Isn't Woodland Park in the same county as Clifton??....How do you find life there?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

mcass202 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: driving license in new jersey

We moved to NJ from NY in July 09 but I didn't need to drive until now. I would like to avoid doing the road test if possible and just use my UK license and do the knowledge/vision tests...anybody have experience with this?

Do they ask how long you've been a NJ resident? Is it likely they could even verify if I said we just moved here a month ago?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving license in new jersey

No idea, but kudos for searching out a thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.