Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving license information

Driving license information

Old Mar 22nd 2001, 9:43 pm
John Smith

I recently got in an accident and got 6 demerit points (ottawa ontario Canada) on my
driving license Does anyone know if these points get carried over if I move to some
state in US (california ). Also someone suggested i can try to get a new license
instead of getting my current license (ontario license) exchanged.. is this a valid
proposition. Also if anyone knows of any good website detailing driving related
information, that woul d be a big help.. thanks a lot!

Old Mar 23rd 2001, 5:59 am
Stuart Gill

In California they _won't_ let you exchange your license you must do the whole
process from the start. The only concession you get for having a license already is
that you are given a temporary license after you pass the written test.

This will mean that the DMV doesn't know about your Ontario demerits (6 by the way is
a lot - what did you do? run down an old lady?) and your insurer likely won't either.
However, you will either have to tell them on the application (they ask) or you will
have to lie to them. If you lie to them and they find out they can cancel your policy
at any time for fraud. This could leave you owing lots of cash if they cancelled out
on you when you made a claim.

Stuart

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >