Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving license in CT and drugs and alcohol course

Driving license in CT and drugs and alcohol course

Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving license in CT and drugs and alcohol course

Originally Posted by EricK
In CT the limit is 30 days on your UK license from the date you become a resident:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=805&Q=244776&dmvPNavCtr=|28069|#28073

Once you have established residency in Connecticut, you have 30 days to transfer your out-of-state license to Connecticut.
I was sure it was that too Erick, I'm glad you posted that because I think if she doesn't get it within 30 days and has an accident, it could have detrimental affects.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

beaglette is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisa67
But if you were to be in an accident and were found not to have a current US drivers license and the LAW says you should have one within 60 days of living in your state, would you then be covered?
An unlicensed driver recently plowed into me and caused thousands and thousands of dollars worth of damage...he was ticketed and if this were to happen to you then it could effect your immigration status.
Insurance is not a problem - someone crashed into me in California, we claimed through my company even though it was the other party's fault, and there was no problem whatsoever, and in California you have 15 days in theory to change your license (though I was in a bit of a grey area visa-wise). At the moment we can't really establish residency as we are in a holiday house, so no utilities, no proper contract, so even my dh is waiting until we move into our permanent home to do his tests (he already did the course). Maybe I'll just have to make more trips home and keep UK residency for the meantime - I don't work, I don't pay taxes, I only really exist here as an attachment to my OH :-) Otherwise I can sabbotage the course by taking my son with me (sorry, milk or no milk, he cries when mum's not around, just can't do that to him for 4 hours at a time). My husband said there was an oriental guy there who took his children with him (older) because he didn't speak a word of english, so not sure how much he learnt there! And, yes, the 30 days is correct - my slip with the 60.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by beaglette
Insurance is not a problem - someone crashed into me in California, we claimed through my company even though it was the other party's fault, and there was no problem whatsoever, and in California you have 15 days in theory to change your license (though I was in a bit of a grey area visa-wise). At the moment we can't really establish residency as we are in a holiday house, so no utilities, no proper contract, so even my dh is waiting until we move into our permanent home to do his tests (he already did the course). Maybe I'll just have to make more trips home and keep UK residency for the meantime - I don't work, I don't pay taxes, I only really exist here as an attachment to my OH :-) Otherwise I can sabbotage the course by taking my son with me (sorry, milk or no milk, he cries when mum's not around, just can't do that to him for 4 hours at a time). My husband said there was an oriental guy there who took his children with him (older) because he didn't speak a word of english, so not sure how much he learnt there! And, yes, the 30 days is correct - my slip with the 60.
Are you a teenager by chance? I sense a certain amount of teenage rebellion in your tone.

With all due respect this is not difficult, it is just a bit of dull time thats all.

Your excuses about being unable to leave the sprog just don't add up. It is a very sad state of affairs if a father cant look after the child for a few hours.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. How so you not really exist here as an attachment to your OH, and why would you need to return to the UK to keep up residency. What has that to do with sitting your driving test for CT, I would have thought if you were in an accident, heaven forbid, and the police checked that you didn't have a valid CT license, you could be in trouble. Maybe someone else can clarify this, Nutmegger is usually good with CT rules and regulations. I'm just a bit confused by your last post.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by airways
Are you a teenager by chance? I sense a certain amount of teenage rebellion in your tone.

With all due respect this is not difficult, it is just a bit of dull time thats all.

Your excuses about being unable to leave the sprog just don't add up. It is a very sad state of affairs if a father cant look after the child for a few hours.
Not a teenager or any way near there I'm afraid. Rebellion? Not really, though not a fan of red tape. Was it my comment about sabotaging the course that you consider rebellious? Obviously we don't share the same sense of humour. If you read my original post I explained that I can do boring, I can do the tests, my only problem is the baby. Sorry if that somehow offends you - I think I have been respectful with my replies until now which have all shown an interest in helping, and am very grateful for the advice offered. It is funny though how in so many threads there always has to be someone who ends up making assumptions about someone else's personal family decisions - what the 'state of affairs' in my family is is really my business, not yours. Which is why I made it clear at the beginning that I was not PREPARED to leave him, rather than it was physically impossible, I was wondering if anyone had found an alternate albeit lengthy pathway.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Not a teenager or any way near there I'm afraid. Rebellion? Not really, though not a fan of red tape. Was it my comment about sabotaging the course that you consider rebellious? Obviously we don't share the same sense of humour. If you read my original post I explained that I can do boring, I can do the tests, my only problem is the baby. Sorry if that somehow offends you - I think I have been respectful with my replies until now which have all shown an interest in helping, and am very grateful for the advice offered. It is funny though how in so many threads there always has to be someone who ends up making assumptions about someone else's personal family decisions - what the 'state of affairs' in my family is is really my business, not yours. Which is why I made it clear at the beginning that I was not PREPARED to leave him, rather than it was physically impossible, I was wondering if anyone had found an alternate albeit lengthy pathway.
My apologies. I did not mean to cause offence, but it strikes me that you are looking to find a curve in a straight road and I was curious to understand why.

If you are unprepared to leave the child with its father then you are housebound by the look of it. Breaking the law when on a Visa is a pretty quick way to get thrown out the country as I understand it. That is perhaps more upheaval than leaving the child for a few hours to jump through the hoops?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The driving instructor at the school today said there was no need to stress about the 60 day limit - as long as I have a license there shouldn't be a problem, they aren't that strict apparently. So I'll wait until ds is a little bigger and get it sorted then.
Instructor is wrong...and you want your insurance to have it in writing that they are okay with you driving without a valid US license, because if you do get involved in a shunt, they'll void your policy and then you'll potentially face driving without a valid license on top of driving without insurance.

It is the winter, and shunts are a lot more likely to happen.

You really should consider just taking the test
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance is not a problem - someone crashed into me in California, we claimed through my company even though it was the other party's fault, and there was no problem whatsoever, and in California you have 15 days in theory to change your license (though I was in a bit of a grey area visa-wise). At the moment we can't really establish residency as we are in a holiday house, so no utilities, no proper contract, so even my dh is waiting until we move into our permanent home to do his tests (he already did the course).
If your husband is working in the state, then you're presumed to have residence in that state unless you show you are residing in another state, so you are residence of CT.

Just because a previous insurance company, in another state was okay with it, does not mean that will be the case in the future, and if it's anything more than a scratched door panel, they might actually look more deeply to avoid paying out, when a door panel can easily cost a couple of grand just on its own for instance.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brat1
I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. How so you not really exist here as an attachment to your OH, and why would you need to return to the UK to keep up residency. What has that to do with sitting your driving test for CT, I would have thought if you were in an accident, heaven forbid, and the police checked that you didn't have a valid CT license, you could be in trouble. Maybe someone else can clarify this, Nutmegger is usually good with CT rules and regulations. I'm just a bit confused by your last post.
If I am not resident in CT (for more than 183 days per year I believe) I can use a UK license, just as anyone living in California half of the year can drive in NY on a Californian license, just depends on where you pay taxes basically (nobody really counts how many days). My visa is via my husband - theoretically I can reside in the UK and come here for up to 182 days per year as some people actually do - I have the right to live here, but I don't have to (as long as I am not more than 365 continuous days out). But anyway, it doesn't really matter - I'm not driving around anywhere at the moment, and can walk to where I need to go or get the train further, so I am not going to crash, cause an accident or or anything else. I'll get it sorted as and when I can.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

I think you have a serious misunderstanding of your visa status and may benefit from talking to an immigration lawyer.

You are in the US on a Visa, you have a visa stamp in your passport. If you don't then you are illegal. As the holder of a resident visa you are subject to the laws of the USA. You cant create hybrid rules to suit your own needs.

I am going through this exact cycle at the moment as I will be entering the USA as a dependant on my wifes work L1A.

I really think you are going to get yourself into trouble.........
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought you said in your original post that you really needed to drive and that's why you were asking the question.

If you can walk everywhere and don't really need a car then that's great. Unfortunately, where I am in CT I would be really stuck without a car and needed to get my license. I am also here through my husbands visa and my understanding is that because I have an address here and have a valid current visa, then I am a resident of CT and have to abide by the rules and regulations of the State, even though my citizenship is in the UK. Even if you did reside back in the UK for a portion of the year, as long as you are resident here for more than 30 days, then your international license is just not valid.

Sorry if I'm missing the point here, the way I see it you have 2 choices. Either, be prepared to leave your little one and go and do the 8 hour course, so that you can sit your test, or wait until you feel comfortable leaving your wee one with someone else, and make do with walking everywhere.

I hope you get it sorted out, because having 3 kids of my own, I know how much I depend on my car in case of emergencies, and I've had 2 of those since we moved here and would really have been stuck had I not been mobile.

Good luck.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

I think you have a serious misunderstanding of your visa status and may benefit from talking to an immigration lawyer.

You are in the US on a Visa, you have a visa stamp in your passport. If you don't then you are illegal. As the holder of a resident visa you are subject to the laws of the USA. You cant create hybrid rules to suit your own needs.

I am going through this exact cycle at the moment as I will be entering the USA as a dependant on my wifes work L1A.

I really think you are going to get yourself into trouble.........
Of course I have to abide by US laws. If I was on holiday I would have to abide by US laws. Do I have to live here all year? No. Not that I am going to do that, but I could, and people do it all the time - I am living in a house owned by British people who come here for several times a year, for several months, but they are UK residents, and as such do not need a CT license. I could if I wanted do the same, just as I have frioend in California who drive half the year in NY - you can't have licenses from 2 states. But anyway, as I said, I am not breaking any laws as I am not driving, and though it would be great, I can manage without until I can sort my situation. I was just wondering whether anyone had found a loophole really. And I hope nobody ever goes more than 55mph here either - that would also be breaking the law!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Of course I have to abide by US laws. If I was on holiday I would have to abide by US laws. Do I have to live here all year? No. Not that I am going to do that, but I could, and people do it all the time - I am living in a house owned by British people who come here for several times a year, for several months, but they are UK residents, and as such do not need a CT license. I could if I wanted do the same, just as I have frioend in California who drive half the year in NY - you can't have licenses from 2 states. But anyway, as I said, I am not breaking any laws as I am not driving, and though it would be great, I can manage without until I can sort my situation. I was just wondering whether anyone had found a loophole really. And I hope nobody ever goes more than 55mph here either - that would also be breaking the law!
When you say several times a year for several months you will need to explain. if they are non resident then they are coming on a VWP which is 90 days maximum. If they are coming for a holiday then they don't need a licence.

You are on a visa and as such you are a resident. As a resident you need to abide by the rules......
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

And before anyone says anything, I don't speed!!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

When you say several times a year for several months you will need to explain. if they are non resident then they are coming on a VWP which is 90 days maximum. If they are coming for a holiday then they don't need a licence.

You are on a visa and as such you are a resident. As a resident you need to abide by the rules......
If I have a greencard, I don't have to live here. I can live in the UK if I want. Or California and drive on a California license can't I if I am only here less than half the year? Not going to, but I'm sure I can if I want - I don't have to live with my husband if I don't want to. Maybe I missed something along the way. Mybe I can just move to NJ :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.