Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving license / car / insurance - going crazy

Driving license / car / insurance - going crazy

Old Aug 10th 2007, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light
Default Driving license / car / insurance - going crazy

Hi All,

Wonder if anyone has faced this problem. I'm currently staying in Rhode Island, have just applied for my US driving license. I did the written test / eye exam stuff and got my learners permit (feel like I'm 17 again), road test is scheduled for October(!)

Problem is that the only car that I have to use is a rental (paid for by company), and I'm not allowed to take the test in that as the legal owner cannot be present at the time of the road test....back in the UK I would have just hired a driving school car (and instructor of course) for a couple of hours, but everyone here seems to be taught by their parents.... Does anyone know if something similar exists here or did anyone find another work around...?

Thanks
Old Aug 10th 2007, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving license / car / insurance - going crazy

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Hi All,

Wonder if anyone has faced this problem. I'm currently staying in Rhode Island, have just applied for my US driving license. I did the written test / eye exam stuff and got my learners permit (feel like I'm 17 again), road test is scheduled for October(!)

Problem is that the only car that I have to use is a rental (paid for by company), and I'm not allowed to take the test in that as the legal owner cannot be present at the time of the road test....back in the UK I would have just hired a driving school car (and instructor of course) for a couple of hours, but everyone here seems to be taught by their parents.... Does anyone know if something similar exists here or did anyone find another work around...?

Thanks
Plenty of driver schools here too check the yellow pages
Old Aug 10th 2007, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

why Oct for the test ?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by southern comfort
why Oct for the test ?
Earliest date that they had - would you believe it. I thought I'd get a road test the next week or something
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:14 am
Hooch

On Aug 10, 7:28 pm, ri_mischief <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Wonder if anyone has faced this problem. I'm currently staying in Rhode
> Island, have just applied for my US driving license. I did the written
> test / eye exam stuff and got my learners permit (feel like I'm 17
> again), road test is scheduled for October(!)
>
> Problem is that the only car that I have to use is a rental (paid for by
> company), and I'm not allowed to take the test in that as the legal
> owner cannot be present at the time of the road test....back in the UK I
> would have just hired a driving school car (and instructor of course)
> for a couple of hours, but everyone here seems to be taught by their
> parents.... Does anyone know if something similar exists here or did
> anyone find another work around...?

I took a Massachusetts driving test in a driving school car many years
ago.
The driving instructor was present for the test.