Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving License in California

Driving License in California

Old Mar 27th 2010, 2:11 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License in California

Originally Posted by princessyoga
Can I revive this thread to ask a question?

Would I have to taken another practical test? I initially took drivers ed etc and got a CA driving license at 16 (in 1991). I then transferred that to a Massachusetts license when I moved to Boston. That has since expired but I still have it. I am a considered a MA resident for voting purposes. When moved here 11 1/2 years ago. I took the test for a Northern Irish license.

So when I move back to San Diego anyone if I can just have my CA license reinstated, transfer my MA license and will I have to go the whole process again?

I know that dh will have to start from scratch since he has only ever had a Northern Irish license.

Thanks

I moved back to Illinois with my CA Licence and when I returned to CA I had to do the writtien and driven but that was 4 years ago.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

princessyoga is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I moved back to Illinois with my CA Licence and when I returned to CA I had to do the writtien and driven but that was 4 years ago.
Cheers for the information. Hopefully they have changed the rules but I don't it. if I passed first time in CA and Northern Ireland I can do it again. I saw someone suggestion of asking the sheriffs. My mom works for the San Diego County sheriff and I know many people in the department including the main man himself.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I just returned to California after living in Canada for 6 years, and just had to take the written test but my CA license had not yet expired and was still on file so it was considered a renewal, if yours has expired might change things.