Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving License in California

Driving License in California

Old Aug 15th 2009, 11:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License in California

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Not a clue what you've been reading.
The post on VJ.
The Brittney Spear's trial for the same offense (Google is your friend).
Sugarmooma's post.

There's three to start your reading.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 11:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
When my daughter moved from Tx to California she procrastinated about getting a Ca license. She thought she would wait until
her inspection tags expired and then would get license, tags etc.

Wrong choice!

She got stopped one day by a cop and he asked her how long she had been in Cali, she told the truth and was given a ticket, had her car impounded until she had everything changed over and got a hefty fine.
That was a hard lesson to learn.
That's a little like my daughter thinking (because all her friends had told her and what do her parents know anyway) that the traffic cops will let you off your first speeding charge. Yeah right...another one that learnt the hard way.

To the OP whether you get your DL in Ca or not...the US driving test is a piece of cake compared to the UK. In many states you only have to take a multiple choice test...you may not need to take a practical test because you already have a license. My daughter's driving test lasted 5 mins tops....she drove about 100 yards in an empty car park then had to reverse between 2 cones placed about 50 ft apart.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065

The first part of this is incorrect.
Different states have different rules and CA most definitely does not require you to be a resident in order to get a driver's license (as mentioned above, they want your money whoever yo
u are!). It does require people who become resident to get a CA license within 10 days but that doesn't mean that people who are not residents cannot get licenses - they most definitely can. All you need is proof of identity and lawful presence which your passport and visa will provide.

So, I suggest that you plan on getting a CA driver's license as soon as possible after you arrive.
Originally Posted by MandyNi
Jez, what a can of worms! Sounds like I'm between a rock and a hard place. I'd go for a CA license if I can get whatever they need for residency, even though it will not be "home" for either of us in fact even now, before we go, we know the date when we will be leaving.
As I understand it, and it is complicated, md is right- You don't 'need 'anything for residency - the point is the other way around - if you are a resident, you need a CA licence in 10 days. The argument hangs on whether they define you as a resident.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's a little like my daughter thinking (because all her friends had told her and what do her parents know anyway) that the traffic cops will let you off your first speeding charge. Yeah right...another one that learnt the hard way.

To the OP whether you get your DL in Ca or not...the US driving test is a piece of cake compared to the UK. In many states you only have to take a multiple choice test...you may not need to take a practical test because you already have a license. My daughter's driving test lasted 5 mins tops....she drove about 100 yards in an empty car park then had to reverse between 2 cones placed about 50 ft apart.
I think OP is concerned about the tax situation.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yeah I realise that. If you're a student you don't have to change your license...I think this would be a similar situation. Or at least that's what a friend said when he was doing a Phd at Berkley. Trouble is if the OP asks at the DMV she'll probably get a different answer every time she asks. :rolleys:

I won't even go into the trouble it was to get our daughter's NJ license transferred to Ontario. Cost hundreds of $'s and took almost 6 months.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:27 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

The test is 36 multiple choice questions and you can get 3 wrong if I remember rightly, and the driving test I had in modesto was about 20-30mins at the DMV and on the road, if she gets an old battle axe like I had it might not be so easy.

Another after thought, I know the forms state what ID you need to bring along but I still had to take letters addressed to me in CA before they would except my driving licence application, this was 5 years ago.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
The test is 36 multiple choice questions and you can get 3 wrong if I remember rightly, and the driving test I had in modesto was about 20-30mins at the DMV and on the road, if she gets an old battle axe like I had it might not be so easy.

Another after thought, I know the forms state what ID you need to bring along but I still had to take letters addressed to me in CA before they would except my driving licence application, this was 5 years ago.
My son just took his written test, I think it was 40 questions and you can get 8 wrong. Yes, the California test is on the road although not as hard as the British test.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

My son just took his written test, I think it was 40 questions and you can get 8 wrong. Yes, the California test is on the road although not as hard as the British test.
I find it very odd that it's not a nationwide standardised test...very strange indeed.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I can vouch for what a pain CA taxes are. I assume the OP's hubby will still be paid by his company in VA, by a regular paycheck issues as usual when he is physically in VA?

My husband lives and resides permanently in Arizona. His clients are mostly in California, so he opened a workshop here and stays there several weeks at a time. He pays rent on the workshop, and of course pays utility bills for the phone, electric, etc there at the workshop. The business headquarters (main office) is in Phoenix.

Unfortunately, he gave his clients the physical address of his workshop (well, he had to, so they'd know where their rugs are going), but the clients then addressed the 1099's (self employment end-of-year tax statement) to the workshop in CA. He of course got a notice a year later that he had failed to file a CA state tax return, since he showed earnings in CA and never filed a tax return (we did it in AZ).

So now each year we have to file a CA tax return on top of our AZ one, and send proof to CA that he resides in AZ and pays state tax here. We don't have to pay the CA state tax because we pay in AZ, but we have to prove to CA that we do live elsewhere and file tax in that state.

And getting his clients to change the address on the 1099's they send out, so they would send them to AZ has been like pulling teeth. Every year they say oh yes, we'll change it, and then they don't.

It's a big hassle, I tell ya.

Oh, hubby's State ID is Arizona, and he's never had a problem showing his ID from Arizona in CA. He doesn't drive, so that solves the Drivers License question for him.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Aug 16th 2009 at 12:37 am.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - the tax situation is a concern and something for which the OP's soon to be husband should probably seek professional advice and not rely solely on what his employer tells him.

If he is currently resident in VA and returns there after 6 months in CA I think that he is probably OK.

It is possible that the OP herself might be considered resident in CA for the time that she is there and it is possible that this will have absolutely no effect on her husband's tax situation (or hers, assuming that she isn't working in CA and doesn't have an income for that 6 months), but once again that is something that should be checked with a tax professional who is knowledgeable about CA taxes.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I find it very odd that it's not a nationwide standardised test...very strange indeed.
Why is it any odder than the fact that everything from the death penalty to whether or not you can keep a ferret as a pet is also different from state to state?

Remember this is a "union" of separate states not some big country that just got split up into states for administrative convenience ...

Actually you should be thankful that all of the states drive on the same side of the road ...
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:53 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If I was feeling shitty, I'd point out that that is why the collective youall will never 'get' the US.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Actually you should be thankful that all of the states drive on the same side of the road ...
PS: you've just suggested my next ballot amendment for our state!
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

LOL we are both wrong http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_q...s_written_test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.