Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving License in California

Driving License in California

Old Aug 15th 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License in California

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
How to apply for a driver license if you are over 18
If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

Yeah Poppy girl, that's what I'm just wanting to try and double check, I won't be establishing residency in CA as it's just a temporary stint. M. will continue to all intents and purposes continue to be a resident of VA, but obviously we'll have to wait until we get back there before I can.

I'm assuming if you managed to drive around for a year that's it's not illegal then or were you just lucky and not get stopped!?
Old Aug 15th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Emjoy, I'll see if I can contact them.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 3:37 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Yeah Poppy girl, that's what I'm just wanting to try and double check, I won't be establishing residency in CA as it's just a temporary stint. M. will continue to all intents and purposes continue to be a resident of VA, but obviously we'll have to wait until we get back there before I can.

I'm assuming if you managed to drive around for a year that's it's not illegal then or were you just lucky and not get stopped!?
I did not get stopped.

If you get no joy one of my best friends is a CHP cop I will get the answer for you monday
Old Aug 15th 2009, 3:42 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Emjoy, I'll see if I can contact them.
Thats Mr Emjoy to you.

I think Poppy Girl has the best course of action here, let's see what she's produces
Old Aug 15th 2009, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I did not get stopped.

That makes a change....
Old Aug 15th 2009, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Thats Mr Emjoy to you.

I think Poppy Girl has the best course of action here, let's see what she's produces
OK Sir! I'll remember that for future reference MrEmjoy Sir! lol
Old Aug 15th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

You are welcome.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 4:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

That's crazy, you are not taking up residence in California. I'd go as far as to say you should try to, and don't (won't) qualify for a CA license.

Is M going to get one? (no)
Did Steerpike, on temp work assignment, get an Arizona license? (no)
If I were xferred (or just went) to another state for six months, I would not get a new license.
Now clearly all three of the above are US citizens with DLs in other US states (reciprocity) but I don't think it changes for you.

Where are you going to file your AOS?

I'll bet a dollar you'd be OK on your UK license in practice if not in theory.

Where is M keeping his tax residency? That should be your permanent address.
The California taxes are no joke, so I can see why he's being advised that way.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

After all you did ask.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
That's crazy, you are not taking up residence in California. I'd go as far as to say you should try to, and don't (won't) qualify for a CA license.

Is M going to get one? (no)
Did Steerpike, on temp work assignment, get an Arizona license? (no)
If I were xferred (or just went) to another state for six months, I would not get a new license.
Now clearly all three of the above are US citizens with DLs in other US states (reciprocity) but I don't think it changes for you.

Where are you going to file your AOS?

I'll bet a dollar you'd be OK on your UK license in practice if not in theory.

Where is M keeping his tax residency? That should be your permanent address.
The California taxes are no joke, so I can see why he's being advised that way.
He's been told to do that otherwise this temporary assignment will actually end up costing him big $$$ and he'll seriously be out of pocket, which, as his employers want him to go hardly seems fair. So yes, M. will keep his tax residency in VA, and yes, that will be my permanent address although depending on the timing I might have to do my AOS in California.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CelticRover
After all you did ask.
Indeed I did!
Old Aug 15th 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Take care and best wishes!
Old Aug 15th 2009, 5:06 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

He's been told to do that otherwise this temporary assignment will actually end up costing him big $$$ and he'll seriously be out of pocket, which, as his employers want him to go hardly seems fair. So yes, M. will keep his tax residency in VA, and yes, that will be my permanent address although depending on the timing I might have to do my AOS in California.
Meaunxa will probably know this better then me, but if you AOS in CA then you will have to have it transfered to VA when you leave, which will cause a delay,plus then surely the AOS is enough to inticate residency, should it be looked into for what ever reason
Old Aug 15th 2009, 5:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You should probably follow up on this in the immigration forum, but I believe you can file your AOS where M's permanent residence is.
You will be on a long holiday in CA, not 'living' there.

The biometrics is going to be a )*&^% to figure out but not as bad as trying to xfer a case across country.

Filing your AOS could be at cross purposes to what M is doing by being 'temporary'.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 5:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The reciprocal agreement on a Federal level between the UK and USA on driving licenses is that each is valid for one year in the others country. Some States choose to ignore this and make your own rules.

In the circumstances you describe, not being a resident of California, your UK license is good for one year. If in doubt contact the California State Police and ask them what the situation is. The usually know more than a local department or most people at the DMV. After all they are writing the tickets .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.