Reload this Page >

Driving License in America without I-94W

Driving License in America without I-94W

Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Buzzinabout is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Driving License in America without I-94W

Hi everyone.

I'm curious as to how people are going about getting a US drivers license and if the DMVs in the USA are up to speed on how the I-94W is no longer given in paper format.

All you get now (if like most people from Europe) is a stamp in your passport.

I have looked at all the DMVs for the places I'm going this year and they require I-94W paper to show 'authorised presence' I have every other thing like SSN, and an already expired DL.

Has anyone run into difficulty with this conundrum?

I'd like to think that the DMV is aware that I-94Ws are no longer given when flying in but the cynic in me thinks they'll basically say 'No I-94' no DL

Help!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:46 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License in America without I-94W

Originally Posted by Buzzinabout
Hi everyone.

I'm curious as to how people are going about getting a US drivers license and if the DMVs in the USA are up to speed on how the I-94W is no longer given in paper format.

I have looked at all the DMVs for the places I'm going this year and they require I-94W paper to show 'authorised presence' I have every other thing like SSN, and an already expired DL.

I'd like to think that the DMV is aware that I-94Ws are no longer given when flying in but the cynic in me thinks they'll basically say 'No I-94' no DL

Help!
Why do you want a US DL if you're coming for 90 days or less? Your home country license together with an international license (if not in English) should suffice.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ditto
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

For the past few years even before the I-94W was eliminated most state DMVs would not issue drivers' licenses to VWP visitors.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

OP has a SSN... wonder if I-94W was meant?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

eh, maybe... I've been in possession of both an I-94W and an SSN at a couple of points in the past.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 5:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well I agree on the point that you don't need one, no idea why you would want one. However you can get an I-94W, when you arrive, explain to CBP that you need an I-94W for identity purposes, they send you to secondary and you can get one issued there. It's pretty common for Canadians to have to do this, we don't get an I-94 at all when we enter and various legal things in the US require you to show an admission number. So they print one off and staple it into the passport.

Different situation with Canadians though because we can stay longer (we enter as B-1/2), the question they'll ask you is why do you want an I-94W to get a DL when you're only staying 90 days... hmm... maybe you don't have non-immigrant intent.

You need a good explanation as to why you need to obtain state ID.

Also I'd check on the phone with the DMV, just because they have that requirement listed doesn't mean much, it may mean either (a) they don't need to see it or (b) they won't issue a DL even if you have it. Some States won't issue a DL for less than six months so it might say, I-94 is required, but if the I-94 is valid for less than six months it doesn't help you.

If it were me and this was a big deal for some reason, frankly I would apply for a B-1/2 visa.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well I agree on the point that you don't need one, no idea why you would want one. However you can get an I-94W, when you arrive, explain to CBP that you need an I-94W for identity purposes, they send you to secondary and you can get one issued there. It's pretty common for Canadians to have to do this, we don't get an I-94 at all when we enter and various legal things in the US require you to show an admission number. So they print one off and staple it into the passport.

Different situation with Canadians though because we can stay longer (we enter as B-1/2), the question they'll ask you is why do you want an I-94W to get a DL when you're only staying 90 days... hmm... maybe you don't have non-immigrant intent.

Also I'd check on the phone with the DMV, just because they have that requirement listed doesn't mean much, it may mean either (a) they don't need to see it or (b) they won't issue a DL even if you have it. Some States won't issue a DL for less than six months so it might say, I-94 is required, but if the I-94 is valid for less than six months it doesn't help you.

If it were me and this was a big deal for some reason, frankly I would apply for a B-1/2 visa.
A US-issued driver license must surely be a red flag for immigrant intent.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:17 am
Just Joined

Immigration intent has nothing to do with DL issue by a DMV so that's a non-starter FB (you really are pbsessed about people and immigration intent).

My deal is whether a DMV is on the ball with the I-94W now being a stamp and if the DMVs have caught up with it or not.

The reason it went to a stamp was because the DHS wanted to save money, but the DMV weren't consulted. However, I'm just wondering what the effect 'on the ground' is...
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Steve_

B-1 /2 visa? No idea what one of those is.

Issue for a year is no problem, I'd be leaving at the end of the 3 months anyway. Let it run out when I leave the US.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:33 am
Septicity

Immigration intent has nothing to do with DL issue by a DMV so that's a non-starter FB (you really are pbsessed about people and immigration intent).
Yes it does. But it's your funeral, not mine.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:28 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm OK sure. Let's follow your version of immigration advice and knowledge instead shall we?

B-1 /2 visa? No idea what one of those is.
Errr...
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm totally gobsmacked at how silly your question is! Why on earth do you even need a US driver's license? What makes you think you even qualify for a US D/L?

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The reason it went to a stamp was because the DHS wanted to save money...
Umm... no, it wasn't - but if you want to believe that, it's fine with me.

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Help!
What state will you be applying to? In NJ you must prove residency...and proof of address...ie utility bill in your name. Most states now have very strict guidelines for issuing DLs.

Why do you need a US DL if you are visiting for a few months?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.