Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving License

Driving License

Old Jul 9th 2010, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Lucy NY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving License

Can anyone please advise me on what I need to do to get driving in the States? I am moving over early next year and will need to drive- if just for my sanity

I have a full UK license - with no claims or convictions but have no idea how I can get driving over there?

Help
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving License

I'm guessing you are New York-bound, so:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=new+york+state+driving+licence
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks - but I am still not clear on the boundries. I will be becoming a resident but ONLY when we have married - the K1 visa I am not classed as a resident so will I be able to drive on my UK license to begin with and then once I have my permanent resident status I have to go through the tests?

Also I am really not keen on giving my license over to the office for them to 'destroy'. I still need it for driving when I go back home and if I ever move back
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucy NY
Thanks - but I am still not clear on the boundries. I will be becoming a resident but ONLY when we have married - the K1 visa I am not classed as a resident so will I be able to drive on my UK license to begin with and then once I have my permanent resident status I have to go through the tests?

Also I am really not keen on giving my license over to the office for them to 'destroy'. I still need it for driving when I go back home and if I ever move back
The word "resident" for purposes like driving license mean where you live, not your immigrant status. It has nothing to do with getting your LPR. So if the web site says that if you're a "resident" then you have 30 days to get your license then that includes you.

Do Not hand over your UK license.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of

Don't confuse US Permanent Residence status with the residency requirement for getting a NY state DL - they are totally separate. You are required to get a local license within 30 days of becoming a resident of NY state - see http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/resident.htm .

I'm no expert on the K1, but I believe that K1 holders are eligible to get an SSN, so you will need to do that before applying for the license. Then follow the rules for Drivers of other Nations.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Ok so as soon as I arrive I need to get the SSN and then apply for the tests Never thought I would have to sit one those bas**rd test again
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, you need to wait about 10 days after arriving before you apply for your SSN, to enable your entry to work its way through "the system". If you go to SSA too early, then it could take *weeks* to get your SSN issued.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheCynick
Actually, you need to wait about 10 days after arriving before you apply for your SSN, to enable your entry to work its way through "the system". If you go to SSA too early, then it could take *weeks* to get your SSN issued.
Yeah I thought this, all this stuff is going to take time. Legally whilst this takes place I wander if I can drive on the UK license? For those ten days?
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah I thought this, all this stuff is going to take time. Legally whilst this takes place I wander if I can drive on the UK license? For those ten days?
Absolutely you may.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheCynick
Absolutely you may.
Yay Want to be able to get stuck straight in there and not hang around as driving is such a big thing to be anywhere and integrate with different people - dont want to be stuck in the house coz I cant drive
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

and don't worry about the test, compared to the UK one it really is a piece of cake
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone please advise me on what I need to do to get driving in the States? I am moving over early next year and will need to drive- if just for my sanity

I have a full UK license - with no claims or convictions but have no idea how I can get driving over there?

Help

You are moving to NY and suggest that you have a google for the dmv for nys.

You will have to take the test over, both written and driving, to get your NYS license. You will also need proof of your residence locally as well as USCIS proof of legal residency. Since you will coming in on a K-1, you will have to wait until you are issued your employment authorization document (EAD) which you will apply for once you marry and file for adjustment of status.

While the state says you must have a state license within 30 days of moving here, you will not be able to that so you can continue to drive on your UK license until you have the EAD. If you are stopped by a police officer after a traffic violation, you can give him your UK license and explain the situation if you wish. Also there is nothing in the law that says you have to tell them that you have a UK license. Only Canadians who are getting NYS Driver's Licenses have to do that and give up their Canadian Licenses in place of having to redo the tests. I believe the same is applied to German Driver's Licenses.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 9th 2010 at 1:57 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah if I gte stopped I am not totally sure the officer will be up to date on all the background of why I dont yet have an american license - oh the joys- all I can do is explain though
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so as soon as I arrive I need to get the SSN and then apply for the tests Never thought I would have to sit one those bas**rd test again
Lucy don't stress out about the test...it's nothing like the UK driving tests...it's very, very, easy. You do not have to hand over your UK licence...even if you did you can easily get another one...just apply to the DMV giving them your licence details ie number and a UK address.

I applied for my NJ licence within a few days of arriving in the UK. I realise you'll have to wait a while but my advice would be to get it over with as soon as you can.

I only had to take a multiple answer written test for a NJ licence...some states require both a written and practical test. Just to give you an idea of how easy the practical tests are...on my daughter's 17th birthday she took her driving test. The test centre had a large empty car park...she drove forward a couple of hundred yards....stopped and had to parallel park between 2 cones. The cones were about 50ft apart. That was it...she'd passed. The daughter of one of our members took her test on a road...she drove through a red light and still passed...I think that was in Illinois. A week later she was involved in an accident.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Lucy don't stress out about the test...it's nothing like the UK driving tests...it's very, very, easy. You do not have to hand over your UK licence...even if you did you can easily get another one...just apply to the DMV giving them your licence details ie number and a UK address.

I applied for my NJ licence within a few days of arriving in the UK. I realise you'll have to wait a while but my advice would be to get it over with as soon as you can.

I only had to take a multiple answer written test for a NJ licence...some states require both a written and practical test. Just to give you an idea of how easy the practical tests are...on my daughter's 17th birthday she took her driving test. The test centre had a large empty car park...she drove forward a couple of hundred yards....stopped and had to parallel park between 2 cones. The cones were about 50ft apart. That was it...she'd passed. The daughter of one of our members took her test on a road...she drove through a red light and still passed...I think that was in Illinois. A week later she was involved in an accident.
I have heard the american test is alot easier For NYS I think I ahve to do both written and practical but its ok, its all part of setting up a new life I guess.

Does anyone ever get the feeling that your the only person in the world having to deal with all this? My partner seems to think that once your married you can do what the heck you like without any paperwork......wishful thinking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.