Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving license

driving license

Old Oct 20th 2001, 4:42 am
Ian Stilgoe

hi, i am now happily married and living in louisiana thanks to everyones help, and
about to apply for aos etc. in regards to driving license, i went to apply for a
state driving license, to which a document was pulled out stating that people with k1
visas cannot get a driving license or even take the driving test, so when i apply for
aos, i assume i have to wait for another document to authorise me to obtain a
license, this makes it difficult for me applying for jobs etc., although i can still
drive on a tourist allowance as i have a uk driving license. after november 5th 2001
i will no longer be authorised to drive as a tourist as my 90 days are up. we were
also refused insurance on our car (by one company, and awaiting another to request a
copy of my state license) as it is a state where all possesions are 50 - 50,
therefore even if i never want to drive, my wife can not get insurance to drive the
car as i own half and "may" want to drive it! my question is - when i apply for aos,
what document will prove to the driving centre, that i am authorised to get a
license. thanks for your help once again Ian

Old Oct 20th 2001, 5:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your post is unbelievable. First off because Louisana property laws in terms of divorce settlement is 50/50 doesn't mean you own 1/2 of your wife's car when you marry. Any property (this is the case in most community property states) that belonged outright to one spouse before marriage, remains sole property of that spouse after marriage. Secondly, who, what and where did this "K-1's can't get a license" document come from. That seems ludicrious. As a K-1'er you are eligible for a social security card NOW. Don't know how long AOS takes in LA but an EAD card might do the trick for the DMV there. It does for Los Angeles, CA. As for the insurance, did the insurance company tell you this or did you just surmise this from reading something on the net? If it was the company, call another company and don't say you are 1/2 owner of the car, because you aren't.

Rita
Old Oct 20th 2001, 9:22 am
Br6richhy

hey ian go get your SS number and driving licence now, these are the first things i
sorted out when i entered on a K1 visa

good luck

Rich

Old Oct 20th 2001, 4:11 pm
Ian Stilgoe

after arriving in louisiana, the first thing i did was obtain my ssn. i opened bank
accounts etc and all that good stuff, when i went to dmv to request the driving test,
an internal memo was brought out, stating all the visas numbers who that are unable
to obtain a license, or even an id card. K1 visa was bottom of the list, now, i know
there has been problems here with the situation in the us of illegal immigrants and
non-immigrants trying to obtain licenses, so this may be a new document distributed.
the insurance company refused my wife insurance even when she asked for my name to be
excluded from the insurance policy the car is recorded in my wifes name, so
therefore, it is deemed her vehicle and not a shared vehicle. we went to a further
company who gave us a policy but warned that they would need to see a copy of my la
license for the policy to be able to continue, this request may take upto a month, so
hopefully i may be able to get something to allow me to apply. you are right Rete,
the post was unbelivable, it is very frustrating for us. The car was a gift to my
wife after marriage, and as we went to get insurance after marriage, this has caused
the problems,we were informed by the first company that if we were not married, my
wife could insure the vehicle. this may be a requirement for just that company, but
all the others seem keen to find a computer record of my driving information/bookings
etc, this is all recorded on the uk license, but it dosn't seem to help their case. i
shall go to the dmv and try and find out where the document came from and repost an
update to you all. thank you for your advice, Ian

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 20th 2001, 5:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ian

It might cost a little more money for the car insurance but I suggest you call GEICO. I have them and the same policy since 1968 and love them for their good service and 24/7 helpline.

They insured my husband without a green card and without an EAD card and without even a social security card the moment he crossed the border to NYS and before our marriage. They just added him as a driver to my policy and were willing to add his Canadian car as well.

I would check again and ask about whether the EAD card will serve as proof from INS that you have an AOS pending. If you have to, have your wife contact her Congress person for all the help they can give.

Rita
Old Oct 20th 2001, 7:31 pm
Colleywobbles

>
    >
    >
license,
    >
cannot
    >
    >
obtain
    >
i
    >
after
    >
my
    >
    >
    >
can
    >
it!
    >
    >
    >
    >

I would also suggest www.esurance.com to you, they are a nationwide insurance company
that bill via the internet..i have had them for several months and am very happy with
my policy. The premiums are very inexpensive, they even told me to just give them a
call as soon as my husband receives his license and they would have no problem adding
him to our policy. PA driving laws require you to take both the written and road exam
if you are moving from a different country, however you can drive on an international
license for up to one year. Have a look at this company on the web, they may be able
to help you.

Good Luck Amanda C

Old Oct 21st 2001, 6:14 pm
Concierge

Amanda

Guess he can drive with the international license but state laws require that if you are "resident" of the state you have to get your license within usually 30 days. Since he is migrating here and as soon as he is married, he is a resident of the state and needs to change his license.

Check into that.

Rita
Old Oct 21st 2001, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian,

I just read your message and got a real huge shock.

You said that a a document was pulled out stating that people with k1 visas cannot get a driving license or even take the driving test. This sounds completely new to me as everyone else here has got a DL with K-1's. I just checked out the Texas site:

(http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/IdRequirements.htm)

and it is quite clear that there is no restriction on K-1's. In fact one of the major kinds of identification is "Valid passport issued by a foreign country with a valid U.S. visa." which as a K-1'er you would have. So for Texas at least, it seems different to what YOU found!

You also said "so when i apply for aos, i assume i have to wait for another document to authorise me to obtain a license". I don't think anyone would know what this might be! They don't do a "permit to get a drivers permit" which is what you would be talking about...

Think you need to seriously get the document that you say was pulled out! Get a copy even and post the text here!!!

Brian.

Old Oct 21st 2001, 7:35 pm
Concierge

Brian

You have to realize that driver's license requirements are issued by each individual state and are not federally regulated. Therefore, what can be law in LA may not be law in TX as apparently this poster has shown. Some states will issue Canadians a license without anything but an eye chart test and will take their Canadian licenses from them. Other states mandate that a Canadian has to take both the written and driving test and still others will only make them take the written. Some will take the license and others won't.

In many ways it is the same in Canada. Some provinces will take the US license and not return it and others will allow you to keep it. This was a long ongoing post on the other immigration ng for Canada migration but a Middle Eastern poster was incessed that he had to give up his US license when he landed in Canada with his documents and applied for a Canadian driver's license. His bitch was that he would be unable to travel back and forth between the countries easily as his nationality is required a visa to visit the US. So he wanted to find a province that will allow him to keep his US issued driver's license.
Rita
Old Oct 21st 2001, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian,

Check out your DPS web site.

http://www.dps.state.la.us/OMV1.nsf/...2?OpenDocument

Print out this page and see if you can satisfy the ID requirements.

You'll probably need your non-US birth certificate, passport and I-94 (I see the I-551 is considered as secondary ID). I also see that they say: Form I-94 is coded "F1", "J1", or "D/S" for students or "B2" for tourists. This form should not be more than a couple of years old unless coded "D/S". What code is on yours?

Uh oh... is THAT the problem?

Brian.
Old Oct 21st 2001, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

>You have to realize that driver's license requirements are
>issued by each individual state and are not federally
>regulated.

I knew that already!!!!

I used the Texas site to illustrate that they (Texas) don't have these restrictions. Sorry if I didn't say that in huge letters, as it seems to have caused you some confusion. If YOU were confused, then so could others, and I don't want that.

Whatever, I posted that that first message and then went to the Louisiana (Ian's home state) DPS web site (see latter posting).

Rather than insurance, I am more concerned about the potential for a fellow K-1 process "victim" being denied something that the rest of us will get, and in some cases just by paying the fee and taking an eye test.

>Some states will issue Canadians a license without
>anything but an eye chart test

That is also the case in TX.

Brian.
Old Oct 21st 2001, 8:18 pm
Concierge

Nope, wasn't confused. You talked about the driving license requirements for Texas and you went on to say: "So for Texas at least, it seems different to what YOU found! "
And further expressed your shock at his having been at the receiving end of such a requirement as Louisiana seems to have instituted in their regulations as it is not a requirement in the State of Texas. I believe that TX regulations on driver's licenses, car registration, etc. are very lient. Q was able to drive her car from Canada to Texas, get a license without anything in her passport, not even an I-94, and register her Canadian car as well without any type of custom's paperwork. Definitely not our first hand experience here in the Big Apple. ;-(

Oh well ... it behooves everyone moving to the US to learn the requirements in the States in which they are going to establishing residency. The variances can be minor to major in more than just driving regulations. There are variances in obtaining a marriage license, high education enrollment, student loans, residency definitions of various institutions, etc.

Rita
Hope that Ian can find a way around this problem. Perhaps he could just as simply go to another DMV office and apply there. They might have read that particular document. Or that his EAD is proof enough to get his license.

Old Oct 21st 2001, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

>Nope, wasn't confused.

Good.

>You talked about the driving license requirements for
>Texas and you went on to say: "So for Texas at least, it
>seems different to what YOU found! "

Indeed it was. Other states may well be different again!

>And further expressed your shock at his having been at
>the receiving end of such a requirement as Louisiana
>seems to have instituted in their regulations as it is
>not a requirement in the State of Texas.

Are you refering to the first line of my message? If so that was a general statement of shock. I had never heard of a K-1 holder being refused a DL just because of he/she is on a K-1, which is what I understood Ian's posting to mean.

>I believe that TX regulations on driver's licenses, car
>registration, etc. are very lient. Q was able to drive
>her car from Canada to Texas, get a license without
>anything in her passport, not even an I-94, and register
>her Canadian car as well without any type of custom's
>paperwork.

You may be right about Canadians going to TX. I have no knowledge of Canada. Shame we are not all going to Canada, as you and your "better half" (oops - is that a term of endearement you use in NY?) may well have the chance to write a HUGE novel on the subject Have you two actually thought about it? You obviously know all about Canada to US immigration and it could be interesting to make use of that wealth of knowledge.

>Definitely not our first hand experience here in the
>Big Apple. ;-(

Oh yes. So I've read from your many postings

>Oh well ... it behooves everyone moving to the US to
>learn the requirements in the States in which they are
>going to establishing residency. The variances can be
>minor to major in more than just driving regulations.
>There are variances in obtaining a marriage license,
>high education enrollment, student loans, residency
>definitions of various institutions, etc.

It's surprising how many common questions can indeed be answerd by simply looking at the web site of the relevent authority. I think that with Ian's problem, he may well be the victim of a one-off... unless someone else in his state knows better than you/me/us????

>Hope that Ian can find a way around this problem.
>Perhaps he could just as simply go to another DMV
>office and apply there. They might have read that
>particular document. Or that his EAD is proof enough
>to get his license.

Indeed.

Good luck Ian.

Brian.
Old Oct 22nd 2001, 2:14 am
Doug Melville

Anyone have any experience of obtaining an Arizona License? I have checked the Az DMV
web site, and nothing there about new immigrants. I have also emailed them, (a week
and counting).

Entering on a K1 from Australia, so i am anxious to get driving as soon as possible,
although the sooner you guys get with the program and drive on the correct side of
the road, the easier it will be.

Doug

(Holder of UK, Australian and International License... )

favorite quote

Doug: so whats the speed limit in Manila.... ? Hose: there isnt one. Doug: whats the
alcohol limit??? Hose: there isnt one..

Upshot... changing flat tire after hitting a 6 foot pothole at 120 Km/h at 3am in one
of the less salubrious suburbs of manila... dogs barking ... passengers puking, and
cursing a blue streak.

Old Oct 22nd 2001, 10:04 am
Di Martin

LOL Doug I agree 100% I too have an international license and once I got started when
I visited over there I was fine only thing was my first day back in Australia I drove
a whole block on the wrong side of the road!!

Di (Australia) Randy (KY)

>
checked
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
the
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.