British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving License (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-license-41264/)

David Turner Aug 8th 2001 7:54 pm

I am from England, on the VWPP, and getting married to a US Citizen, applying for AOS
Using I-130/I485 method, and been in the US about 2 months.

What do I do about my drivers license, my UK license is valid for use in the US, I
have no address in England, my UK drivers license should have a correct address or I
can be fined, however they do not alow a none English address to be use.

What do I have to do to obtain a Tennessee Drivers license?

What do I do about my English drivers license? leave it as it is? or change it to say
for example my parents address?

What happens for example I get stopped by the police if I do not have my drivers
license in the US, as I have to send it back to the DVLA in England to get the
address changed. Do the U.S.A. Police simply call the UK to get confirmation that I
have a license?

Thanks once agian for all your help.

Mark Fugatt Aug 8th 2001 8:59 pm

Contact your local DMV in Tennessee, most states require you to surrender your UK
drivers license, most states require you to have a valid social security number or a
letter from DSS explaining why you do not qualify for a SSN.

You might also be required to site a Drivers Ed program, take a written test etc etc.

Not the shortest process in the world.

Mark

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

November Soul Aug 9th 2001 9:02 pm

I've just done this (but on H1-B) in California.

Here's how it goes in California:

We found out that our UK driving licenses are only valid for 90 days, so taking your
local test is essential. My wife (on a H-4) can't get a SSN, so we got the Social
Security place to produce a letter for her (they are pre-printed, and just need a
signature), you MUST provide evidence of legal status in the country, before they
will give you this letter. Call your local DMV and schedule a driving test, you will
need to complete a written test (so it is a good idea to get hold of the driver's
manual and do some swatting up), and after completing that you will need to schedule
a skills test (actual drive test). Once these are done, you will get a temporary
paper license and have to wait 6-10 weeks for your official one. (The paper license
can be extended if required).

That's it!

Note that a friend of mine was using his UK license in Redmond, Washington for over 4
months, but got caught and fined $600 - ouch!

Hope this helps.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

David Turner Aug 10th 2001 8:04 pm

I have a International Driving Permit that sates that it is Valid for one year
from the 26th June 2001, Can I use this even after the 90 days? and upto the 25th
June 2002????

Mark Fugatt Aug 10th 2001 8:08 pm

No, as far as the police, state troopers and sheriffs department are concern this
just serves as a translation of your driving licence in the UK, you do not really
need an Internation Permit in the US as your license is in English.

Mark

>
    >
    >

November Soul Aug 11th 2001 12:01 am

I'm not sure about Tennessee, but California doesn't recognize the IDP.

Quote from their site:

International Driving Permits

The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit
(IDP) as a valid driver license.

End quote.

>
    >
    >

David Turner Aug 11th 2001 5:01 am

I've been in touch with the DMV for TN, and they say that with my International
Drivers Permit I am able to drive for 6 months from the Sate of enter to the country.
But remember to make sre you have your passport and I-94W with you at all times.

David Turner Aug 17th 2001 6:22 pm

I have found out some further information, with regards to drivers license's in
Tennessee, If you want to apply for a drivers license in TN, you do not need a SSN,
Please read this link http://www.state.tn.us/safety/dl/ssn.htm all that you do need
is 2 forms of ID, and possibly need to do your Written and theory Test.