Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Licences

Driving Licences

Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

snodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nicesnodog is just really nice
Default Driving Licences

I've done the "search" thing and not seen a similar situation, so I'm going to ask.......

We're on our way to being LPRs this year, and have a home in NH.

I understand that we will need to get a NH driving licence. However as we are retaining our home here in the UK (and leaving a car which we'll need to insure etc), we don't want to give up our UK licences. Most of the DMVs seem to insist you surrender an out of country licence.

How many of you have both a UK and US licence?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences

Originally Posted by snodog
I've done the "search" thing and not seen a similar situation, so I'm going to ask.......

I understand that we will need to get a NH driving licence. However as we are retaining our home here in the UK (and leaving a car which we'll need to insure etc), we don't want to give up our UK licences. Most of the DMVs seem to insist you surrender an out of country licence.

I have both licenses. Insurance could be a problem if you're not a UK resident. I found it very difficult to get car insurance and home insurance. OK you can get around this by not telling the insurance company...but it could be a problem if you make a claim.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My Brit husband still has his UK license. Depending on what paperwork NH requires for licensing, you may not even need to show your UK license. For example, here in KY, my husband had to take the written exam and the road test, even though he had been driving for about 10 years before coming here. So we didn't even bother showing his UK license because it wouldn't have mattered. You may find the same thing in NH, in which case you don't even tell them, or show them, your UK license.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just tell them that you dont have a UK license.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:20 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I got my first US driving license in New York and despite what all the State DMV info said, they never asked for my UK license. Having read in advance that they would ask for it and destroy it I applied to the DVLA for a replacement license, telling them I lost the old one. So now I have two UK licenses. When I moved to NJ, however, the DMV here did ask for my NY license.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:33 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

As far as I'm aware you do not need to surrender it.

They may insist but they don't need it, they only need it if the licence is an out of state licence.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
Just tell them that you dont have a UK license.
Why? We only had to take a written test because we had UK licenses. If they want to take your UK license tell them it's the property of the Crown and they have no right. I usually say 'crown' instead of 'government' because it tends to confuse folk.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 4th 2009 at 4:37 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You won't have to surrender it, it's for out of state licenses. It's also not your license to hand over.

There is one state that will switch a UK license, but they'll send your UK license to the DVLA...can't remember the state, ain't NH though.

Way those folks drive...well I'd be scared

Plus side, car insurance isn't a requirement in NH...though I'd recommend getting good cover because of that for the uninsured drivers out there.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
My Brit husband still has his UK license. Depending on what paperwork NH requires for licensing, you may not even need to show your UK license. For example, here in KY, my husband had to take the written exam and the road test, even though he had been driving for about 10 years before coming here. So we didn't even bother showing his UK license because it wouldn't have mattered. You may find the same thing in NH, in which case you don't even tell them, or show them, your UK license.
In that case, you'd have to have someone else take you to the test centre to take the test rather than drive yourself.

It is daft though....because drive there on your UK license, if you fail, apart from being rediculed by everybody, you'll just drive back home on your UK license again
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
In that case, you'd have to have someone else take you to the test centre to take the test rather than drive yourself.

It is daft though....because drive there on your UK license, if you fail, apart from being rediculed by everybody, you'll just drive back home on your UK license again
Yep. Ya know, now that I think about it,t my OH drove himself to take both tests. They never said anything about it.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Yep. Ya know, now that I think about it,t my OH drove himself to take both tests. They never said anything about it.
same here up in Maine lol
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

In NJ a car with a hand brake at the side of the driver's seat must be used. So my daughter had to use the driving instructor's car for the test.

What an odd requirement...we've never owned a car like this in the US...and she wasn't asked to use the flippin' handbrake during her test.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In NJ a car with a hand brake at the side of the driver's seat must be used. So my daughter had to use the driving instructor's car for the test.

What an odd requirement...we've never owned a car like this in the US...and she wasn't asked to use the flippin' handbrake during her test.
Only time I had to use the hand/emergency brake was to show I knew to use it on a hill. Is that what you mean?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Only time I had to use the hand/emergency brake was to show I knew to use it on a hill. Is that what you mean?
Yes but I've found most 'hand brakes' here are activated by your left foot. This requirement is to have the handbrake at the side of the driver's seat...like on most British cars.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:15 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes but I've found most 'hand brakes' here are activated by your left foot. This requirement is to have the handbrake at the side of the driver's seat...like on most British cars.
Presumably so the examiner can use it if absolutely necessary in an emergency.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.