Reload this Page >

Driving licence on VWP

Driving licence on VWP

Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving licence on VWP

Originally Posted by EGJen
Hmmm... I don't think he's going to go for the marriage option just for a visa... worth a try though!

I'll just wait and see what happens with the Uni then, and take it as it comes.

The 1 year I can have on a UK licence... is that ever 're-set' if I'm out the country long enough?
It's a State thing, not Country.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The 1 year I can have on a UK licence... is that ever 're-set' if I'm out the country long enough?
It's far from clear. But what is without debate is that life is much easier with a US driving license. Without it, you are a non person.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

EGJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I'll certainly try to get one if I think I'm ever eligible, but things might not work out that way... so I guess I might just have to live with being a non-person for a while! Ho-hum...
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 8:55 am
Just Joined

I have a related, but new problem: For some reason, my other half is struggling to work out how to get me car insurance while I don't have that Texas licence... I don't know why it's difficult, but he has only been there for 3 weeks and is finding lots of things difficult.

Can anyone suggest a company that will insure me on a UK licence? I know it'll be expensive, but any of you know one that's not toooo extortionate? Thanks.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

I have a related, but new problem: For some reason, my other half is struggling to work out how to get me car insurance while I don't have that Texas licence... I don't know why it's difficult, but he has only been there for 3 weeks and is finding lots of things difficult.

Can anyone suggest a company that will insure me on a UK licence? I know it'll be expensive, but any of you know one that's not toooo extortionate? Thanks.
All the big names, who does he have his Insurance with?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I dont have a SSN or US licence but I bought a car two years ago in Charlotte thinking that my visa was going to go through then... Duhhh... anyway I transferred ownership to my partner and he taxes, licences and insures it (whilst it happily gathers dust in the garage). He is on a H1b and I drive on his insurance. I believe we use StateFarm and it is not expensive. You dont have to have your own insurance - drive on his.. you have to be over 25.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
...You dont have to have your own insurance - drive on his.. you have to be over 25.
depends on the state...
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. So no chance of a licence for the first 3 months, but it should be OK if/when I get the F1 visa. And not much chance if I'm on the B2 either... got it!
If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will correct me. But I did not think one could get an F1 while still in the US? Every story I've read relates how the F1 requires an interview at the embassy. The OP can enter the US on the VWP, but won't she have to return home to attend the visa interview, medical, etc? The way the OP worded some statements, she is thinking to go straight from VWP to student status, and I did not think that was possible.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Mar 2nd 2009 at 9:24 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi... my other half is with Geico. I read on one of the other threads on here that some people had been screwed by them saying it was absolutely fine, but then changing their minds for some reason when it came down to going ahead with a policy... anyone had any experience with adding someone with a non-Texas licence to a Geico policy? I am over 25, and can provide 12 months of proof of continuous insurance in the UK (one of the companies I looked at said I would need that... not sure why!)

I am coming back to the UK to try to get the visa, fear not! I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get an F1 out there, but I already have an interview at the embassy booked for June, when I come back just before the VWP expires for me.

Thank you all for helping with this - both my partner and I had been tearing our hair out trying to find definitive answers to these things! I'm already suspecting life is not going to be nice and easy out there...
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

F1 is a non immigrant visa, so be prepared to show your UK ties.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

I have a house here in the UK, which I'll be renting out, which I believe will be sufficient?? I think I need to do that for the VWP anyway - bring proof with me on the plane to show at the airport...? Ties and money, I think.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi... my other half is with Geico. I read on one of the other threads on here that some people had been screwed by them saying it was absolutely fine, but then changing their minds for some reason when it came down to going ahead with a policy... anyone had any experience with adding someone with a non-Texas licence to a Geico policy? I am over 25, and can provide 12 months of proof of continuous insurance in the UK (one of the companies I looked at said I would need that... not sure why!)
The easiest thing to do would be to have your other half call Geico, describe the scenario, and see what they recommend.

Rene
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

I'm insured with Progressive (on a FL license) and when I rang them up about insuring people with a UK license, they told me that as long as they wouldn't be driving the car on more than 12 separate occasions in a year, and were not residents here, they didn't need to be informed of it. This was in regards to my parents coming over and visiting and being able to drive my car while they were here.

I couldn't quite believe it, but they told me this on 2 separate phone calls...
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

What did they mean 12 separate occasions? Like 12 journeys? 12 days? Throughout 12 holidays?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

What did they mean 12 separate occasions? Like 12 journeys? 12 days? Throughout 12 holidays?
I took it as 12 separate days...when I half-jokingly asked what would happen on the 13th occasion, she said that there's no way of them checking (obviously) and that as long as it was apparent that it wasn't being used everyday/for commuting etc then there wouldn't be a problem... It still seems a little strange to me!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.