Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving licence by state wiki

Driving licence by state wiki

Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:30 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving licence by state wiki

as we seem to have had a glut of driving licence questions recently - I have tried to gather together a list of all the different state pages for the wiki.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Driving_licence

Feel free to edit/correct/add if you feel i left something important out or made a mistake.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence by state wiki

.....and all this while unpacking and looking after a young child (and she's pregnant ) well done Elaine! Thanks.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:09 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

us pregnant women get very obsessional you know - get an idea in my head and im stuck with it lol!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping you were sitting with your feet elevated while you were working on the wiki
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:44 pm
Flaky Red-headed Goodness

SallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud of

Thank you! I popped on here today to look for/ask for information about driving in the US and found this thread straight away. I'm still not exactly sure how the land lies with regard to me driving a privately owned (it's my partner's car) car as opposed to a hire car but I'll figure it out! Hopefully I won't have to drive too much for the first month or so anyway...
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon
Thank you! I popped on here today to look for/ask for information about driving in the US and found this thread straight away. I'm still not exactly sure how the land lies with regard to me driving a privately owned (it's my partner's car) car as opposed to a hire car but I'll figure it out! Hopefully I won't have to drive too much for the first month or so anyway...
In our experience you are able to drive someone else's car as long as they have given you permission and you will be covered by their insurance. My parents always drive ours and when they went on a long road trip last year the Insurance company provided them with a letter to take with them (they frett over things like this) to say they were covered by our insurance
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:45 pm
Flaky Red-headed Goodness

SallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud ofSallyCinnamon has much to be proud of

Thank you

I've just had a look at the regulations for KY and I'll be okay for a year as long as I have an IDP - which, co-incidentally, I'm just this second filling in the application form for. We've already contacted my partner's insurance company and apparently I'm now named on the policy so I guess it's all systems go. Blimey. I did a little driving over there in the summer, which was surprisingly easier than I expected - although those 'stop' signs fool me still I'm used to seeing big white lines on the road! Going to have to bite the proverbial bullet sooner rather than later though, since I'll be having to get myself to and from campus from the middle of January. It's going to be fun. Hair-raising, but fun

Thanks for your reply
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:13 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

not sure if its changed any - but we applied for idl's last year before we came out and they took an absolute age to arrive - maybe 6 weeks or more? Apply as soon as you can to be safe (although i think they only last 1 year).
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

I'm not sure what the scope of the wiki is, so I'll post the info here for Delaware, including items that aren't mentioned on the web site but are relevant to ex-pats.

DELAWARE

Drivers Manual - http://www.dmv.de.gov/forms/driver_s...l_10232008.pdf

How long are you able to drive on your foreign licence? (typically 30/60/90 days) - Licence required 60 days after becoming a bona fide Delaware resident

What proof of identity do you need to take? (passport, foreign licence) - See list on page 17 of Drivers Manual. I used:
Primary Document - UK Passport with Visa and I-94
Secondary Document - Health Insurance Card
Social Security No. - If eligible must take SSN card. If not eligible, visit SSA Office prior to visit and obtain a Letter of Ineligibility

What proof or residence do you need to take? (utility bill, rental agreement) - See list on page 17 0f Drivers Manual. I used Bank Statement, Auto Insurance Policy, Rental Agreement.

What proof of immigration status do you need to take? (visa and/or related docs) - See page 16 of Drivers Manual. I used my UK passport with Visa and I-94

Can you do the test in a rental car? (need to show rental agreement?) - I asked and they said you could, but I didn't test this. I had to show vehicle registration and insurance documents.

Does your visa type require anything specific? (ie L visas may be required to show a confirmation letter from employer in some states) - wasn't asked for but suggest taking this with you.

Will you have to do the test again? (theory and/or practical) - Yes both theory and practical required as well as vision test. There are reciprocal agreements with France and Germany - no theory or practical test required.

Can you turn up or are appointments required? - No appointment required.

Theory Test

Multiple choice computer test. Practice at http://www.dmv.de.gov/sampledlexam/s...mpleDLExamHome

Details of Practical Test

On Premises (special area)

a) Drive to cone and stop. Reverse to starting point.
b) Drive into parking spot. Reverse to starting point.
c) Drive around a cone and return to starting point.
d) Parallel parking.

On Road

Ten minutes of driving, mainly in a residential area. Left turns, right turns, crossing a road and return to test centre.

Additional Notes:

a) If you hold a full UK licence, requirement to wait 30 days between theory and practical is waived. If an appointment is available you can take the practical immediately after passing the theory test. I completed the whole process in about 2 hours on a non-busy day. On busy days, you probably will have to return on another day.

b) If you hold a full UK licence, requirement to be accompanied by a licenced driver aged at least 21 to the test is waived.

c) Following a successful practical test, the licence is produced immediately.

d) If you are ineligible for a SSN, the letter is good for the test only. If, for example, you need to change the address on the licence at a later date, you will need to obtain a new Letter of Ineligibility from the SSA Office.

e) Drivers from other countries may retain their foreign licenses (Drivers Manual page 20).

I used the New Castle Office. A bit old and dingy but very friendly staff. The Wilmington Office is very modern but quite impersonal. Be prepared to queue for 45 minutes at busy times. Avoid end of month.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon
Thank you

I've just had a look at the regulations for KY and I'll be okay for a year as long as I have an IDP - which, co-incidentally, I'm just this second filling in the application form for. We've already contacted my partner's insurance company and apparently I'm now named on the policy so I guess it's all systems go. Blimey. I did a little driving over there in the summer, which was surprisingly easier than I expected - although those 'stop' signs fool me still I'm used to seeing big white lines on the road! Going to have to bite the proverbial bullet sooner rather than later though, since I'll be having to get myself to and from campus from the middle of January. It's going to be fun. Hair-raising, but fun

Thanks for your reply
We added my husband onto my insurance policy after we married without much of an issue. Word to the wise, though, bring your 'no accident or claims' certificate (or whatever it's called in Britain). We actually used that to help keep the insurance premium down when we added my OH to the policy. Some ins. companies may not use it, but others may.

Hopefully we won't get any of our nasty snowstorms or ice-storms! About a month after my OH got his license, we had a Dec. ice storm & he had to drive on ice for about 70miles, and it was not a fun experience for him.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Nov 25th 2008 at 2:51 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
In our experience you are able to drive someone else's car as long as they have given you permission and you will be covered by their insurance. My parents always drive ours and when they went on a long road trip last year the Insurance company provided them with a letter to take with them (they frett over things like this) to say they were covered by our insurance
depends on the state...in mass, it's a bit like the UK in that you've got to pay extra if you want "others" drivers to be able to drive your car.

anyway, really nice work on the wiki MsE...I just farted around on the links a little and made the state a link itself rather than have the link beside it
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:20 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

Originally Posted by Bob
depends on the state...in mass, it's a bit like the UK in that you've got to pay extra if you want "others" drivers to be able to drive your car.

anyway, really nice work on the wiki MsE...I just farted around on the links a little and made the state a link itself rather than have the link beside it
Thanks Bob - that looks a lot smoother! (im a bit of a wiki noob!)
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
Thanks Bob - that looks a lot smoother! (im a bit of a wiki noob!)
not to bad going wasn't it only gets easier, shame more people don't give it a go
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Not sure that's true so long as the other drivers aren't members of the household - I checked this when I took the Mass test in a friend's car...
I think the default position is that you have to declare every licensed driver in your household. If their driving record would raise the premium, you can exclude them by signing something to say that they won't be driving the car.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rew1000
Not sure that's true so long as the other drivers aren't members of the household - I checked this when I took the Mass test in a friend's car...
I think the default position is that you have to declare every licensed driver in your household. If their driving record would raise the premium, you can exclude them by signing something to say that they won't be driving the car.
you might be right, I think it's immediate family in the household, because BIL can't drive our car on our insurance and reason why the missus hasn't gotten around to getting her license, would cost a fortune adding her on as a learner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.