Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving licence queerie

driving licence queerie

Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all
Default driving licence queerie

hi,my family and i are planning on returning to the uk this year,
my wife will be sitting her driving test here in july,she does not have a uk licence,will she be able to transfer her ozzie licence{presuming she passes}to a uk one or is it not that simple as she will have been only driving a few months.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:06 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving licence queerie

Hi

My aussie hubby has his Ozzie licence and his UK one, so do I. I think its just a new application, but don't quote me on that.!!
P

PS. Might be easier to search the DVLA website http://www.dvla.gov.uk/

Last edited by Pants; Apr 30th 2007 at 11:09 am.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 12:04 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitz
hi,my family and i are planning on returning to the uk this year,
my wife will be sitting her driving test here in july,she does not have a uk licence,will she be able to transfer her ozzie licence{presuming she passes}to a uk one or is it not that simple as she will have been only driving a few months.
I would be interested to find out this too as my eldest is returning to the uk and has a Probationary West Australian licence ,and would like to exchange it for a Full british licence .
Old May 9th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

Here you go guys...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022561
Old May 10th 2007, 7:13 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

When we left the uk I only had my provisional licence, I went on to pass my driving test in Dubai.
I was permitted to hire a car in the uk on a valid 12 month permit and when we returned to the uk for good I had a small window til the permit ran out..... I had to retake the whole thing from the theory / hazard perception and the practical... stress or what!!! It was worth it though.
Old May 10th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Andthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant futureAndthen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
When we left the uk I only had my provisional licence, I went on to pass my driving test in Dubai.
I was permitted to hire a car in the uk on a valid 12 month permit and when we returned to the uk for good I had a small window til the permit ran out..... I had to retake the whole thing from the theory / hazard perception and the practical... stress or what!!! It was worth it though.
To be honest, I haven't really read up on it as I've had my license in Britain for 5 years, as far as I'm aware you should be able to get it converted but it depends if the UK opperates any kind of excange scheme which the DVLA will be able to tell you if you email them.

On the plus side, we don't have a graded system like the US/Canada, which means if they will exchange it, you should be able to get a full license, most likely with the probationary status which means you can't get more than 6 points in your first two years (or bye bye license)....