Wikiposts

Driving Licence (License)

Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Rich_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Driving Licence (License)

Hey, just need some info about Driving in CA,
im 17 and have my uk full driving license,
will i need to apply for a permit and do the whole 50 hour lessons as a learner again or can i do the little test and get my full us license

im confuseddd!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:44 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence (License)

Originally Posted by Rich_uk
will i need to apply for a permit and do the whole 50 hour lessons as a learner again or can i do the little test and get my full us license

im confuseddd!
Most States you start afresh ..
Old Nov 21st 2008, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

im confuseddd!
First lesson on the US: Every state has different driving laws. Use Google to find the Dept of Motor Vehicles for California. Most states, though, don't care how much you've driven outside the US - you more than likley will have to sit the theoretical exam and take the road test. But don't worry, from what I've heard from other Brits on here, our DL exams are a piece of cake compared to what you go through in the UK.

For what it's worth, my husband, who had 10 yrs experience in other countries, had to take the written exam to get his permit, and then had to wait 30 days before he could take the road test.

You need to look into whether or not you can even drive by yourself, on your learner permit in CA. In Kentucky, a person holding a learner permit can only drive if a licensed driver over the age of 18 is in the car with them.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:06 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
First lesson on the US: Every state has different driving laws. Use Google to find the Dept of Motor Vehicles for California. Most states, though, don't care how much you've driven outside the US - you more than likley will have to sit the theoretical exam and take the road test. But don't worry, from what I've heard from other Brits on here, our DL exams are a piece of cake compared to what you go through in the UK.

For what it's worth, my husband, who had 10 yrs experience in other countries, had to take the written exam to get his permit, and then had to wait 30 days before he could take the road test.

You need to look into whether or not you can even drive by yourself, on your learner permit in CA. In Kentucky, a person holding a learner permit can only drive if a licensed driver over the age of 18 is in the car with them.

But you can drive on your UK license until you get it maybe........???
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

only difference here, the OP is under 18 and many states will require drivers ed in this instance, which could be an issue...well a pain in the arse as it'll be a few hours sitting in a class room
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
But you can drive on your UK license until you get it maybe........???
Yeah, sorry..I misread, and thought that he only had a UK learner's permit which is why I mentioned the licensed driver requirement.

Originally Posted by Bob
only difference here, the OP is under 18 and many states will require drivers ed in this instance, which could be an issue...well a pain in the arse as it'll be a few hours sitting in a class room
Oh yeah, I almost forgot that. Rich, you're only an adult in the eyes of the law when you're 18. You could have additional stipulations to get a license due to your age. I know in KY, you have to maintain a certain level of grades in high school in order to keep your license, if you are still in school. If you are no longer in school, you do have a diff set of rules I think.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Nov 21st 2008 at 11:11 am.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:08 am
Just Joined

what even though im 17?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

what even though im 17?
You are not an adult at 17. Also, don't forget the legal drinking age is 21, just in case you weren't aware of that, and you cannot buy cigarettes until you are 18 (I believe the cigarette age is a federal law, but could be wrong).

Also, I wanted to add, that often there is a min. amount of time that you have to hold a learner's permit before you are allowed to take the road test. Now typically (but probably differs by state) this would mean that a permit holder can only drive with a licensed driver (possibly over a certain age). Feasibly, you could possibly get around this though by 'driving' on your UK license. Meaning, if you got pulled over for some reason, you could show your UK license instead of your CA learner's permit. However, if you did end up having to show the officer your CA permit, you could face some consequences if no one else was in the car with you. For that reason, when my 28 yr old husband (with over 10 yrs of driving experience) had his permit, he only drove with me in the car, just in case.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Nov 21st 2008 at 11:27 am.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:31 am
Just Joined

thanks for that sunflower
not a smoker and its 18 in the uk anyway so it dosent bother me
alcohol is but life goes on..
reading on Ca's DMV it states that i need to hold a provisional permit for 6 months and have 50 hours of training so il apply for this and drive on my uk licence (if insurance accepts it) and then hopefully do the classes and get a CA Driving license
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that. Rich, you're only an adult in the eyes of the law when you're 18. You could have additional stipulations to get a license due to your age. I know in KY, you have to maintain a certain level of grades in high school in order to keep your license, if you are still in school. If you are no longer in school, you do have a diff set of rules I think.
In mass, and this just came in, your folks have to do 5-10 hours can't remember, drivers ed if the kid wants to take the test before 18, it's voluntary, but if the parents don't do it, the kid will have to do the full drivers ed before being able to get permit to take the test....it's very weird
Old Nov 21st 2008, 11:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

...il apply for this and drive on my uk licence (if insurance accepts it) and then hopefully do the classes and get a CA Driving license
check the requirements of how long your allowed to drive on a UK license in the state, other wise if you go over, insurance would be void in the event of an accident and you'd be, well get the vaseline out would be the advice.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:34 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

What my teens had to do before age 18 to get a license in CA, as I remember it is, Do drivers Ed at high school, then take the pass slip to the DMV take the written test, pass that, take a lesson with a driving school. The driving instructor signs a slip that DMV sent with the kid, then go back to DMV where they issue you your Permit (provisional license) take more lessons with the driving instructor and drive with Mom and Dad in between, then go back and do the driving test. My oldest got his license at 16.5years. My 14 year old is doing drivers ed this term, but will have to hold onto the pink slip till he's old enough to go to DMV and start this whole rigamarole.
To avoid doing all that they would have to be 18 to apply for the drivers permit.