Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence - K1 to AOS in Pennsylvania

Driving Licence - K1 to AOS in Pennsylvania

Old Mar 7th 2016, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence - K1 to AOS in Pennsylvania

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
Yeah, that was my thoughts too. i had mine done at a local health centre and they did it as an "emergency" appointment on the day. Again, nothing to worry about. The doctor asked me a few questions about my health history. Checked my height, weight and blood pressure. Looked in my ears and mouth. That was it. It cost $65
We did it for about $35 at MedExpress in State College. We had to do a knee bend too !
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

When I came over on an L1A, I was able to apply for a CA driver's license with an SSN, my UK passport (to show my visa) and my UK drivers license. I didn't have to take any medical exams but I did have to take the quick eye exam, paper/electronic theory test and behind-the-wheel test.

OP, the US behind-the-wheel driving test will be an absolute doddle compared to the UK test. When I was preparing for the theory test, I downloaded a free theory test app on my smartphone and went through all the questions several times. I didn't get any lessons for the behind-the-wheel test as I already had about six months of US driving experience.

Last edited by cautiousjon; Mar 7th 2016 at 3:11 am.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Clrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the rough

I also live in PA, in the mainline. I went into the driving license centre in centre city and they weren't sure if the timelines involved! Everybody else including lots of ex pats told me a year. I got my doctor to sign my drivers license when I went in for an appointment, she did it for free. I then got a copy of the driving test book free from the last license centre and studied it and booked my theory test which I passed. I then booked my test online, to get a test you literally have to go onto the site the minute the dates are released. I'd try to get a test soon, as come the summer high school students will also be scrabbling for the test dates! When you go for your theory test and drivers test make sure you take your check book as they don't take cash or credit / debit cards. Despite having driven for 20 years I failed first time on my parallel park! Good luck!
Old Mar 10th 2016, 11:55 am
US Citizen / UK Citizen

ScottUK1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice everyone. That's cleared things up much more for me. Will begin the process of getting a license asap!
Old Mar 13th 2016, 11:34 am
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

I took my "driving skills test" yesterday at Malvern/Fraser DMV. All in all, took literally 10 minutes in the car. A parallel park in a huge space marked by water butts, then a very short drive on the road. Again, an embarrassingly easy experience for anyone who has taken the UK driving test.

So I'm now in possession of my Pennsylvania driving license and can pick up my new car tomorrow.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:25 pm
The Hamburgler Incarnate!

Karlosthecackle is an unknown quantity at this point

hmvsdog is 100% correct. Moved to Montgomery county in March last year. First thing we did was get SSN, Medical and then learners permit. I already had my truck on order through International Autosource so needed at least my learners permit to be able to pick it up from the dealership.

Bike license is next (been riding on my UK licence, probably illegally!) :S

EDIT TO SAY : The driving test is a joke... Think "driving test at Legoland Windsor" but easier and that's what the driving test is like.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 4:52 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlosthecackle
I already had my truck on order through International Autosource so needed at least my learners permit to be able to pick it up from the dealership.
I'd be interested to know if anyone using IAS has picked up a vehicle on a learner permit. They were adamant with me that I needed a full license. Didn't go down well, when I had to wait 6 weeks for my "skills test"...
Old Mar 17th 2016, 9:50 pm
The Hamburgler Incarnate!

Karlosthecackle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
I'd be interested to know if anyone using IAS has picked up a vehicle on a learner permit. They were adamant with me that I needed a full license. Didn't go down well, when I had to wait 6 weeks for my "skills test"...
I had my learners permit and a temporary state ID card. That's all the dealer told me i needed, not IAS.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

The PennDOT wording is ambiguous - makes it sound like you're good for a year with foreign license, and states that you need to get PA license within 60 days of establishing residency IF you have a license from another US state or Canada.

"for up to one year from their date of entry into the United States, or upon expiration of their foreign license, whichever comes first. International driving permits are strongly recommended, but not required. Reciprocity agreements exist with the countries of France and Germany allowing for the transfer of a valid non-commercial driver’s license without Road or Knowledge testing; however, a Vision Test will be administered. (Transfer of a driver’s license from Puerto Rico, France, or Germany cannot be completed the same day.)
• People who just moved into Pennsylvania and are establishing Pennsylvania residency - if you hold a valid driver’s license from another state or Canada, you must get a Pennsylvania driver’s license within 60 days after moving to Pennsylvania and surrender your out-of-state driver’s license"

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV.../chapter_1.pdf

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...Q/FAQ-MISC.pdf

This form lists all the visa types and what you are eligible for, and what you need to get it.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...ub%20195nc.pdf
Old Mar 24th 2016, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

You pay for your driving license when you get your permit so it's $34.50, you can bring in a money order if you don't use paper checks.

I recommend taking 3 manuals and use the extra 2 for the practice exams. Double check you have the English version before leaving.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...s/fs-dlfee.pdf

FYI Philadelphia Parking Authority is very aggressive, so don't try to beat the meter ever!