Reload this Page >

Driving Licence - K1 to AOS in Pennsylvania

Driving Licence - K1 to AOS in Pennsylvania

Old Feb 28th 2016, 3:07 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

ScottUK1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence - K1 to AOS in Pennsylvania

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience in the process of obtaining a drivers licence in Pennsylvania (I live in Philadelphia)? I can't find any definite answers for this state and don't want to risk driving around much longer if my UK licence isn't valid.

I arrived on a K1 visa on 28th December, and I get married on 19th March. My I-94 is valid until 03/26/16.

Thanks!
Old Feb 28th 2016, 3:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence - K1 to AOS in Pennsylvania

You can probably get one now, valid until March 26. But then you can't get another one until you have your EAD in hand. You're getting married quite late after arrival on the K-1.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 28th 2016 at 3:29 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 4:39 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can probably get one now, valid until March 26. But then you can't get another one until you have your EAD in hand. You're getting married quite late after arrival on the K-1.

Rene
Thanks! Yeah we were avoiding a winter wedding.
Any ideas how long my UK license is valid in PA?
Old Feb 28th 2016, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look on the DMV web site for new residents.

In my State I needed EAD.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 6:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990
Any ideas how long my UK license is valid in PA?
Probably isn't, once you've made the state your residence. You'll have the usual, what ever the state says you have to get a state license. Usually 30-60 days. Some times less, sometimes more.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 6:40 pm
US Citizen / UK Citizen

Originally Posted by Bob
Probably isn't, once you've made the state your residence. You'll have the usual, what ever the state says you have to get a state license. Usually 30-60 days. Some times less, sometimes more.
Ok. Struggled to find a clear answer to this on the DMV page.
If my name isn't on a lease, and theres no evidence of the state being my official residence as of yet, is the license then valid? Sorry if these are dumb questions.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You're living in the state, not as a student, seeking medical care or because of a legal case, then you're pretty much considered resident of the state for driving license purposes.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottUK1990
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience in the process of obtaining a drivers licence in Pennsylvania (I live in Philadelphia)? I can't find any definite answers for this state and don't want to risk driving around much longer if my UK licence isn't valid.

I arrived on a K1 visa on 28th December, and I get married on 19th March. My I-94 is valid until 03/26/16.

Thanks!
I took a quick look and it seems like 60 days:
Pennsylvania New License Application Info | DMV.org
Old Mar 6th 2016, 12:01 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Pennsylvania, not too far from Philly and I've been going through the same process as you. Staying in hotels or with friends, your UK license will be valid here for 1 year unless you take up residency. The state defines that you took up residency as the date you moved into your apartment or house whether you rent or own. After that date, you have 60 days to get a PA license.

For that, firstly you need a medical examination from a doctor and they will need to fill in a part of the DL-180 form (application for learners permit) for you with you completing the rest of it. Then, pay a visit to your local DMV office. You need an SSN and 2 proofs of address in this state to get a learners permit. They look over your documents and check your eyesight using a little desktop sight machine. It's like an opticians visit, nothing to worry about. After that, you be sent over to use a computer to take your knowledge test. You need to get 15 of 18 multi-choice questions correct to pass. Assuming you do this (and it's embarrassingly easy) you'll be issued with a learners permit and a driver number.

You then need to take a driving skills test. New appointments are released every Wednesday at 4am Eastern for 6 weeks in the future. If you can get a test before this, you're really lucky. Parallel park, drive around for a bit and Bob's your uncle, you have a PA driving license.

Good luck!

Last edited by hmvsdog; Mar 6th 2016 at 12:09 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 7:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

The OP does not need a learner's permit -- unless his UK license has been expired for over six months.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 8:00 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The OP does not need a learner's permit -- unless his UK license has been expired for over six months.
Sorry Nutmegger. Whilst that may be true for other states, that is not correct for Pennsylvania. Non US citizens are treated as new drivers and have to go through the whole process, including getting a learners permit.

In Pennsylvania, your scenario is correct if you have a valid license from another US state and not expired for over 6 months.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 9:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
For that, firstly you need a medical examination from a doctor and they will need to fill in a part of the DL-180 form (application for learners permit) for you with you completing the rest of it.
Wow, that's pretty harsh! Needing a medical exam just to get a learners permit? That could get pretty expensive.

Rene
Old Mar 6th 2016, 10:05 pm
I don't (often) bite

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Wow, that's pretty harsh! Needing a medical exam just to get a learners permit? That could get pretty expensive.

Rene
Yeah, that was my thoughts too. i had mine done at a local health centre and they did it as an "emergency" appointment on the day. Again, nothing to worry about. The doctor asked me a few questions about my health history. Checked my height, weight and blood pressure. Looked in my ears and mouth. That was it. It cost $65
Old Mar 7th 2016, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

A lot of states, you get the learners permit to be eligible to take the actual drivers test. Just having a valid foreign license usually waives the requirements you would need to fulfil with the permit such as the x hours of lessons and drive time before being able to take the test.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 12:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
Sorry Nutmegger. Whilst that may be true for other states, that is not correct for Pennsylvania. Non US citizens are treated as new drivers and have to go through the whole process, including getting a learners permit.
And in Colorado

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.