Driving licence eligibility

Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:46 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving licence eligibility

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I find that quite amusing!
That's probably very fortunate...
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:50 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Well, obviously I could (sorry Mo ), but given that the last time I drove was 20-something years ago on the other side of the road, I thought it might be a good idea to have a bit of a warm-up, so to speak.
There, fixed it for ya.
And you have to add the really condescending 'tude to it when you say it.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I think I might be confusing everyone by mixing up my terminology; I need to get an Instruction Permit to enable me to practice driving on the wrong side of the road before I take my test.

Arkansas has a Graduated Licence Program, so there are also Learners' Licences and Intermediate Licences that younger people (under the ages of sixteen and eighteen respectively) get presumably after passing their test.

I spoke to my father-in-law-to-be, and he said I should just call around local DMV offices until I find someone who gives me the answer I want, then go down and speak to them, so I guess that's what I'll spend tomorrow doing!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty J
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I think I might be confusing everyone by mixing up my terminology; I need to get an Instruction Permit to enable me to practice driving on the wrong side of the road before I take my test.

Arkansas has a Graduated Licence Program, so there are also Learners' Licences and Intermediate Licences that younger people (under the ages of sixteen and eighteen respectively) get presumably after passing their test.

I spoke to my father-in-law-to-be, and he said I should just call around local DMV offices until I find someone who gives me the answer I want, then go down and speak to them, so I guess that's what I'll spend tomorrow doing!
If it helps at all (probably won't since you are in a diff state), my OH had to go to a regional license office here in KY, where he presented his docs to ensure he was eligible for a license. The regional office gave him a document that he then had to present to our local office where he took the written and road tests. It may be worth your while to visit a regional office as I would like to think those folks would be a little more in the know. Good luck!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

please forgive my dipstick question here... i've driven in the US before on vacation... if i move there, can i not drive my future hubby's vehicle, until i get a US licence?
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Madelina
please forgive my dipstick question here... i've driven in the US before on vacation... if i move there, can i not drive my future hubby's vehicle, until i get a US licence?
The short answer is yes, the long answer is no.

On a federal level, you're allowed to drive in the US for up to one year with a foreign license, if the foreign country extends the same privilege to people with US licenses.

On a state level, however, if you actually take up residence in a state, this state will require you to obtain a license from that state within a much shorter period of time, like 30 days.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madelina
To be pedantic, there is no such thing as a US license. All driving laws are regulated by the states, therefore all licenses are a state license. Now, every state has different sets of rules that dictate who they will give a license to. If you are a new immigrant, a state can require to see different docs that you will need to prove your status (and thus be eligible for a license). Most states have been cracking down pretty hard on what docs you need to prove your eligibility, so sometimes you have to jump through several hoops.

It's highly possible you will be forced to take the written test and a road test again, before getting your state license. Some, like our state, require the new immigrant to have a learner's permit for at least 30 days before they can take the road test (essentially saying your 20 years of driving abroad mean nothing ). So it's worth researching what your future state require paperwork-wise, so you know how many hoops you need to jump through.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:19 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
The short answer is yes, the long answer is no.

On a federal level, you're allowed to drive in the US for up to one year with a foreign license, if the foreign country extends the same privilege to people with US licenses.

On a state level, however, if you actually take up residence in a state, this state will require you to obtain a license from that state within a much shorter period of time, like 30 days.
Not in Oregon they accept a foreign license for 12 months under the Federal agreement.

What some States don't say is they abide by this agreement but their published requirements are more tuned towards current residents moving between States. A properly worded question can elicit the information. When I called O-DMV and asked they said straight away my UK license was good for 12 months.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Driving licence eligibility

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
It's highly possible you will be forced to take the written test and a road test again, before getting your state license. Some, like our state, require the new immigrant to have a learner's permit for at least 30 days before they can take the road test (essentially saying your 20 years of driving abroad mean nothing ). So it's worth researching what your future state require paperwork-wise, so you know how many hoops you need to jump through.
Hmmmm taking a driving test is a bit like being 17 again, right? awesome, i'll be a teenager again!