Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving licence clarification

Driving licence clarification

Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:47 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
CAdreaming's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,696
CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving licence clarification

Hello all - not sure if I am posting in the right part of the forum but would be grateful for any clarification on my query

I'm moving out to the US on March 16th and the DVLA have informed me that I dont need to do anything about changing my address on my UK driving licence (it is a paper one going back to the year dot!)

They also said that they dont make a record of any new address in the USA or note on their records that im not living in the UK ( I will still have the original property in the UK where my licence is registered)

When I come back to the UK to visit (the intention being to come back every couple of months) I can still drive my car (giving it to my bro and will hopefully be able to drive on his insurance)

It seems a bit too easy....is this others experiences please?
CAdreaming is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:31 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 181
airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all
Default Re: Driving licence clarification

Originally Posted by CAdreaming View Post
Hello all - not sure if I am posting in the right part of the forum but would be grateful for any clarification on my query

I'm moving out to the US on March 16th and the DVLA have informed me that I dont need to do anything about changing my address on my UK driving licence (it is a paper one going back to the year dot!)

They also said that they dont make a record of any new address in the USA or note on their records that im not living in the UK ( I will still have the original property in the UK where my licence is registered)

When I come back to the UK to visit (the intention being to come back every couple of months) I can still drive my car (giving it to my bro and will hopefully be able to drive on his insurance)

It seems a bit too easy....is this others experiences please?
It's what they told me as well. Although you will encounter differing opinions.

I suspect the DVLA and Police would prefer you to drive on a UK licence when in the UK as they then have a method of punishing you for a driving offence which they don't if you are driving on an overseas licence!

I have discussed with both my insurance company and the DVLA about what I need to do as I plan in leaving my car locked in my garage in a trickle charger to use when I come home on trips. It only costs me £140 to insure it FC now which reduces to £65 for stored with limited road use and the road tax is cheap as well. Much cheaper to do than renting a car each time.

I think that it is a perspective thing, many people on here seem to move with the intention of everything being permanent and pretty much severing all ties. I am more of the mind that it's an adventure and we could go and do 5, 10 or more years but I will always be British and not end my ties.

But certainly from the standpoint of the DVLA what you are suggesting is OK as they have told me in writing that being an overseas resident does not invalidate your UK licence. As long as it is registered to an address where they can contact you then that should be enough. Same goes for the car registration. So your home address and forward your mail works.

In our case we are just going to keep the house as a 'holiday home' for when we get fed up of the sunshine, great service and cheap food and feel the need for that cold dark damp that sinks into your bones that only the UK can provide.......

Last edited by airways; Jan 24th 2011 at 9:52 am.
airways is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:51 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
CAdreaming's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,696
CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence clarification

Originally Posted by airways View Post
It's what they told me as well. Although you will encounter differing opinions.

I suspect the DVLA and Police would prefer you to drive on a UK licence when in the UK as they then have a method of punishing you for a driving offence which they don't if you are driving on an overseas licence!

I have discussed with both my insurance company and the DVLA about what I need to do as I plan in leaving my car locked in my garage in a trickle charger to use when I come home on trips. It only costs me £140 to insure it FC now which reduces to £65 for stored with limited road use and the road tax is cheap as well. Much cheaper to do than renting a car each time.

I think that it is a perspective thing, many people on here seem to move with the intention of everything being permanent and pretty much severing all ties. I am more of the mind that it's an adventure and we could go and do 5, 10 or more years but I will always be British and not end my ties.

But certainly from the standpoint of the DVLA what you are suggesting is OK as they have told me in writing that being an overseas resident does not invalidate your UK licence as long as it is registered to an address where they can contact you. Same goes for the car registration. So your home address and forward your mail works.

In our case we are just going to keep the house as a 'holiday home' for when we get fed up of the sunshine, great service and cheap food and feel the need for that cold dark damp that sinks into your bones that only the UK can provide.......
Airways thank you so much for this! I have emailed DVLA to have them put it in writing to me. Just called my insurance company (I will drive on UK licence when i return for visits and brothers insurance) to cancel - grrrr didnt realise it cost so much to cancel the policy!

Wow you are going where there's sunshine! Lucky! When do you go?
CAdreaming is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:54 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 181
airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all
Default Re: Driving licence clarification

We are off to Florida shortly. Did you look at keeping the policy and putting it on storage cover? I went that route as it keeps the no claims bonus rolling on.
airways is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:56 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
CAdreaming's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,696
CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence clarification

Originally Posted by airways View Post
We are off to Florida shortly. Did you look at keeping the policy and putting it on storage cover? I went that route as it keeps the no claims bonus rolling on.
Ah never thought of that....but I am giving my car to my brother to use (he will register it i guess in his name) I will call them to ask for other options
thank you!
Lovely - Florida!! Im off to Northern Cal - no sun , lots of fog - and trees
CAdreaming is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:04 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 181
airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all
Default Re: Driving licence clarification

Originally Posted by CAdreaming View Post
Ah never thought of that....but I am giving my car to my brother to use (he will register it i guess in his name) I will call them to ask for other options
thank you!
Lovely - Florida!! Im off to Northern Cal - no sun , lots of fog - and trees
It depends on how long you will be away for. If you are gone a long time then you will loose the bulk of your no claims. By having someway of keeping it going you won't have a problem. I bought my car brand new about 18 months ago so did not feel inclined to lend it to anyone and of course being a Diesel the fuel does not go stale so it can sit there. It will have to be on a trickle charger as there are so many electronics in it from TV&DVD to tracking system that if its not run for a week the battery goes flat!!!

I am sure Florida is going to be hell......... I will have to come back to the UK midsummer so I can experience being cold and wet again.....
airways is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:37 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
CAdreaming's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,696
CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence clarification

Originally Posted by airways View Post
It depends on how long you will be away for. If you are gone a long time then you will loose the bulk of your no claims. By having someway of keeping it going you won't have a problem. I bought my car brand new about 18 months ago so did not feel inclined to lend it to anyone and of course being a Diesel the fuel does not go stale so it can sit there. It will have to be on a trickle charger as there are so many electronics in it from TV&DVD to tracking system that if its not run for a week the battery goes flat!!!

I am sure Florida is going to be hell......... I will have to come back to the UK midsummer so I can experience being cold and wet again.....
Ah Im not sure when I will be back actually living in UK - but am keeping property here..(.planning to visit as soon as i have AP) .I imagine too long to keep no claims and the easiest way for me is to give me bro my car (its about 7 years old now anyway) and he can register it for him, insure it and then I will just drive it when im here

Oh florida sounds awful how can a brit handle such sunshine!! I cant believe that im going all the way to the USA to end up with practically english weather!!!
CAdreaming is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:44 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 181
airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all
Default Re: Driving licence clarification

At least the weather will give you something properly British to complain about rather than mundane stuff like healthcare and guns......

I am still very nervous about the move but looking forward to the opportunity to explore, meet new people and be allowed to shoot them (joke about the shooting...)! My long term goal is to visit each of the states. I have done about half a dozen so far and CA is definitely on my list. As I said I won't miss the damp or the taxation!!
airways is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:53 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
CAdreaming's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,696
CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence clarification

Originally Posted by airways View Post
At least the weather will give you something properly British to complain about rather than mundane stuff like healthcare and guns......

I am still very nervous about the move but looking forward to the opportunity to explore, meet new people and be allowed to shoot them (joke about the shooting...)! My long term goal is to visit each of the states. I have done about half a dozen so far and CA is definitely on my list. As I said I won't miss the damp or the taxation!!

good luck with your move!
CAdreaming is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:07 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 556
Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Driving licence clarification

Originally Posted by airways View Post
It will have to be on a trickle charger as there are so many electronics in it from TV&DVD to tracking system that if its not run for a week the battery goes flat!!!
I go away most winters and leave the car for up to 3 months but I just disconnect the ground terminal on the battery. Don't like the idea of a trickle charger running in a garage.
Keith is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:40 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 181
airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all
Default Re: Driving licence clarification

Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I go away most winters and leave the car for up to 3 months but I just disconnect the ground terminal on the battery. Don't like the idea of a trickle charger running in a garage.
I cant unfortunately do that as it has so much stuff that runs in the background which includes the alarm and tracking unit the moment you disconnect the battery all hell breaks loose. The curse of the modern car.

I have been using conditioner chargers for years on my bikes without problem and it's easier to leave that connected than the hassle of a flat battery or disconnecting everything that draw from the battery.
airways is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.