Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving licence

driving licence

Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:33 am
Just Joined

heyhoney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving licence

Hi. Can anyone tell me if you have to be a resident of a state to get a USA driving licence?
I was watching one of those 'place in the sun' progs and I'm sure one of the house searchers said they had already got their American driving licence but they lived in the UK.
Thanks!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:43 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: driving licence

Originally posted by heyhoney
Hi. Can anyone tell me if you have to be a resident of a state to get a USA driving licence?
I was watching one of those 'place in the sun' progs and I'm sure one of the house searchers said they had already got their American driving licence but they lived in the UK.
Thanks!
you must have a SSN to get a DL. to get a SSN you will have to be a resident. it could have been different a few yrs back.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 12:07 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gross50
you must have a SSN to get a DL. to get a SSN you will have to be a resident. it could have been different a few yrs back.
From the Florida DMV website :-

Non-Immigrants

Each non-immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:

Employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Justice (Form I688B or I-766); or
Proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by United States Department of Justice (Form I-94, not expired, with required supporting attachment(s). If in doubt regarding required documents, please bring all of your INS documentation with you.). I-94s must be accompanied by a Passport. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are:
F-1 and M-1 classification must also be accompanied by an I-20.
I J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by an IAP-66.
Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation.

The following documents will only be accepted with a supporting document, including but not limited to a Passport, Florida Driver License or Identification Card, Driver License from any other state, Employment Authorization Card, Employer Identification, Identification from home country, Identification from school or college, Social Security Card or other INS document.

I-571 Travel Document/Refugee Travel Permit
I-512 Parole Letter Accepted
IJO- Asylum or Cancellation of Removal - Immigration Judges Order granting Asylum or Cancellation of Removal.
All required and supporting documents MUST be original or certified.
Documents must be valid for more than 30 days from the date of issuance.
Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 30-day, no photo, paper temporary permit and a receipt. Non-U.S. citizens applying for an identification card will be issued a receipt.
All records are transmitted to our database in Tallahassee, where the information will be examined and run against FDLE, FBI and INS databases.
Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or identification card will be issued within 30 days from Tallahassee, mailed to the address on the driver record. The license or identification card will be issued for the period of time specified on the INS document.
If a problem is detected, a denial of issuance letter will be mailed to the customer.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by heyhoney
Thanks!

I live in Wisconsin and I dont have a SSN number, I took my driving test last Friday. I had to prove I had an address which I did with a utility bill. Plus I produced my passport and my UK driving licence. I completed a slip of paper confirming I didn't have an SSN number.

If you are a non US resident you may drive with an international driving licence for 12 months. After this period you will need to get a state driving licence. (You should really check with your local DMV)

My motor insurance company put pressure on me to take the test although they agreed to insure me for up to a year without one. My premiums were high though so I guess I paid for their risk. I would recommend taking the test asap, for insurance purposes and also makes life easier should you be stopped by the Police.

Good Luck
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:20 pm
irb
Forum Regular

irb is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting the driving licence is one thing, getting car insurance is another. 'Place in the Sun' info should only be part of your research.

We are British snow birds, spending 3-6 months, usually in winter in our home in Florida. We have B1/B2 visas, so we are not classed as residents. We have had SSN since 1993, we had to apply for them when we bought our house in 1993, they are stamped 'not for employment'. We have FL driving licences that run out in 2007. We are concerned that they will not be renewed. Without FL drivers licence we cannot get insurance for our car. If they are not renewed we have to sell up and find somewhere else to overwinter. It is not financially viable to rent a car for 3-6 months.

Our broker told us that most major insurers won't touch us without, FL drivers licence and US issued credit card. We found another broker who found us a policy but at a higher price and less coverage.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:23 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by irb
We have FL driving licences that run out in 2007. We are concerned that they will not be renewed.
Why wouldn't they be? You have a residential address there and an SSN, isn't that the criteria?
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by irb
Getting the driving licence is one thing, getting car insurance is another. 'Place in the Sun' info should only be part of your research.

We are British snow birds, spending 3-6 months, usually in winter in our home in Florida. We have B1/B2 visas, so we are not classed as residents. We have had SSN since 1993, we had to apply for them when we bought our house in 1993, they are stamped 'not for employment'. We have FL driving licences that run out in 2007. We are concerned that they will not be renewed. Without FL drivers licence we cannot get insurance for our car. If they are not renewed we have to sell up and find somewhere else to overwinter. It is not financially viable to rent a car for 3-6 months.

Our broker told us that most major insurers won't touch us without, FL drivers licence and US issued credit card. We found another broker who found us a policy but at a higher price and less coverage.
If you have a SSN and a permanent address then there is no problem with you re-taking your driving test in 2007. Also if you have an SSN number you can open a bank account in the States. There's not many banks that would refuse and see your business walk out the door. (Incidentally I was actually able to get a bank account without an SSN number especially as I remarked I was so worried about ALL that money sat at home! Obviously that was on the undertanding I would get one) It makes sense to have a US bank account anyway as there are so many services that you can only book with US credit cards
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:44 pm
irb
Forum Regular

irb is an unknown quantity at this point

We were told the reason the insurance co wanted US issed credit card it that transients and older persons have accidents and move back up north or move on somewhere else and it causes them loads of work trying to trace them, if they ever find them. It seems transients and older persons are more likely not to have a credit card. We were told if you have a checkable credit card you are a good risk. We have everything else but our credit cards are UK issued. We will apply to our US bank for a credit card this year, even if we have to put down $500 on deposit with a $500 limit, at least it will give us credit rating and show we are decent people.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Smile

Originally posted by irb
We were told the reason the insurance co wanted US issed credit card it that transients and older persons have accidents and move back up north or move on somewhere else and it causes them loads of work trying to trace them, if they ever find them. It seems transients and older persons are more likely not to have a credit card. We were told if you have a checkable credit card you are a good risk. We have everything else but our credit cards are UK issued. We will apply to our US bank for a credit card this year, even if we have to put down $500 on deposit with a $500 limit, at least it will give us credit rating and show we are decent people.
Good for you. Even a Visa card that takes money straight from your account (like Switch in the UK) is sufficient. That way you can buy services from the internet or over the phone. Its also safer to have your spending money in the bank rather that at home.

We are always buying flight deals through sites like travelocity to take mini vacations, without a US card we would be unable to do that.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by irb
We have FL driving licences that run out in 2007. We are concerned that they will not be renewed.
Orginally posted by Lisa England
If you have a SSN and a permanent address then there is no problem with you re-taking your driving test in 2007.
I would have assumed, that since you have licenses, that you would have no issue with renewing them. And, assuming (big assumption) the renewal process is the same for B1/B2 holders as it is for citizen, there is NO test to retake. You simply take your old license in there. Tell them you want to renew it and fork over your money. No proof of address or anything needed. At least not here in Kentucky. I've renewed my license twice since I was 16 and never retaken any test whatsoever. If your license has been expired for a certain period of time you may be required to re-take the written and/or road test.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:40 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
I would have assumed, that since you have licenses, that you would have no issue with renewing them. And, assuming (big assumption) the renewal process is the same for B1/B2 holders as it is for citizen, there is NO test to retake. You simply take your old license in there. Tell them you want to renew it and fork over your money. No proof of address or anything needed. At least not here in Kentucky. I've renewed my license twice since I was 16 and never retaken any test whatsoever. If your license has been expired for a certain period of time you may be required to re-take the written and/or road test.
Here in sunny FL :-

Non-United States Citizens: You must apply in person at a driver license office and present proof of legal presence.

The actual proof varies depending on whether you are a GC holder or not. See myearlier posting.

It appears that this is different from State to State. Check out the DMV website for the State your licence was issued in.

Post 9-11 a lot of new regs have come in which make things quite difficult even for normal law abiding citizens.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:17 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I took the Florida driving test and was issued a license while visiting on holiday. Things really must have changed though as that was 1992/3.

Originally posted by TRPardoe
From the Florida DMV website :-

Non-Immigrants

Each non-immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:

Employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Justice (Form I688B or I-766); or
Proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by United States Department of Justice (Form I-94, not expired, with required supporting attachment(s). If in doubt regarding required documents, please bring all of your INS documentation with you.). I-94s must be accompanied by a Passport. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are:
F-1 and M-1 classification must also be accompanied by an I-20.
I J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by an IAP-66.
Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation.

The following documents will only be accepted with a supporting document, including but not limited to a Passport, Florida Driver License or Identification Card, Driver License from any other state, Employment Authorization Card, Employer Identification, Identification from home country, Identification from school or college, Social Security Card or other INS document.

I-571 Travel Document/Refugee Travel Permit
I-512 Parole Letter Accepted
IJO- Asylum or Cancellation of Removal - Immigration Judges Order granting Asylum or Cancellation of Removal.
All required and supporting documents MUST be original or certified.
Documents must be valid for more than 30 days from the date of issuance.
Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 30-day, no photo, paper temporary permit and a receipt. Non-U.S. citizens applying for an identification card will be issued a receipt.
All records are transmitted to our database in Tallahassee, where the information will be examined and run against FDLE, FBI and INS databases.
Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or identification card will be issued within 30 days from Tallahassee, mailed to the address on the driver record. The license or identification card will be issued for the period of time specified on the INS document.
If a problem is detected, a denial of issuance letter will be mailed to the customer.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:20 pm

Originally posted by CaliforniaBride
I took the Florida driving test and was issued a license while visiting on holiday. Things really must have changed though as that was 1992/3.
When I was in the Merchant Navy, on QE2 sailing into Port Everglades every now and again, I knew several people who had FL licences without FL homes.

I doubt that they could do the same again today.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Movieguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gross50

They,ve tightened things up. Now all States must conform with new fed-regs and require s.s. #,s and proof of res. You can probably thank Vincente Fox,s perseverence for that.

Last edited by Movieguy; Feb 6th 2004 at 9:12 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 10:04 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Again and again people post this crap about needing a SSN to get a DL.

It's not true!

What you need is proof of residency and, if you're on a visa that doesn't entitle you to a SSN, you need to prove that fact by either presenting the visa or a letter from the Social Security office stating that you're not entitled.

...but however many time's I explain this, people will just keep trotting out the same line about a SSN being "essential" in order to feel smug that they have one and the person asking the question can't get one.

Perhaps people should check their facts before posting "expert" replies to people's important questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.