Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Lessons

Driving Lessons

Old Dec 19th 2005, 3:29 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Lessons

[QUOTE=syllk]
Originally Posted by Dan725
Before I came to the US, I'd never seen a car on its roof before...now I've seen many. Where do they learn to do that? Is there a special school that teaches this?
Yes. I completed every course at that school. I am their top student ever.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 3:34 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
Ever wished you'd never mentioned pen and paper?
"Rolling with the homies"
Old Dec 19th 2005, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Titchski
I learnt to drive in Denver, CO. I took lessons in the UK, but never passed my test as I didn't need a car (pub was round the corner, work was a train ride away and the shopping was done at the corner shop and/or chippy
Pretty much the same here, though work was a 5 minute walk away for me in the UK. Here it's 20 which isn't too bad, but it's stuff like the grocery store being a ~30 min walk which is going to be a bit much.

Cheers everyone for the advice, lots of useful stuff. One question though, will I need a 'learners permit' to take driving lessons? Or is that just for under 18's?

Apologies too for indirectly inducing the 'bitchfight', but I guess it was entertaining nonetheless.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 5:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drebin
Pretty much the same here, though work was a 5 minute walk away for me in the UK. Here it's 20 which isn't too bad, but it's stuff like the grocery store being a ~30 min walk which is going to be a bit much.

Cheers everyone for the advice, lots of useful stuff. One question though, will I need a 'learners permit' to take driving lessons? Or is that just for under 18's?

Apologies too for indirectly inducing the 'bitchfight', but I guess it was entertaining nonetheless.
Most if not all of the info you need should be here:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

You do need a permit; to get that you need to visit the DMV (see below for document requirements) and pass the vision and theory test.

"To apply for an original driver license if you are over 18, you will need to do the following:

* Visit a DMV office (make an appointment for faster service)
* Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
* Give a thumb print
* Have your picture taken
* Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
* Verify your birth date and legal presence
* Provide your true full name
* Pay the $25 application fee (the application fee for a commercial driver license is $57)
* Pass a vision exam
* Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 36 questions on the test. You have three chances to pass.(Sample Test)

Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing DMV will not be administering written or audio exams after 4:30 p.m.

You will then be issued a permit if you have never been licensed before. When you practice, you must have an accompanying adult who is 18 years of age or older, with a valid California license. This person must be close enough to you to take control of the vehicle if necessary. It is illegal for you to drive alone.

To take your driving test, you will need to:

* Call a DMV office to set up an appointment. (Driving tests are not given without an appointment. Call 1-800-777-0133 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday - Friday, to make a drive test appointment.)
* Provide proof of financial responsibility
* California Insurance Requirements"

HTH!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I'm flattered. You got up that earlier to respond to my post. Really, you should get more sleep, then you wouldn't be so snippy or offensive to begin with.

While you're at it read your original post and get over yourself.
Please don't feel flattered. I wouldn't waste my precious time to get up and write a post to you.

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

Coming from a 17's POV.. and seeing a bunch of 'Grown ups' talking about this... I'd have to say, im quite amused!!

haha.. you should all take an ebonics lesson bitches.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:14 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

WELOME!!! One and all to the "Amerlisa's How to make friends and influence people" thread.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:20 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
WELOME!!! One and all to the "Amerlisa's How to make friends and influence people" thread.

Oh I don't know... - I think she got as good as she gave!

Pity they chickened out before the real mudwrestling started...
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
Oh I don't know... - I think she got as good as she gave!

Pity they chickened out before the real mudwrestling started...
In the words of that great modern icon philosopher type guy Ronald McDonald..."I'm lovin' it"
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:34 am
Homebody

In the words of that great modern icon philosopher type guy Ronald McDonald..."I'm lovin' it"

Do you think they'll come back and show us what their nuggets are made of?
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:36 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Please don't feel flattered. I wouldn't waste my precious time to get up and write a post to you.
But you did so your time is evidently not as precious as you purport. You're back again, ma beetch. I'm still flattered.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:36 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Do you think they'll come back and show us what their nuggets are made of?
Mine's pure breast.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:37 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

Sssh. I'm getting some great tips.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:38 am
Account Closed

Mine's pure breast.
Ahem!! Proof please.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 2:40 am
Homebody

Mine's pure breast.

You mean as in boob?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.