Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Lessons

Driving Lessons

Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Lessons

Originally Posted by Hiro11
My grandparents clearly should not be out on the road, yet there they go...
I have a 90 year old grandmother that just got her license (from the State of Oregon in case your wondering) renewed, this past September. :scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Drebin
A couple of weeks ago I moved to CA. I have no drivers license, not even a UK one. Having a car isn't really optional here, so inevitably I'm going to have to run one to keep up a decent standard of living.

In the UK I got to a pretty decent standard of driving, close to taking the test, my maneauvers(sp?) all down and all. It was about 4 years ago though I was last behind a wheel.

Now, I get the impression passing the test is easy compared to the UK. But nonetheless I think it'd be a good idea if I took some lessons before I take the plunge with the test.

What I'm wondering is:
- Do I need a learners permit? From somewhere like this: http://www.cal-driver-ed.com/ Or is there a better (cheaper) way of doing it?

- Am I required to have a certain amount of hours behind the wheel before I can take the test? I don't really have the time nor want to waste the cash on lessons when I get to a level they become unnecessary.

- Oh, and what can I expect running a car to cost? In regard to:
* Insurance
* Registration costs
* Smog
* Maintenance
* Anything else?
I've obviously never owned one so a bit in the dark. Don't plan on anything fancy, just an underpowered compact car.

Thanks a lot!
turn up sober-ish, speak to everyone about Princess Di in a Hugh Grant accent , dont hit anything and you'll be fine
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:17 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

CaliforniaBride is right, the DMW website is a good place to start. Here's a link to the license page: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#2500

You will first need to pass the written test, vision test, etc., at which you'll be issued a permit so that you can learn how to drive. Formal instruction isn't required, you just need an adult with a valid driver's license to ride in the car with you as you learn. The driving test is easy, and you won't be branded with a large red "L" on your car once you've passed the test.

A used car purchased in California should come with a recently issued smog certificate. Don't buy a car that hasn't been freshly smogged, otherwise you could be stuck with costly repairs. (Technically speaking, the seller is required to provide one, but in practice, it will become your problem if the car doesn't pass smog.) Better yet, if buying from a private party, have them smog the car at a place of your choosing, so that you know that the results weren't manipulated a friend of the seller who bent a few rules to get it passed.

Insurance is costly, particularly for a new driver without a driving record residing in an LA zip code. Don't be surprised if a policy with comprehensive and collision coverage costs you $2,000-3,000 per year, and shop around to get the best rate possible.

In California, you will have to pay sales tax when buying a used car, even if buying from a private party. The tax rate is based upon the county in which the car is registered, not where you buy it, so buying outside of your county of residence won't save you anything on taxes.

Car sales and thievery seem to go hand-in-hand everywhere in the world, and California is no exception. If buying from a private party, be wary of many fake private parties who are actually operating dealerships of sorts from their homes. These people often buy cars that have been wrecked or are in poor repair, and then try to patch them up just enough to make a profit. Often, they sell cars with "salvage title", i.e. cars that have been declared total losses by insurance companies due to accident, flooding, etc.. I'd strongly recommend that you not purchase such cars at any price, as the damage may be more extensive than first may appear, i.e. flood cars with rotted electrical systems, etc.

You can find ads from a number of sources, including Craigslist, the Recycler, Auto Trader, and the local newspapers (LA Times, Daily News, etc.) Again, be wary of the number of scams and dodgy sellers you'll inevitably encounter. One way to screen out these sellers is to begin your phone call with "Hi, I'm calling about the car for sale" without mentioning what kind of car it is, which will invariably reveal that a seller has more than one available and is therefore probably a quasi-dealer. Also, ask them how long they've owned the car and for maintenance records, which will help to provide a paper trail for their period of ownership. In the LA area, these home-based dealers are more common than you may think, and are best avoided.

Good luck (you're going to need it...)
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:40 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Oh you seem to have made a mistake; you don't actually need to be able to "drive" in the British sense of the word - just make sure you can go forwards, backwards and turn the wheel.
...and honk the horn whilst drinking a Starbucks grande and chatting on your mobile.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Triumphrob]
Be very afraid! Americans are the worlds worst drivers.
Rob
You are not kidding. I've seen better driving in Cairo. The traffic system here, with all that freeway swervery, is a big cause of accidents too. Never I have seen so many side swipes and other avoidable incidents than I have in the USA, with everyone changing lanes all at once but never indicating, whilst gassing on the cell phone, eating a big mac and drinking a 52 Oz coke.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:44 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Dan725]
Originally Posted by Triumphrob

You are not kidding. I've seen better driving in Cairo. The traffic system here, with all that freeway swervery, is a big cause of accidents too. Never I have seen so many side swipes and other avoidable incidents than I have in the USA, with everyone changing lanes all at once but never indicating, whilst gassing on the cell phone, eating a big mac and drinking a 52 Oz coke.
Before I came to the US, I'd never seen a car on its roof before...now I've seen many. Where do they learn to do that? Is there a special school that teaches this?
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

The driving test isn't very hard at all in the states. It consists of driving around a enclosed course for 10 minutes showing basic manuvers. (I think you can actually take it on the road to, i have a friend who did that).
Smog laws you shouldn't have to worry about unless you modify your car in some way shape or form, most cars should not have any trouble passing the inspection.

Ill just, second or third... concur that absolutley nobody in this country can drive . Please take that into consideration, especially if you go to live in a highly populated part of cali'.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:45 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Oh you seem to have made a mistake; you don't actually need to be able to "drive" in the British sense of the word - just make sure you can go forwards, backwards and turn the wheel.
I thought the wheel turning was optional actually.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I thought the wheel turning was optional actually.
On the Florida test it wouldn't surprise me!
Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

The only thing I like about our drivers is that they don't sit on their horns when someone doesn't pull out at a green light. Only out of towners do that. Floridians have learned that you count to ten or max five before pulling out at a green light, because invariably, some old color-blind, blue rinsed dear, will drive through a red light.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:50 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
The driving test isn't very hard at all in the states. It consists of driving around a enclosed course for 10 minutes showing basic manuvers.
Only in some states - in others (eg New York) the test is actually out on the public streets, but it still isn't half as long or as difficult as the UK road test.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 9:04 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
That's because the homeboys don't know how to use a "puter".

Just wondering if I'm going to get blasted for that remark......
Why not? It's offensive enough.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 9:11 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Triumphrob]
A couple of weeks ago I moved to CA. I have no drivers license, not even a UK one.

A complete idiot can pass a driving test in this country. Thats why there is so many wrecks and why insurance is so expensive.
Get a car with the highest impact rating you can!
My wife was injured in a wreck last week by a stupid Americam soccer mum who rear ended her at high speed while on her cell phone.
Be very afraid! Americans are the worlds worst drivers.
Rob
unfortunatly you are spot on!!!! - americans make for awful drivers - well at least the ones around CA

Ant
Old Dec 18th 2005, 9:14 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I have a 90 year old grandmother that just got her license (from the State of Oregon in case your wondering) renewed, this past September. :scared: :scared: :scared:
nothing against your grandmother - but im a firm believer that once you hit a certain age - say 60 - you should have to re take your pratical test!

better still, everyone regardless of age should have to renew their licence every few years, say 10!

Ant
Old Dec 18th 2005, 9:18 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen
better still, everyone regardless of age should have to renew their licence every few years, say 10!

Ant
Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.