Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Lessons

Driving Lessons

Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Driving Lessons

A couple of weeks ago I moved to CA. I have no drivers license, not even a UK one. Having a car isn't really optional here, so inevitably I'm going to have to run one to keep up a decent standard of living.

In the UK I got to a pretty decent standard of driving, close to taking the test, my maneauvers(sp?) all down and all. It was about 4 years ago though I was last behind a wheel.

Now, I get the impression passing the test is easy compared to the UK. But nonetheless I think it'd be a good idea if I took some lessons before I take the plunge with the test.

What I'm wondering is:
- Do I need a learners permit? From somewhere like this: http://www.cal-driver-ed.com/ Or is there a better (cheaper) way of doing it?

- Am I required to have a certain amount of hours behind the wheel before I can take the test? I don't really have the time nor want to waste the cash on lessons when I get to a level they become unnecessary.

- Oh, and what can I expect running a car to cost? In regard to:
* Insurance
* Registration costs
* Smog
* Maintenance
* Anything else?
I've obviously never owned one so a bit in the dark. Don't plan on anything fancy, just an underpowered compact car.

Thanks a lot!
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:16 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Driving Lessons

Originally Posted by Drebin

- Oh, and what can I expect running a car to cost? In regard to:
* Insurance
* Registration costs
* Smog
* Maintenance
* Anything else?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$

Probably somewhere in the region of 4-6K per year for your insurance.
The rest is peanuts by comparison. Unless you buy a right lemon of course.

As for the driving test. Learn the theory inside out - especially all the legal bollox like DUI penalties etc, turn up, pay the DMV person, answer some questions on a PC then have 5 mins driving round a carpark.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Dec 18th 2005 at 4:19 am.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:21 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Unless you buy a right lemon of course.
What about buying a wrong lemon, or even a left lemon? Geez, you can get any type in the good 'ole US of A!!
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:22 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MJC
What about buying a wrong lemon, or even a left lemon? Geez, you can get any type in the good 'ole US of A!!
Its a free country. You can have the lemon of your choosing here.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:24 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK I got to a pretty decent standard of driving, close to taking the test, my maneauvers(sp?) all down and all. It was about 4 years ago though I was last behind a wheel.

Thanks a lot!

If you got up to a pretty decent standard in the uk - you may not even need any lessons in CA, the CA test is scarily easy!! - they might as well give out the licences in boxes of cereal!!

Ant
Old Dec 18th 2005, 1:40 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Drebin]A couple of weeks ago I moved to CA. I have no drivers license, not even a UK one.

A complete idiot can pass a driving test in this country. Thats why there is so many wrecks and why insurance is so expensive.
Get a car with the highest impact rating you can!
My wife was injured in a wreck last week by a stupid Americam soccer mum who rear ended her at high speed while on her cell phone.
Be very afraid! Americans are the worlds worst drivers.
Rob
Old Dec 18th 2005, 1:58 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Triumphrob]
A couple of weeks ago I moved to CA. I have no drivers license, not even a UK one.

A complete idiot can pass a driving test in this country. Thats why there is so many wrecks and why insurance is so expensive.
Get a car with the highest impact rating you can!
My wife was injured in a wreck last week by a stupid Americam soccer mum who rear ended her at high speed while on her cell phone.
Be very afraid! Americans are the worlds worst drivers.
Rob
I'll second that even worse in Florida when you get the geriatrics down for the winter they wreek morw havoc than any ****ing hurricane. Half of them can't control their limbs.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 2:39 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot!
Take a look on here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/ There is loads of information and they have a tutorial and sample theory tests. I just did the tests and read the book once and I passed. As for the driving test if you have a pet monkey you could send it out save you taking the day off work!

Seriously, all you will need is to book a two hour lesson with an instructor. The test is not intended to weed out the morons just to get anybody and everybody onto the roads. Two hours with an instructor and you will be ready. He'll tell you everything you need to know to pass. But really, you probably don't even need that. Though, it will help you with your confidence.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 2:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Its a free country. You can have the lemon of your choosing here.
The OP lives in CA which, as we all know, produces a lot of lemons... and other citrus fruit!

NC Penguin
Old Dec 18th 2005, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother with the lessons if you've already reached a pretty good standard in the UK. I never drove in the UK, but passed my test after just two hours of driving around a parking lot for practice. The test then took 10 minutes.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 3:41 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$

Probably somewhere in the region of 4-6K per year for your insurance.
The rest is peanuts by comparison. Unless you buy a right lemon of course.

As for the driving test. Learn the theory inside out - especially all the legal bollox like DUI penalties etc, turn up, pay the DMV person, answer some questions on a PC then have 5 mins driving round a carpark.
We're talking California here...they're still stuck in the 20th century with good ol' pen and paper.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
We're talking California here...they're still stuck in the 20th century with good ol' pen and paper.
That's because the homeboys don't know how to use a "puter".

Just wondering if I'm going to get blasted for that remark......
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:18 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
I'll second that even worse in Florida when you get the geriatrics down for the winter they wreek morw havoc than any ****ing hurricane. Half of them can't control their limbs.
But they vote, and thus get to keep their licenses. It's a sham. My grandparents clearly should not be out on the road, yet there they go...

Besides, none of you have seen bad driving unless you've lived in Boston for a while. I've seen people there backing down highway entrance ramps after they missed the fifteen signs indicating that a highway entrance ramp was coming up. We're talking braindead, people.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:52 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've seen people there backing down highway entrance ramps after they missed the fifteen signs indicating that a highway entrance ramp was coming up. We're talking braindead, people.
Standard practice here in Jersey.

And with regard to Americans being the world's worst drivers, I think that's a tad unfair - nothing I've seen here comes close to the hair-raising experiences I had while living and driving in Africa.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of weeks ago I moved to CA. I have no drivers license, not even a UK one. Having a car isn't really optional here, so inevitably I'm going to have to run one to keep up a decent standard of living.

Now, I get the impression passing the test is easy compared to the UK. But nonetheless I think it'd be a good idea if I took some lessons before I take the plunge with the test.
Oh you seem to have made a mistake; you don't actually need to be able to "drive" in the British sense of the word - just make sure you can go forwards, backwards and turn the wheel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.