Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Lessons

Driving Lessons

Old Mar 4th 2005, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

dignity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving Lessons

No, I AM entitled, but, THEY don't appear to know or understand!

Originally Posted by izibear
What??? I'd check again. I do know they put in some draconian rules a while back, but AILA has been working constantly since then to have it changed, I do know that in FL you have to have your I-797 and they give you a driving licence for 2 years, if you're AOS, or till the end of your visa.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I went to the NY DMV when I got my SS# and applied for a learners permit, was then told that I needed at least 6 months on my visa before I could get the permit. I hadn't filed for an adjustment of status by then so had to wait. I confess that I did get irritated by the whole start again process especially as I have had a UK HGV 1 licence for the last 16 years, couldn't understand why they won't tranfer a full UK licence for a full licence here. In NY I believe you can just transfer a Canadian licence for a NY licence, I suppose they see UK licence holders as a risk because of the drive on the left thing.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
...In NY I believe you can just transfer a Canadian licence for a NY licence, I suppose they see UK licence holders as a risk because of the drive on the left thing.
I think it's because we don't allow them to transfer a license in the UK anymore...
Can transfer a canadian license in the UK, not for a full license, but to drive automatics...
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:03 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Driving Lessons

I've just picked up my husband from the airport. He's been in the Bahamas all week on his company's conference (had to stay at that Atlantis hotel - he said it was awful, a monstrosity - basically Las Vegas on a beautiful island - took 20 mins just to walk from his bedroom to the meeting room in the hotel...

Anyway I digress...

It turns out that because the Bahamas used to be a British colony they drive on the left. However, they import all their cars from the US (cheaper than shipping in right hand drive cars).

Can you imagine driving a left hand drive car on the left all the time? (wonder how the American tourists cope if they have a rental car?!!!!

(I've driven our British right-hand drive cars in mainland Europe but that was just for holidays....I was driving from Boulogne to Paris and the only adult in the car - kids were little then - and having to walk around the car to pay the tolls at the booths...)