Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving LA to Salt Lake

Driving LA to Salt Lake

Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future
Default Driving LA to Salt Lake

I am visiting the US on business soon and as I arrive on a Saturday and don't need to be work until the monday have been toying with the idea of driving from LAX up to Utah -

Looking at a map seems best way is head to Vegas and then North. Anybody have any idea on how long a drive it is? What are the speed limits in California, Nevada, Utah?

Any tips greatfully received.

Thanks
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:43 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving LA to Salt Lake

I've been told about 9 hours each way by someone who used to do it frequently.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:37 am
The OC

MancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really nice

The i-15 to Vegas get very busy on the weekends. Friday afternoon and most of Saturday people are heading up there from SoCAL. Sunday you will meet all those folks heqading home. The I-15 through the desert is only 2 lanes wide. Past Vegas, all the way to Salt lake, should be a clear run.

Limit is 65, few people go that slow through the desert though. There are CHP along the way and they do have planes that enforce speed limits though I have never seen one or heard of anyone caught by one. Yet!

Take food and water with you for the drive, just incase. If you breakdown in the desert you'll need to drink plenty if the AC isn't running.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MancMan

There are CHP along the way...............
Cheers - What the hell are CHP? Sounds like something out of 'ALIEN'
Old Apr 25th 2007, 5:57 am
The OC

MancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really niceMancMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Herm
Cheers - What the hell are CHP? Sounds like something out of 'ALIEN'
You never saw "Chips"

I can hear the theme tune in my head right now.

da da di-da daaa....da da dada da da da daaaaaaah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHiPs

http://www.chp.ca.gov
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

KimberlyA is an unknown quantity at this point

the trip LA to Vegas is a little dry, all dessert, the second part should be a lot of fun with amazing places to see. Do the road trip!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KimberlyA
the trip LA to Vegas is a little dry, all dessert, the second part should be a lot of fun with amazing places to see. Do the road trip!
Thanks Kimberly. Thinks I'll take your advice and go for it
Old Apr 26th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

I am visiting the US on business soon and as I arrive on a Saturday and don't need to be work until the monday have been toying with the idea of driving from LAX up to Utah -

Looking at a map seems best way is head to Vegas and then North. Anybody have any idea on how long a drive it is? What are the speed limits in California, Nevada, Utah?

Any tips greatfully received.

Thanks
Herm,You are looking at around 700 miles from LA to SLC.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

markhawksley is an unknown quantity at this point

I've driven this route, but not in one go. Would estimate about 8-9 hours, depending on traffic in California.

The speed limit is enforced between LA and Las Vegas-I've seen many state troopers on this stretch, but you can comfortably go 10mph over. Between Vegas and Salt Lake the speed limit is 75, but I've gone 90 and not had trouble-the state troopers are few and far between. My rule on freeway driving is always make sure someone is going faster then you so that you are not noticeably speeding. I have also never seen the air-patrol.

The drive to Vegas is pretty dull, though prepare for ear-popping as you climb over the Sierras. Vegas to Salt Lake is far more interesting, especially the Virgin River Gorge, which I-15 goes right through near the AZ-UT border. The canyon landscape further north is stunning. Be sure to stop at Zion Canyon NP if you have time.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by markhawksley
I've driven this route, but not in one go. Would estimate about 8-9 hours, depending on traffic in California.

The speed limit is enforced between LA and Las Vegas-I've seen many state troopers on this stretch, but you can comfortably go 10mph over. Between Vegas and Salt Lake the speed limit is 75, but I've gone 90 and not had trouble-the state troopers are few and far between. My rule on freeway driving is always make sure someone is going faster then you so that you are not noticeably speeding. I have also never seen the air-patrol.

The drive to Vegas is pretty dull, though prepare for ear-popping as you climb over the Sierras. Vegas to Salt Lake is far more interesting, especially the Virgin River Gorge, which I-15 goes right through near the AZ-UT border. The canyon landscape further north is stunning. Be sure to stop at Zion Canyon NP if you have time.
Thats more positive - thanks. Won't be leaving LA until mid afternoon - any recomendations on a where to plan an overnight stop. What time does it get dark this time of year?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 4:22 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

NHP(Nevada Highway Patrol) and UHP (Utah H. P. ) like to fill their coffers this time of year. I always travel with my radar detector in this part of the country because it is legal, and has saved my behind a few times. They however have " instant on" technology so they can lock in to your speed rather quickly. Also Utah has gone to a lot of unmarked cars to patrol the I-15 corridor because of accidents. So just be careful. As for time it takes to get here from Vegas, (I live in Salt Lake), averages about 5 -6 hours depending on whether you like to stretch your legs for a spell. Road conditions pretty good until the last 20 miles into SL. Every trucker and their dog seems to be on the highway then. Nightfall at the moment is around 8-ish.

Last edited by Tegwyn; Apr 27th 2007 at 4:26 am.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 4:24 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and most of their cars/trucks are white, and usually American brands like Ford and Chevrolet.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

markhawksley is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats more positive - thanks. Won't be leaving LA until mid afternoon - any recomendations on a where to plan an overnight stop. What time does it get dark this time of year?
Vegas baby! Gets dark around 7.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by markhawksley
Vegas baby! Gets dark around 7.
So any recomendations on where to stay in Vegas bearing in mind I'll have been awake for around 35 hours and directions won't be my strong point.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:31 pm
The OC

go to www.vegas.com and choose the cheapest place on the strip.