Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving into the US and flying out

Driving into the US and flying out

Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Migmulat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving into the US and flying out

Hey does anyone have experience with driving into the US from Canada and flying out back home (to Europe)? I understand I will have to get out of the car at the US border and fill out the green form, but how do I return it when flying home, now when the green forms are phased out on air travel for VWP citizens?

Best regards
Old Jun 21st 2011, 4:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving into the US and flying out

You can save the green card, or send it back to Kentucky.

What are you doing with the car?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 4:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Migmulat
Hey does anyone have experience with driving into the US from Canada and flying out back home (to Europe)? I understand I will have to get out of the car at the US border and fill out the green form, but how do I return it when flying home, now when the green forms are phased out on air travel for VWP citizens?

Best regards
When you leave the US by air the form will be taken from your passport by the check in agent.

I believe the form has been relaced with a stamp when you fly into the US...not sure about travelling by road from Canada into the US.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When you leave the US by air the form will be taken from your passport by the check in agent.

I believe the form has been relaced with a stamp when you fly into the US...not sure about travelling by road from Canada into the US.
He has it right.. you still do the I-94 at the land border. It costs $6 USD.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
He has it right.. you still do the I-94 at the land border. It costs $6 USD.
Yeah I thought I'd read on here that was still the case...thanks for clarifying.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 10:17 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The airlines still collect a ton of white forms and will just add your green stub to that pile.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Just wanted to give an update on what happend in case someone else are looking for same info later. In my original post I had forgotten to say I flew into the US then drove into Canada and returned to the the US by land and flew out.

When me and my friend (he has a B1 visa with a white sticker in his passport and I was on the VWP), drove up to the officer he took our passports looked briefly in them, asked if we had been flying since we had been admitted to the US in JFK, then returned the passports and said safe trip, no getting out of car no new stamps seemed like he considered the small trip into Canada and returning as one continious stay in the US (if not formally then in practise). I might be wrong but guessing he was interested in where either we had flown to decide if he should take out my friends sticker and give a new one (and maybe have me fill out the green one).
Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

When me and my friend (he has a B1 visa with a white sticker in his passport and I was on the VWP), drove up to the officer he took our passports looked briefly in them, asked if we had been flying since we had been admitted to the US in JFK, then returned the passports and said safe trip, no getting out of car no new stamps seemed like he considered the small trip into Canada and returning as one continious stay in the US (if not formally then in practise). I might be wrong but guessing he was interested in where either we had flown to decide if he should take out my friends sticker and give a new one (and maybe have me fill out the green one).
Thanks for the update. I had a very similar experience three years ago, flying into the US, driving into Mexico, then driving back into the US.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 12:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just wanted to give an update on what happend in case someone else are looking for same info later. In my original post I had forgotten to say I flew into the US then drove into Canada and returned to the the US by land and flew out.

Your experience of crossing the border is normal. When you travel to Canada by land the sticker is not removed from your PP.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Your experience of crossing the border is normal. When you travel to Canada by land the sticker is not removed from your PP.
So for a person traveling on the WVP like this there wont be no form or stickers at all
Old Aug 9th 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
Thanks for the update. I had a very similar experience three years ago, flying into the US, driving into Mexico, then driving back into the US.
We drove from Michigan to Boston In feb, this route took us through Canada. My visa remained in my passport for the journey, no requirement to obtain a new one. We were asked as to the nature of our journey at Poe in Canada, but that was all. Stamp remained. I understand this to be normal practice.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

... seemed like he considered the small trip into Canada and returning as one continious stay in the US (if not formally then in practise)...
You hit the nail on the head. This is a matter of long [like 90 years] practice and in many contexts was formally true also.

The 1996 amendments replaced the former concept of "entry" with "admission." Nonetheless, the former practices continued.

Please note that practice can change at any time. For example, in August 2001, my father and stepmother took an Alaska cruise followed by a two-week driving trip in British Columbia. I insisted that they take their US passports. My stepmother poohed-poohed the idea as unnecessary. I asked that they humor their immigration lawyer son -- after all, I always took our passports. Lets put it this way, when they returned on September 14, 2001, the US had dramatically increased border security. My step-mother thanked me profusely for insisting they take the passports.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Aug 9th 2011 at 1:12 pm. Reason: correct syntax error mea culpa
Old Aug 9th 2011, 1:03 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

seemed like he considered the small trip into Canada and returning as one continious stay in the US (if not formally then in practise).
You're right that it *seems* like that in practice. It would be too burdensome to replace all of the paperwork considering some visa holders cross back and forth daily.

However, it's important to note that the practice is one of mutual convenience as long there are no other issues or concerns.

They may, at their discretion, allow someone to resume the remainder of a VWP admission, or continue to use a previously issued Form I-94 if they have a visa if they merely depart to Canada for the day. Be aware that going to Canada, even for a minute, is considered a departure from the US.

The nonimmigrant traveler is subject to all grounds of inadmissibility and can be just as easily denied entry back to the US like they had never before set foot in the US if there is a problem.