Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving on International License

Driving on International License

Old Jun 12th 2002, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

pezeke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving on International License

My fiance is coming to visit and he has an international drivers license. My question is can he drive here in the US? I have to work a few days he is here and it would be nice for him to meet me at work and we take lunch together. I just do not want to do anything that would be illegal. It already makes me nervous to think of him driving...LOL I am sure he drives faster and such over there in Europe but I am just really nervous.
Old Jun 12th 2002, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving on International License

Yes, he is allowed to drive in the US. There is an international treaty that allows anyone who is a tourist/non-resident with a valid license to drive for up to a year in other countries.

You obviously need to check your insurance coverage and extend it, if necessary.
Old Jun 12th 2002, 4:20 am
Mrtravel

How long he can drive her depends on the state. If he is from one of the counties
involved in the treaty (sorry, I can't remember the name of it), then he is entitled
to drive here for 1 year as a visitor. If he becomes a resident (depending on your
state's definition, not INS), then he needs a state license.

There is no requirement in the US for him to have an IDL, his home country's license
is enough. In order to use an IDL, you must have a license from somewhere. The IDL is
used to translate that license into multiple languages, so it is recommended
especially if a different alphabet/character set is used in the country visiting. The
IDL, by itself, is not valid for driving.

pezeke wrote:

> My fiance is coming to visit and he has an international drivers license. My
    > question is can he drive here in the US? I have to work a few days he is here and
    > it would be nice for him to meet me at work and we take lunch together. I just do
    > not want to do anything that would be illegal. It already makes me nervous to think
    > of him driving...LOL I am sure he drives faster and such over there in Europe but I
    > am just really nervous.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 12th 2002, 4:20 pm
Jackson Pride

In order to get a license, he will need a COUNTRY drivers license from an accepted
country. Yes, he can drive on the International license. Keep in mind our DMV here in
FL told my brother-in-law that the International DL was not worth the paper it was
printed on. But he got a FL DL in no time and it was not a problem. Taiwan happens to
be on the list of accepted countries.

--
Jackson "pezeke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > My fiance is coming to visit and he has an international drivers license. My
    > question is can he drive here in the US? I have to work a few days he is here and
    > it would be nice for him to meet me at work and we take lunch together. I just do
    > not want to do anything that would be illegal. It already makes me nervous to think
    > of him driving...LOL I am sure he drives faster and such over there in Europe but I
    > am just really nervous.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 17th 2002, 6:20 pm
Michael Voight

Jackson Pride wrote:
    >
    > In order to get a license, he will need a COUNTRY drivers license from an accepted
    > country. Yes, he can drive on the International license. Keep in mind our DMV here
    > in FL told my brother-in-law that the International DL was not worth the

IDL is NOT useful by itself, but is useful in some places when someone needs to read
your license and they are not familiar with your language or alphabet.

The purpose of IDL is not to replace a DL, it is to make clear the information
contained on it. It is a multiple language translation of several major items on your
normal DL.