Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving In Illinois - Better Read This First!!!!!

Driving In Illinois - Better Read This First!!!!!

Old Mar 1st 2006, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Driving In Illinois - Better Read This First!!!!!

Hi Everyone,

The State Police are getting very tough on speeders in Work Zones, in Illinois.

Fine for 1st Offence: $375

Fine for 2nd Offence: $1,000 + 90 day Licence Suspension

Here's the Press Release;

http://www.dot.state.il.us/press/r020906.html

Safe Travels

Jim.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 3:21 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving In Illinois - Better Read This First!!!!!

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Hi Everyone,

The State Police are getting very tough on speeders in Work Zones, in Illinois.

Fine for 1st Offence: $375

Fine for 2nd Offence: $1,000 + 90 day Licence Suspension

Here's the Press Release;

http://www.dot.state.il.us/press/r020906.html

Safe Travels

Jim.
Yep - awesome.
It'll almost be exclusively at construction zone though like you say - there are a ridiculous number of deaths at construction zones up here though the fact that they usually take about 7 years to complete the work might also be a contributory factor.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 3:56 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

The signs have been up for months but they didn't have the money for the vans. They are now ticketing people as there's a lot of construction on I-64. Should bring in a lot of money the way people drive.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Good, Illinois drivers are the worst in the country! or at least the snowbirds who come down here are.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:16 am
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Good, Illinois drivers are the worst in the country! or at least the snowbirds who come down here are.

didn't Arizona once have a law that if you're caught 15 mph over the limit it's an automatic prison sentence, or at least a night in jail?
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
didn't Arizona once have a law that if you're caught 15 mph over the limit it's an automatic prison sentence, or at least a night in jail?
I think thats if you're caught doing over 100 mph. You have to be doing 11mph over the speed limit here, to even get a ticket from the speed cameras. Seems a little stupid, to put cameras on the roads to enforce the law, but then let people drive 75 in a 65 without problems.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

mdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud of

I drive through the construction zone on I-64 every day and I think you have to be pretty unlucky to get caught by a cop through there. Most of the time (as long as the traffic is moving) the flow of traffic is moving at 60mph+ the whole way. I've seen the signs about speed cameras since last summer but have yet to see ANYTHING even remotely resembling one.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdglazerman
I drive through the construction zone on I-64 every day and I think you have to be pretty unlucky to get caught by a cop through there. Most of the time (as long as the traffic is moving) the flow of traffic is moving at 60mph+ the whole way. I've seen the signs about speed cameras since last summer but have yet to see ANYTHING even remotely resembling one.
"Going With The Flow" will not be an excuse, though, when the Cameras come into operation. You will still get nailed the $375 or $1,000.

Jim.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 4:58 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

"Going With The Flow" will not be an excuse, though, when the Cameras come into operation. You will still get nailed the $375 or $1,000.

Jim.
Doesn't Illinois have a law that if you don't "Go with the flow" in the fast lane, even if the flow is above the limit, you can be ticketed for holding traffic up??
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

mdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud ofmdglazerman has much to be proud of

Jim.
When I see something that looks like a speed camera or a cop I'll slow down, until then if the rest of the traffic is moving at 65mph then so am I... safety in numbers

Mark
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:04 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

When I see something that looks like a speed camera or a cop I'll slow down, until then if the rest of the traffic is moving at 65mph then so am I... safety in numbers

Mark
They have them now ,don't know where they're at though.
It's been on the local news that they will be ticketing people.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mark
Unfortunately, by the time you see it, the "Talivan" will already have you by the balls and you will be up shit creek without a paddle. The camera automatically takes pictures of every single vehicle breaking the limit.

This link describes what has been happening back in the UK, with regards to similar vans in use there.

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/index2.htm

Jim.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

twiggers is an unknown quantity at this point

Having only moved to Illinois from the UK in Dec I was amazed at how easy the driving "test' was! Only had to drive about a mile, then reverse out of an alley, then back to Driver Facilities. No wonder there are so many poor drivers on the roads in Illinois! :scared:
Do they all think using indicators, sorry, turn signals drains the battery? Never ceases to amaze me how some people drive over here. Let them loose in just a small town in the UK and they'd crap theirselves.
Despite this and the crazy speed limits, driving over here is much better than the UK.