Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in Georgia

Driving in Georgia

Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Driving in Georgia

I am moving to Atlanta, GA in September - and I was just wondering if anyone knows what the grace period is until I need to get a US driving License?

Georgia's DMV website dosent seem to cover this, but I know I cant get one until I get my SSN.

I am sure that i read somewhere that I get a year to get s GA license, but I cant remember where I read this. It may have even been a dream!!

Cheers guys!
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving in Georgia

Originally Posted by dh010447
I am moving to Atlanta, GA in September - and I was just wondering if anyone knows what the grace period is until I need to get a US driving License?

Georgia's DMV website dosent seem to cover this, but I know I cant get one until I get my SSN.

I am sure that i read somewhere that I get a year to get s GA license, but I cant remember where I read this. It may have even been a dream!!

Cheers guys!
http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata...41471757&ty=dl
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by southern comfort
maybe contacting this dept will answer your ?
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys!
You will need a Driver's License to do a lot more than drive - cashing a check, buying liquor in a bar or restaurant in some parts of Atlanta ( Alpharetta, regardless of your age), flying domestically unless you want to carry your passport everywhere). You can drive on a British license but if you get pulled over they will try and confiscate it - don't let them. Check the DMV website well. Maybe there is a way to email them with a Q. BTW, if you transfer in from another State, you have 6 months but you surrender the old license.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by David Richardson
You will need a Driver's License to do a lot more than drive - cashing a check, buying liquor in a bar or restaurant in some parts of Atlanta ( Alpharetta, regardless of your age), flying domestically unless you want to carry your passport everywhere). You can drive on a British license but if you get pulled over they will try and confiscate it - don't let them. Check the DMV website well. Maybe there is a way to email them with a Q. BTW, if you transfer in from another State, you have 6 months but you surrender the old license.
Yeah - the whole ID part of a driving License will also be a benefit I know when a USC comes to the UK, they have a year to get a UK license, and I am sure that there is a federal rule that states foreign license can be used for 12 months. Will see if Georgia DMV have an email address...
Old Aug 5th 2007, 3:21 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Google is your friend...

http://www.dds.ga.gov/business/LE_Update_Winter2007.pdf

Page 2. One year as a Georgia non-resident, 30 days should you gain Georgia residency.

Originally Posted by Georgia Code §40-5-1

(15) "Resident" means a person who has a permanent home or abode in Georgia to which, whenever such person is absent, he or she has the intention of returning. For the purposes of this chapter, there is a rebuttable presumption that the following person is a resident:

(A) Any person who accepts employment or engages in any trade, profession, or occupation in Georgia or enters his or her children to be educated in the private or public schools of Georgia within ten days after the commencement of such employment or education; or

(B) Any person who, except for infrequent, brief absences, has been present in the state for 30 or more days;

provided, however, that no person shall be considered a resident for purposes of this chapter unless such person is either a United States citizen or an alien with legal authorization from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Google is your friend...

http://www.dds.ga.gov/business/LE_Update_Winter2007.pdf

Page 2. One year as a Georgia non-resident, 30 days should you gain Georgia residency.
So, if I am reading this right - once I have been in Georgia 10 days I become a resident. Then I have 30 days to get a license.

Hmm... Thats going to be interesting. Cant get my license until I get a SSN which I am guessing is going to take about 2 weeks. So, that gives me 4 weeks to have a couple of lessons, read up for the theory test, schedule and pass a theory test then schedule and pass a practical test.

I guess its do-able.... at a push... Dosent give you much time though...
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

You become a resident when you have a permanent address, if you spend 2 months living in a hotel like we did waiting on our household goods you are not officially permanent residents.
The residency clock starts when you move into an apartment or house which you have signed a lease for.
The driving test in Georgia is similar to many other US states, you will need to take your passport together with your I-94, your UK licence, your social security card, they will test you on a set a set of computorised multiple choice questions followed by a 2 min wiz round a set of bollards in the parking lot followed by 5 mins out in the traffic, a hand shake from the examiner and Bobs your uncle.
They will take away your UK licence in exchange for your Georgia Licence, and it will only be valid for as long as your visa is valid, apart from that you can be out within 2 hours including all the hanging around, I found it quite painless.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

So, if I am reading this right - once I have been in Georgia 10 days I become a resident. Then I have 30 days to get a license.

Hmm... Thats going to be interesting. Cant get my license until I get a SSN which I am guessing is going to take about 2 weeks. So, that gives me 4 weeks to have a couple of lessons, read up for the theory test, schedule and pass a theory test then schedule and pass a practical test.

I guess its do-able.... at a push... Dosent give you much time though...
I went to SS before ,y 30 days were up and they gave me a letter to take to DMV to say I didn't need an SS# ........ DMV then issued a licence.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I went to SS before ,y 30 days were up and they gave me a letter to take to DMV to say I didn't need an SS# ........ DMV then issued a licence.
I'm guessing if you don't need a SSN, you don't have a work visa.

Anyway, it turns out I might be able to apply for my SSN while I am over for a short trip. Will use my work address as contact address
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for your SSN if you are coming on your L1 visa. Give yourself at least an hour at the SS office, don't go first thing in the morning, better to wait till just afternoon when the spongers have done their stuff. You will need to complete this form http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vimto
You can apply for your SSN if you are coming on your L1 visa. Give yourself at least an hour at the SS office, don't go first thing in the morning, better to wait till just afternoon when the spongers have done their stuff. You will need to complete this form http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf.
Can I use my work address in the US as Mailing Address? If so - great Will give me much longer to get my driving license sorted...
Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

I would think you could use any address, I applied for my SS card while I was still living in a hotel waiting on the slow boat from Dubai with my furniture, it didnt seem to make a difference to the SS.