Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Directions

Driving Directions

Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:35 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold
Default Driving Directions

Has anyone else noticed that in the USA every service installer/delivery driver needs you to give them directions to your house? For example a few months ago we had some new beds delivered, the store wanted full directions to our house from the store, this morning we are waiting to get satellite hooked up at our new house. The guy was supposed to be here between 8am - 12, at 12:15 I call trying to find out where he is, only to be told that he has been trying to call me (despite me calling already and telling them there is no phone at the new house and cell phone service is non existant) to get directions to the house. It's only 2 roads from where he is!! buy a map!!!!

Seriously, has anyone else experienced this? back in the UK I worked as an A/C service engineer which took me all over the country, not once did I have to call someone for directions to their house, I always had a map with me. No one here appears to bother with maps.

Bloody annoying.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:37 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Directions

I would have thought here that everyone would have GPS systems installed.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:39 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nai_in_av
Has anyone else noticed that in the USA every service installer/delivery driver needs you to give them directions to your house? For example a few months ago we had some new beds delivered, the store wanted full directions to our house from the store, this morning we are waiting to get satellite hooked up at our new house. The guy was supposed to be here between 8am - 12, at 12:15 I call trying to find out where he is, only to be told that he has been trying to call me (despite me calling already and telling them there is no phone at the new house and cell phone service is non existant) to get directions to the house. It's only 2 roads from where he is!! buy a map!!!!

Seriously, has anyone else experienced this? back in the UK I worked as an A/C service engineer which took me all over the country, not once did I have to call someone for directions to their house, I always had a map with me. No one here appears to bother with maps.

Bloody annoying.
They normally ask for the nearest cross street. Ever heard of mapquest?
Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
They normally ask for the nearest cross street. Ever heard of mapquest?
mapquest is a bit of a mare if you ain't got all your directions sorted at the start and your half way through your list...

though maps, not much good around here as the roads keep changing
Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nai_in_av
Seriously, has anyone else experienced this?

Bloody annoying.
Never had that problem.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 4:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
I would have thought here that everyone would have GPS systems installed.

hehehehehe our GPS got us hopelessly lost in the wilds of Connecticut when we tried a new way to get to our BE friends' house.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

we have this problem with the pizza guy... its been the same spotty teenager for about 12months... he comes to our place maybe 5 times a month and he ALWAYS gets lost.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:05 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
we have this problem with the pizza guy... its been the same spotty teenager for about 12months... he comes to our place maybe 5 times a month and he ALWAYS gets lost.
Give him a great tip and see if his 'memory' improves!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Give him a great tip and see if his 'memory' improves!

ahh that doesn't work... we even gave him a $15 top once by accident (I can't add up when I'm drunk).
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:57 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
ahh that doesn't work... we even gave him a $15 top once by accident (I can't add up when I'm drunk).
do you always give clothes/toys to your pizza deliverer?!?! Mighty kind of you! Might have to give you some karma for that.