Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in California - licenses and buying cars.

Driving in California - licenses and buying cars.

Old Jul 6th 2015, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

aardvark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving in California - licenses and buying cars.

Thanks for the tip. I know Kellas Blue Book undervalues the car.. But I'm hoping to get most of my money back on it since I did quite a few big repairs and only drove like 5000 miles on it! I'll look into Car Max.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

ChurchillButVincent is an unknown quantity at this point

I have rented cars and driven with the British license with no problems.

Now I own a second hand car and have insurance as well still using my British license. A few months ago I was involved in an accident and my car was written off - it was my fault too. The cops saw my license and said nothing - no so called 'citations' given to me.

Was I lucky ? Only God and the police knows ...I have just applied for a license and have the written and the practical tests to do and I am sure they wont be a problem for me as I have driven here for some time now.

I am sure you are allowed to drive here otherwise Enterprise wouldn't have rented the cars to us and even my 23 year old son rents cars when he is on vacation here .
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChurchillButVincent
I have rented cars and driven with the British license with no problems.

Now I own a second hand car and have insurance as well still using my British license. A few months ago I was involved in an accident and my car was written off - it was my fault too. The cops saw my license and said nothing - no so called 'citations' given to me.

Was I lucky ? Only God and the police knows ...I have just applied for a license and have the written and the practical tests to do and I am sure they wont be a problem for me as I have driven here for some time now.

I am sure you are allowed to drive here otherwise Enterprise wouldn't have rented the cars to us and even my 23 year old son rents cars when he is on vacation here .
There is a fundamental difference between renting as a resident and renting as a visitor, as to whther your foreign licensed is still valid ..... And the staff at the rental agencies can't tell the difference, so they generally will rent based on an invalid foreign license.

Personally, I think you were dämned lucky to avoid a charge of driving without a valid license and insurance, and considering how pathetic the driving test is in the US, I am mystified as to why TF you wouldn't have got a local license as soon as reasonably possible, if not within the statutory time frame?
Old Jul 29th 2015, 12:59 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I was involved in an accident and my car was written off - it was my fault too.
I have just applied for a license and have the written and the practical tests to do and I am sure they wont be a problem for me as I have driven here for some time now.
I know the driving tests here are quite simple, but I would expect yours to be a problem if you drive as you have been!
Old Sep 20th 2015, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Moonsquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

This is such a useful post - thank you for the detailed description of the test, great to know it's pretty straightforward!

I'm moving to CA on a K1 visa (interview is tomorrow so fingers crossed)! Can I go ahead and get a license on the K1, or do I have to wait for my SSN, or even the AOS to be completed?

We're thinking that hubby would buy my car, register it under his name, and just add me to his insurance (we'll both be driving the new car from time to time) so it'll be cheaper. Was thinking he could just add my UK license to his insurance, but from reading all this, looks like it makes sense for me to take the test sooner or later..
Old Sep 20th 2015, 4:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moonsquirrel
This is such a useful post - thank you for the detailed description of the test, great to know it's pretty straightforward!

I'm moving to CA on a K1 visa (interview is tomorrow so fingers crossed)! Can I go ahead and get a license on the K1, or do I have to wait for my SSN, or even the AOS to be completed?

We're thinking that hubby would buy my car, register it under his name, and just add me to his insurance (we'll both be driving the new car from time to time) so it'll be cheaper. Was thinking he could just add my UK license to his insurance, but from reading all this, looks like it makes sense for me to take the test sooner or later..
The problem I believe you face is that if you try to get a license while you're on a K-1, the validity will be limited to the duration of your entry stamp, so you may face having to go back just a few weeks later to get it replaced. Under the circumstances you may be better off "winging it" on your UK license, and driving very carefully , until you have adjusted status and got your SSN.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

^this^

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...l/dl_info#ltlp

While you could, in theory, apply, pass the test and get a license while still on the K1, the license would expire at the end of what the CA DMV considers to be your period of "lawful presence" in the US (ie whatever it says on your I-94)

In practical terms you won't be able to get a CA driver's license until you have your SSN (since requires an SSN if you are eligible for one and, by the time you have started the AOS process you will be eligible but you just won't have one yet).

The wording of the paragraph that I linked to above does suggest that you can go ahead and do the test while still on the K1 and then provide additional "proof of lawful presence" when you have it, at which point you would get the license. I don't know exactly how that would work, and you can be assured that the employees at the Capitola DMV office won't know either.

Last edited by md95065; Sep 20th 2015 at 5:38 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 3:05 am
Just Joined

GR33No is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to SOCAL mate! I'm in Riverside, been here for 3 years. Originally from Liverpool (dual citizenship). Let me know if you guys need anything! Be more than happy to help.

Cheers Scott,
Old Sep 27th 2015, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

UHOP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moonsquirrel

Wait for your Adjustment of Status your still a Temporary Visitor and Can drive on your British Licence.