Reload this Page >

Driving in California - Licence and Insurance

Driving in California - Licence and Insurance

Old Mar 11th 2011, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

choops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in California - Licence and Insurance

Hi,

I intend to go to San Diego with my fiance to work, i will be on L1, once interview is out of the way and she will be on VWP to start with.

Will she be able to get insurance to drive a car that I purchase? Also will we both need to take written and driving tests?

Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in California - Licence and Insurance

She probably won't be able to get a license on the VWP..just get married now and have ceremony later so she can get L2...insurance might be doable but stupidly expensive.

You'll have 10 days to take written and practical test to get a license but reality will be taking longer to get a license.

Look a few posts down, couple of CA license threads already running
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by choops
Hi,

I intend to go to San Diego with my fiance to work, i will be on L1, once interview is out of the way and she will be on VWP to start with.

Will she be able to get insurance to drive a car that I purchase? Also will we both need to take written and driving tests?

Thanks
I will attempt to tackle your question (not the fiance part of it)

- You move, in 10 days go to local SSA office and apply for SSN. Best case scenario you will get SSN in 10 days.
- You book written test appointment at the nearest DMV. For me I had to wait 2 weeks for an appointment.
- Once you pass the written test, you book for an behind the wheel test appt. For me, I had to wait a further 5-6 weeks. (Some people have mentioned you can take the written and behind the wheel same day but I am not sure).
- Once you pass the written test, based on your UK license you will be given a temporary FULL license and you are free to drive on that
- On the day of the behind the wheel test, you will haev to show them proof of insurance etc

Anyway, hope that helps.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Know your stop, left, right hand signals.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 9:38 pm
redruM

southerncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nice

You used to be able to get a temporary paper license on a VWP that would allow you to drive. They no longer issue the green I-94 (if you are flying here) and I don't know that the CA DMV would accept the stamp in the passport as proof of status. I think you need something like 60 days left on your VWP in order to get a full picture license after the behind-the -wheel test. By the time you received it there would probably be only a couple of weeks left on it before it expired.

PS Don't go to the DMV in Hillcrest. Unless you are able to get an appointment you will spend a good 4-5 hours there.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really niceHovik is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks
CA driver license require SSN. To get a SSN she'll need an L-2. ( VWP or B-2 will not suffice, sa : http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/414 )
Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:17 am
redruM

southerncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nicesoutherncomfort is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hovik
CA driver license require SSN. To get a SSN she'll need an L-2. ( VWP or B-2 will not suffice, sa : http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/414 )
CA Drivers licenses do not require an SSN.

That is not what the link says. It says you will not be given an SSN just to get a drivers license. Part 3 of the application form (44) for a Driver license is completed by those who are not eligible for a Social Security Number.

However, you must still show an acceptable legal presence document.

This may all be beside the point, as you fiancée will not be able to drive the car on her own until she has the full (after the behind-the-wheel test) license. When driving on the initial paper license she should be accompanied by a California licensed driver.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Cheers guys, it looks like she may have to drive around in hire car for a bit on Uk licence whilst we sort everything else out! Oooh, thats gonna cost!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys, it looks like she may have to drive around in hire car for a bit on Uk licence whilst we sort everything else out! Oooh, thats gonna cost!
Normally anyone that is not a member of your household will be covered by your insurance policy if they drive your car. Check with your insurance company to make sure that she is covered since the time that she will be visiting you will probably be quite long.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

As a VWP person and when driving using her GB licence, she'll have some coverage via your car insurance.

I did this for six years, intermittently obviously, with the consent of my hubby's insurance co.

NB, I never had to make a claim, so never had try test their word
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ozzidoc, Did you ever apply for Californian licence or just stay on the UK licence? If Uk, did you ever have any encounters with the law and have problems?
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ozzidoc, Did you ever apply for Californian licence or just stay on the UK licence? If Uk, did you ever have any encounters with the law and have problems?
She wasn't living here at the time.

All you need to do is get your partner sorted out with the right visa. It's got to be easier than all this.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Your fiance wont be living here, only visiting intermittently, unless she comes on her own company-sponsored visa, or you marry and she then obtains a visa linked to yours.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
She wasn't living here at the time.

All you need to do is get your partner sorted out with the right visa. It's got to be easier than all this.