Reload this Page >

Driving in CA?

Driving in CA?

Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

stoffmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in CA?

Hi Guys,

I have lived in the USA for about two years, and hold a green card. I live in NY state, and have come to CA for a vacation. I hold a UK drivers license - so the question is, can I hire a rental car in California?

Cheers
Stoffmin
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in CA?

Originally Posted by stoffmin
Hi Guys,

I have lived in the USA for about two years, and hold a green card. I live in NY state, and have come to CA for a vacation. I hold a UK drivers license - so the question is, can I hire a rental car in California?

Cheers
Stoffmin
Not legally with your UK license, it ceased to be valid in the USA after you were a resident in the USA for more than 12 months.

There is a reciprocal agreement between the US and UK under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Driving Licenses that sets the validity as expiring at more than 12 months residency.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Ah - so it is based on country and not state? I thought that because I am an NYS resident that it didn't apply to CA as a visitor.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Ah - so it is based on country and not state? I thought that because I am an NYS resident that it didn't apply to CA as a visitor.

While the Federal government gets to make Treaties and Conventions with other countries, the States get to make driving license laws. But IMHO the fact the convention makes the license invalid in the US under Federal agreements a State cannot make it valid just for their jurisdiction.

If you had resided in NYS less than 12 months the license would be valid but in the circumstances you outline I am as sure as can be it isn't.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What are you driving with (license) in New York?
Old Jul 6th 2010, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
What are you driving with (license) in New York?

I'm not driving in New York - we have the subway or taxis there

Anyway, my wife has a US license so I guess she can just drive and I will sleep