Reload this Page >

Driving in America whilst on holiday

Driving in America whilst on holiday

Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

stevesturdy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in America whilst on holiday

Hi Guys,

Over New Years and in February I will be in California seeing my family and girlfriend. In recent history of me being there, I'm heavily dependent on them driving everywhere, however I've now had enough of it and want to drive whilst I'm out there.

What is the process? It's my understanding that holding a full UK license, I can drive in America. I'm 22 and have held (or will have held) my license for 3 years when I visit at New Years.
My family have a number of cars, is it possible that I can gain insurance (if so, how?) on one of the cars and I can use this to drive round for the days I'm visiting? Or do I have to rent a car from a dealer in order to get around?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated,

Steve
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in America whilst on holiday

Originally Posted by stevesturdy
Hi Guys,

Over New Years and in February I will be in California seeing my family and girlfriend. In recent history of me being there, I'm heavily dependent on them driving everywhere, however I've now had enough of it and want to drive whilst I'm out there.

What is the process? It's my understanding that holding a full UK license, I can drive in America. I'm 22 and have held (or will have held) my license for 3 years when I visit at New Years.
My family have a number of cars, is it possible that I can gain insurance (if so, how?) on one of the cars and I can use this to drive round for the days I'm visiting? Or do I have to rent a car from a dealer in order to get around?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated,

Steve
Yes, you can drive on your UK license.

Your family can add you to their insurance for the limited period you are there. The cost might be a whole other issue!!
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As a visitor you UK licence is all you need - an international driving permit would be a waste of time and money.

You are probably already covered to drive relatives' cars - US insurance usually covers any driver with the owner's permission, but they should check their policies.

If you aren't covered it likely wouldn't cost much to have you added as a named driver unless your relatives drive Ferraris, Lamborghinis, or similar.

Car rental companies often don't rent to someone under 25, or add an insurance surcharge.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 6:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

When my son visits from England I just call my insurance company and tell them. He is covered while he is here and so far they haven't charged me to do so.

A lot of rental companies here have a lower age limit of 25. If they would rent to someone younger there is going to be a surcharge for doing so.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with all the above sentiments in that it'll probably be easier to just borrow a car. However I'll add one piece, for the major rental companies (Hertz, Enterprise, Avis) PC codes/CDP numbers can usually be found relatively easily that will remove any young driver surcharge. I have a legitimate CDP from work that I must use (and cannot give out - sorry) which removes the underage charge, I've used that since I was 19 without issue. Just be sure that if you do opt to use a CDP that you're not familiar with that you ensure it does NOT remove LDW or CDW, ours for example does, but you can specifically ask (and pay) to have it re-added at the counter. The rental website will tell you what is included.

For a start, I believe AAA is always a solid start for a good CDP. Also, if you have a credit card or other associations, many of those have CDP's you're entitled to use.

Fwiw: I've never once been asked for proof of employment. Using a CDP you're not associated with isn't illegal per-se, but it is if you drive without appropriate cover (CDW/LDW), so keep that in mind.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

When Mrs DJ and I were dating, and I came to visit the US, she just called her insurance company, told them I would be driving on a UK licence.

Didn't cost a penny more.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
Agree with all the above sentiments in that it'll probably be easier to just borrow a car. However I'll add one piece, for the major rental companies (Hertz, Enterprise, Avis) PC codes/CDP numbers can usually be found relatively easily that will remove any young driver surcharge. I have a legitimate CDP from work that I must use (and cannot give out - sorry) which removes the underage charge, I've used that since I was 19 without issue. Just be sure that if you do opt to use a CDP that you're not familiar with that you ensure it does NOT remove LDW or CDW, ours for example does, but you can specifically ask (and pay) to have it re-added at the counter. The rental website will tell you what is included.

For a start, I believe AAA is always a solid start for a good CDP. Also, if you have a credit card or other associations, many of those have CDP's you're entitled to use.

Fwiw: I've never once been asked for proof of employment. Using a CDP you're not associated with isn't illegal per-se, but it is if you drive without appropriate cover (CDW/LDW), so keep that in mind.
rental agreements will state that you must be eligible to use the cdp you provided. They may never ask for proof of entitlement at time of rental, but they would if there was ever a claim. Even if CDW/LDW was purchased no guarantee it won't become invalid if the rental agreement terms were violated but using a CDP that renter was not entitled too. Leaving the renter potentially at risk of be uninsured and liable for all costs resulting from an accident.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 1:22 am
Just Joined

iammick is an unknown quantity at this point

My suggestion would be to get a helmet and Hanns neck support, drink heavily and you should be good to go.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You are probably already covered to drive relatives' cars - US insurance usually covers any driver with the owner's permission, but they should check their policies.
That's true of a number of insurance companies here - but a notable exception is Progressive - the last two times I've checked with them, they have advised me that they cover the named insured(s) only.