Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving - Again!

Driving - Again!

Old Aug 30th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving - Again!

Hopefully just a quickie. M. and I will be doing our coast to coast trek late September. I'll only be visiting on that occasion and wanted to share part of the driving if possible.

I've been scouring the DMV websites (boy don't they make life easy for you - not!) to see if there are any states that I CAN'T drive in as a visitor with a UK license. I've managed to find the regulatons noted on the Virginia, Tennessee, Texas and California sites (where it is ok to drive) but can't seem to trace it on the Arkansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico.

Does anyone know is this a state by state thing or am I good to go as a temp visitor on the VWP?

Many thanks.
Mandy
Old Aug 30th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving - Again!

Originally Posted by MandyNi View Post
Hopefully just a quickie. M. and I will be doing our coast to coast trek late September. I'll only be visiting on that occasion and wanted to share part of the driving if possible.

I've been scouring the DMV websites (boy don't they make life easy for you - not!) to see if there are any states that I CAN'T drive in as a visitor with a UK license. I've managed to find the regulatons noted on the Virginia, Tennessee, Texas and California sites (where it is ok to drive) but can't seem to trace it on the Arkansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico.

Does anyone know is this a state by state thing or am I good to go as a temp visitor on the VWP?

Many thanks.
Mandy
You should be good to go anywhere in the US with your UK license.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks for that.

M
Old Aug 30th 2009, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks for that.

M
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:49 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.
Mandy
Whose car will you be driving ... Insurance rears its ugly head
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ehhhh it will be a UHaul Ray. We're loading up the household stuff and will have the car on a trailer.

Oh and congrats on the non-smoking - way to go!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Ehhhh it will be a UHaul Ray. We're loading up the household stuff and will have the car on a trailer.

Oh and congrats on the non-smoking - way to go!
So a rental then .... thats no problem then
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh well now that I think about it, it could be both. I'm assuming - ok so call me naive (make a change from Pikey lol), that M. can add me to his car insurance policy to drive "our" car?

sits quietly back waiting to see if His Rayness now thinks I'm a complete numpty
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you pay for a rental with most credit cards, the credit card company usually provides some level of insurance coverage.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:34 pm
Ray

Oh well now that I think about it, it could be both. I'm assuming - ok so call me naive (make a change from Pikey lol), that M. can add me to his car insurance policy to drive "our" car?
Some companies will do that for a fair sum ...some will want
your first born ...
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks folks, I'll just ask M. to double check both the rental and "our" policy. Quite looking foward to our adventure and not to long to wait now .... unlike the insurance co. if they're waiting on my first born .............. multiple blue moons shalt be in the sky etc. etc.