Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DRIVING ACROSS THE USA AS A FOREIGNER

Wikiposts

DRIVING ACROSS THE USA AS A FOREIGNER

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DRIVING ACROSS THE USA AS A FOREIGNER

I bought a car in the US when I was 21, had no problems taxing, registering and insuring it. I was living here though, on a J-1 visa, and I had a social security number but no US licence.

If you had someone's address to use that might work when it comes to registering and taxing and insuring the car.

You need to decide which state you'll buy the car in, then check all the rules and registration procedures in that state.

Phone some insurance companies and see if they would even insure you.

Once it's registered in one state you should be able drive around the whole country.

In some states your car has to pass an emissions test - mine did in Washington State but not in Maine...
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
there are companies out there that needs cars relocating on behalf of people whom are moving and what not.

check into it.
Yeah - we used Driveaway a few years ago - great way of doing it and you only pay the gas -plus you can go where the cars take you!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 2:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Yeah - we used Driveaway a few years ago - great way of doing it and you only pay the gas -plus you can go where the cars take you!
It has a minimum age of 23...
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
It has a minimum age of 23...
D'oh - I older than i thoughyt
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Look at this site http://www.roadtripamerica.com/
With respect to my fellow BEs advice you might get some more recent experience on there and they also have a forum.
Maybe consider doing this after Uni if you're planning to go??? You'll be over 21 and might open more avenues and reduce costs. The USA will still be here though what condition it'll be in is anyones guess! ;-)
Maybe by then they'll have adopted smaller engines so the gas bill for your trip will no longer be the biggest expense.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know which way round you are planning to go but a friend of mine bought a cheap motorbike in Mexico and drove it around California. Then sold it at the end of his trip! Maybe you can do the same with a car.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Wife also said to point out that this won't be much of a party since you'll get carded for your age so no hanging out in bars etc etc or take outs for back at your room.
I even got carded the other day an I'm 38!
Clearly not an issue if you are a teetotal gap year person!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:55 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Wife also said to point out that this won't be much of a party since you'll get carded for your age so no hanging out in bars etc etc or take outs for back at your room.
Carded?
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:37 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Carded?
photo ID to prove your age.
Surely you get carded all the time Thyd?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I always forget about that, when I was planning a trip to Vegas on another board I couldn't help but feel sorry for all the 19 year old Brits having their Vegas trip hopes dashed!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
what about badges??
I have a badge that say's 'WORLDS BEST DAD' if thats any good
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

I always get carded and I'm 35. I look 35 too. I was flattered at first til the woman at the till said they card everyone who looks under 45 LOL
Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:14 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
I always get carded and I'm 35. I look 35 too. I was flattered at first til the woman at the till said they card everyone who looks under 45 LOL
Actually they card everyone here just never heard it called being carded. The local offy has a sign saying only people over 90 with both parents won't be id checked
Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:55 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Actually they card everyone here just never heard it called being carded. The local offy has a sign saying only people over 90 with both parents won't be id checked
There's not much call for carding in Florida.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was Carded at Washingto Airport once, apparently the card everybody, there was certainly a lady in her 60's who was carded.

I have rasied the issue about not being carded, the best response I had was thit was OK as you Mum was in yesterday and told me that you had just turned 21.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.