Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving across the US in January - Washington DC to San Diego

Driving across the US in January - Washington DC to San Diego

Old Oct 25th 2002, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Tara and Brian is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Driving across the US in January - Washington DC to San Diego

We are planning to drive from Washington DC to San Diego in January. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we must see and do? Where to stay? Best route to take? It's just the two of us - no children. We're already doing the Grand Canyon another time. We'd like to do the trip in two-three weeks. Thanks so much for taking the time to help us out.
Old Oct 25th 2002, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

PCusden is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that time of year the weather can and will be nasty in some areas so you won't want to be too far north. Here's the way I would suggest.

Get out of DC and find Interstate 81 south to Knoxville. After that take 40W thru Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock to Oklahoma City. This will take you all the way across hitting New Mexico and straight into Flagstaff which is the turning you need to get to the GC. After that it is simple to get to San Diego. I have been to the GC where one day sunny then snowing the next. Just remember to be prepared for anything. I am orginally from London but lived here for 18yrs and have driven thru every state and think this is a great route for you. You could also consider heading straight across thru St Louis then heading to Denver where I live now then heading south to get to GC. The only problem with this is you will be driving across the mountains and this can be difficult with weather even for the experienced snow driver. Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions if you need it.
Peter
Old Oct 25th 2002, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving across the US in January - Washington DC to San Diego

Originally posted by Tara and Brian
We are planning to drive from Washington DC to San Diego in January. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we must see and do? Where to stay? Best route to take? It's just the two of us - no children. We're already doing the Grand Canyon another time. We'd like to do the trip in two-three weeks. Thanks so much for taking the time to help us out.
I happen to agree with the route given by PCusden. It is the reciprocal of a drive I did many years ago from LA to DC. Virginia and Tennsesse. Also, I recall that the route takes you through the Texas panhandle -- other friends who have driven across on I-10 spoke of being in Texas forever.

Beware, the Mapquest directions start out quite somewhat northerly, taking you through Pensylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri, before hitting Arkansas. The weather can be a lot chancier then. [I did part of my US Army duty at Ft. Campell on the KY/TN border north of Nashville in winter time. It never did snow -- it was either clear and freezing to warm up over the next four-five days to rain. Which did violence to this Southern California Native's view of proper weather -- where overcast and rain is associated with cold and clear sunshine with warmth].

Have a good trip.