British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving across the Canadian border (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-across-canadian-border-769248/)

Schnorbitz Aug 23rd 2012 1:23 pm

Driving across the Canadian border

I plan to drive from MI into Canada for a weekend trip next month. The vehicle I will be driving is registered in my wife's name. We are both named on the insurance. Does anyone have any experience of crossing into Canada with a vehicle that is not registered to them? Do I need additional documentation aside from the registration and insurance information?

Thanks.

robin1234 Aug 23rd 2012 2:52 pm

Re: Driving across the Canadian border

My wife has many times (dozens of occasions) driven to Canada in a vehicle registered only in my name. As in your case, insurance is in both our names. The question of ownership or registration of the car has never arisen, but if they did ask to see registration and insurance documents, the situation would be clear (that is, we both live at the same address even though we have different family names..)

100weight Aug 23rd 2012 5:22 pm

We have driven into Canada from most entry points in Michigan. Never have we been asked about ownership or insurance. We've even driven our friends car to Niagara. We were named on her insurance just in case.

CWT

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 23rd 2012 7:28 pm

Should not be a problem, they may ask who's car it is, but its common for a spouse to be driving a car in their spouses name.

sunnysideup Aug 25th 2012 8:06 pm

Not answering the question, but you might like this from my last trans-border crossing.

Entering Quebec from Vermont....

Canadian customs officer: 'Good afternoon sir, where are you coming from and where are you going?'
Me: 'Bonjour. We're from Florida, going to Montreal'
Officer: 'Florida eh, Just one question sir, are you bringing in any guns?'
Me: 'No guns sir'
Officer: 'Welcome to canada'
Me: 'Merci!'

On the return home crossing border into New York from Ontario....

US border patrol officer: 'Good afternoon sir, where are you coming from and where are you going?'
Me: 'Been to Montreal, going home to Florida'
Officer: 'Just one question sir, are you bringing in any drugs?'
Me: 'No drugs sir'
Officer: 'welcome home!'

Tells you something about the two cultures :)

Rete Aug 25th 2012 10:12 pm

They sell guns in the US and drugs in Canada

Why did you use the french language when crossing in Canada?

sunnysideup Aug 25th 2012 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 10246401)
Why did you use the french language when crossing in Canada?

Eh? Are you serious? Quebec. Google it. Anyway, some would say Quebec's not Canada :)

Scouse Express Aug 25th 2012 10:47 pm

1) Make sure that your Insurance covers you for Canada.

2) Ontario Provincial Police like to use Mobile Speed Cameras - often to be found on Overpasses.

3) If you have a DUI in your past, you may have to get a Waiver, from Canadian CBP to get in A DUI is considered a Felony in Canada. Google "Canadian Border DUI" for more info.

4) You can get Duty Free, after a 48 Hour Stay in Canada. If you like Rum, Lamb's Navy Rum (151 Proof) is excellent.

5) Make sure you use the Can before you cross the Border. Sometimes, the wait can be long if they're checking everything.

Jim.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 26th 2012 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 10246444)

2) Ontario Provincial Police like to use Mobile Speed Cameras - often to be found on Overpasses.

3) If you have a DUI in your past, you may have to get a Waiver, from Canadian CBP to get in A DUI is considered a Felony in Canada. Google "Canadian Border DUI" for more info.

4) You can get Duty Free, after a 48 Hour Stay in Canada. If you like Rum, Lamb's Navy Rum (151 Proof) is excellent.

5) Make sure you use the Can before you cross the Border. Sometimes, the wait can be long if they're checking everything.

Jim.

Just curious as to why anyone would buy booze in Canada? I find duty free expensive and more expensive then what can be found locally.

Jerseygirl Aug 26th 2012 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 10246444)

Jim.

My husband had a 2 hour wait last Monday when he was entering the US via Buffalo.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 10246792)
Just curious as to why anyone would buy booze in Canada? I find duty free expensive and more expensive then what can be found locally.

Exactly. I can buy it cheaper in the US than they sell it in the Canadian duty free shop at the border.

robin1234 Aug 26th 2012 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by sunnysideup (Post 10246414)
Eh? Are you serious? Quebec. Google it. Anyway, some would say Quebec's not Canada :)

I would only attempt to speak French in Quebec if I was fairly confident that I could conduct the entire conversation in French. Because if your ability in French is poor, you are not doing your conversation partner a favor.. They'll soon revert to English if they think your French is poor. (In my experience.)

I find folks in sales, customer service, border guards etc will usually invite an interaction in either language by saying "Bonjour Hello."

sunnysideup Aug 26th 2012 2:19 pm

Yeah, I try to do the whole thing in French when entering Quebec. I'm reasonably good at it and I do it as a courtesy to them. I lived in Montreal for a while, but learned French in the UK. I still have trouble with the accent and vocabulary in Montreal though. All Canadian federal employees (that obviously includes the customs/immigration officers) are supposed to be bilingual, so you can in fact use French entering any Canadian border crossing, but you are correct - if you are a bit rusty they switch back to English.

Scouse Express Aug 26th 2012 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 10246792)

Lamb's Rum is pretty good stuff. I can't get it in the US.

Don't forget about the English Choocies and other treats to be found in the Duty Free.

Jim.

WEBlue Aug 26th 2012 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by sunnysideup (Post 10247266)
Yeah, I try to do the whole thing in French when entering Quebec. I'm reasonably good at it and I do it as a courtesy to them.

We lived in France for 3 years, though it was long ago, so we tried on a recent trip to Quebec to speak French, with mixed success. But I must say it was a more pleasant experience than trying to speak French in Paris. In fact we couldn't get over how friendly people were in Quebec. We kept expecting French attitudes & got big smiles instead.

Oh & the border entries both ways were a breeze. We did have to wait a half hour at the US border crossing near Montreal, though. But at both borders we were only asked for passports and the purpose of our visit, then asked if we had any alcohol or firearms (Canada border) and firearms or explosives (US border). We answered no both times, got stared at a bit, then waved on.

Ash UK/US Aug 27th 2012 7:55 pm