Driving

Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

eng13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving

I married a US citizen at the beginning of July, my H-1B ran out , with this my driving license also ran out...Until my marriage paper work is filed etc I cant drive...Now, I used to visit America for vacations and was able to drive on my UK license for up to 90 days as a tourist...Im wondering if my husband can add me to the insurance as a tourist on my UK license...any ideas ?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving

Originally Posted by eng13
Im wondering if my husband can add me to the insurance as a tourist on my UK license...any ideas ?
You are not a tourist, you are a resident. He could add you as whatever he likes, but giving false information would I guess almost certainly invalidate the insurance.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

So I guess thats a no to using my English license for 3 months..darn it...Im slowly pulling my hair out.

Thanks for the response.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess thats a no to using my English license for 3 months..darn it...Im slowly pulling my hair out.

Thanks for the response.
Maybe you weren't even supposed to do that once you moved here. So if your H1B is no more, and your marriage paperwork has yet to be filed, are you here legally (I don't know, just asking the question)?

The DMVs/BMVs aren't renowned for their knowledge of such issues but maybe there is a category under which you can apply for a license? Might depend on your answer to the previous question!
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Yes I am here legally....as per my attorney... I wonder if i could rent a car for a few days, hmmmmm so many questions, I just want to be able to go to Walmart

A moped is looking better by the minute ;-)
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am here legally....as per my attorney...
One would have thought given the timing that you might have been able to receive an EAD by now which should allow you to get a license.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am here legally....as per my attorney... I wonder if i could rent a car for a few days, hmmmmm so many questions, I just want to be able to go to Walmart

A moped is looking better by the minute ;-)
You can't rent a car without a license!
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

As far as I can figure out the EAD is applied for at the same time as the "change of Statues" this brings a 3 month wait.... its very much a strain on the old brain cell.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

But I still have my very much in date English drivers license...that was my question, can I drive for the max vacation time of 90 days on it....apparently its a big fat NO!!!

May be I should just get a moped. I drive one for years in the UK..
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I can figure out the EAD is applied for at the same time as the "change of Statues" this brings a 3 month wait.... its very much a strain on the old brain cell.
Has it not been almost 3 months though?

But I still have my very much in date English drivers license...that was my question, can I drive for the max vacation time of 90 days on it....apparently its a big fat NO!!!

State laws vary regarding licensing for mopeds.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No you can't because you're no longer a visiting tourist but residing in the state you're in, so you've got to comply with their rules for a driving license.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:57 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Theoretically your UK license is no longer valid as it doesn't display your present address (clearly, since you are living in the US). Would this stop you from hiring a car, probably not (they have no way of checking this). However, if you were to crash and the insurance company were to find out your license isn't strictly valid and you should have had a license from the State you're in, your insurance would be invalid...
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Given that visas are issued by the federal government and driver's licences by the states, I am not sure why your DL would have expired, and my guess would be that it hasn't. In any case in many statea you don't even need to be a legal resident to get a DL.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Given that visas are issued by the federal government and driver's licences by the states, I am not sure why your DL would have expired, and my guess would be that it hasn't. In any case in many statea you don't even need to be a legal resident to get a DL.
Many states require you to show proof of legal residence to get a license and will tie the validity of the license to the validity of the proof provided.

In other news, omg I just replied to Pulaski! He rises from the mists of time like Brigadoon...
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 11:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Many states require you to show proof of legal residence to get a license and will tie the validity of the license to the validity of the proof provided.
Indeed. It's been years since it was easy to get a drivers license. Partly why there are so many drivers without a license and insurance these days...can't get a license so they don't bother with insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.