Reload this Page >

Drivers Lisences from 2 states?

Drivers Lisences from 2 states?

Old Nov 1st 2004, 4:15 am

maximus76 is on a distinguished road
Default Drivers Lisences from 2 states?

Dear board members,
i have a question,
My friend is having some doubts about his DL.
do you guys know if it is legal to have DLs from two different states at the same time? I mean when you go to DMV you just dont tell them that you already have DL from different state and get the second one?
Or it is totally illegal to have two DL at the same time?
thank you
Old Nov 1st 2004, 4:16 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Drivers Lisences from 2 states?

Originally Posted by maximus76
Dear board members,
i have a question,
do you guys know if it is legal to have DLs from two different states at the same time? I mean when you go to DMV you just dont tell them that you already have DL from different state and get the second one?
thank you
From previous threads it TOTALLY depends on the state you are residing in.
Patrick
Old Nov 1st 2004, 9:24 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Dear board members,
i have a question,
thank you
You don't say what state your friend lives in, but assuming he is an Illinois resident (as you are), then no -- he can't have two licenses at the same time.

This is according to the Illinois DMV's website FAQ page:

I will be working in/moving to Illinois. How do I obtain a driver's license?
Drivers moving to Illinois may use their valid driver's license from their home state or country for 90 days. ... If you have a valid driver's license from another state or country, you may use it to drive in Illinois throughout your stay (if you do not plan to become a permanent resident of this state).

If your friend is not resident in Illinois, then look up the DMV website for that particular state and you should find the answer there.

~ Jenney
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:11 pm
Richard Cochran

maximus76 <member18167@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Dear board members,
    > i have a question,
    > My friend is having some doubts about his DL.
    > do you guys know if it is legal to have DLs from two different states at
    > the same time? I mean when you go to DMV you just dont tell them that
    > you already have DL from different state and get the second one?
    > Or it is totally illegal to have two DL at the same time?
    > thank you:)

Driver licenses are governed by state laws, not national laws, so the
answer may vary based on the states involved (perhaps the laws of up
to three states are involved if you're travelling -- the two from
which you'd hold licenses, and the third in which you'd be driving).

While the answer might vary, all states that I have knowledge of prohibit
holding more than one driver's license. The California law is typical:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc12511.htm

No person shall have in his or her possession or otherwise
under his or her control more than one driver's license.

Note that the California law prohibits not only holding licenses
from multiple states, but also holding a foreign license while
holding a license from a US state.

--Rich

Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:24 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Dear board members,
i have a question,
thank you
Hey there Maximus

The law varies widly from state to state!!
Old Nov 1st 2004, 7:21 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Hey there Maximus

The law varies widly from state to state!!
Hey,, you've been keeping a low profile , How did the Kohl's job work out?
Patrick
Old Nov 1st 2004, 7:56 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Hey,, you've been keeping a low profile , How did the Kohl's job work out?
Patrick

I know!! I was getting ready for halloween, fighting this nasty cold I have and trying to get a job!!, No Kohl's turned me down
What have you been up to??

Ps: Go check my member gallery! I have posted a few halloween pictures
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, you *did not* go as Super Crunchy Balcony Cow! Awesome.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

GoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant futureGoodGirl_J has a brilliant future

I know!! I was getting ready for halloween, fighting this nasty cold I have and trying to get a job!!, No Kohl's turned me down
What have you been up to??

Where is the member gallery, Hyper?
Old Nov 1st 2004, 9:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoodGirl_J
Where is the member gallery, Hyper?
Good Girl,

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s....php?photo=888

Rene
Old Nov 1st 2004, 10:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Dear board members,
i have a question,
thank you
What kind of doubts can you have about a driver's license?

Yes, in most states you have to relinquish your old state's driver's license to get the new state's license.

If you don't tell them and apply as a non-driving citizen, then you are committing fraud aren't you? And why do you need two driver's licenses in the first place. Ooops sorry the terrorists did just that. Hmmm perhaps that is the reason why he wants two or perhaps that is the reason why more states make you give up the other license.

Tell your friend to play by the rules.

Rete