Reload this Page >

Driver's License for temporary residents

Driver's License for temporary residents

Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

sylvia@intrigue.co.uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driver's License for temporary residents

Hi,

I'm trying to find out which states will issue a driver's license for temporary residents; I understand that California does this but not sure of any others.

SS number is no problem, but I am not normally resident in the US (and need to avoid being declared resident as I don't wish to pay tax on overseas earnings).

If anyone happens to know of someplace I can look this up or has experience with this, please let me know.

Thanks,

* Sylvia *
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driver's License for temporary residents

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi,

I'm trying to find out which states will issue a driver's license for temporary residents; I understand that California does this but not sure of any others.

SS number is no problem, but I am not normally resident in the US (and need to avoid being declared resident as I don't wish to pay tax on overseas earnings).

If anyone happens to know of someplace I can look this up or has experience with this, please let me know.

Thanks,

* Sylvia *
The internet is a good place to start...

Usually, people know where they're going in the US which narrows down the search.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:26 pm
Unknown quantity

New in NY will become famous soon enough

In New York State it is possible for a resident of another country to get a driver's licence but it is not recommended. For some peculiar reason they don't think a person should be allowed to have two licences, so they take your foreign licence away when they give you the NYS one...
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license...omothernations
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi,

Thanks,

* Sylvia *
Had a quick look through your website. As I guess you're a US citizen anyway (unless you formally renounced it) and US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income, I can't see the driver's license is going to make any difference to your tax situation. You need to file anyway... Would suggest that you choose any state where there is no state tax to simplify matters. The DL is not going to make you more liable for federal tax -- your citizenship already does that!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends on the state...in maine, you can use a foreign license for 12 months before getting a local license, and same for a couple other states....
Old Mar 26th 2005, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

betsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant futurebetsy has a brilliant future

wisconsin you can get a d.l
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:58 am
Just Joined

sylvia@intrigue.co.uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Had a quick look through your website. As I guess you're a US citizen anyway (unless you formally renounced it) and US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income, I can't see the driver's license is going to make any difference to your tax situation. You need to file anyway... Would suggest that you choose any state where there is no state tax to simplify matters. The DL is not going to make you more liable for federal tax -- your citizenship already does that!
Federal tax yes, state tax is in fact the issue. I had huge issues trying to prove I was not a resident when I left, I hate to start that loop again.

Federal tax gives a decent credit, until you are over that amount you simply need to file, not to pay. In California, at least, that was not the case. Every pound I was paid I was taxed on. This was, to be fair, 12 years ago. I'm not sure what the status is now.

Thanks, all of you, for the replies. I can't help but wonder what NY does if I don't have a license to take, though