Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

drivers license question

drivers license question

Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

j1983m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default drivers license question

one more quick question when i go for my drivers license will my UK license help me get one quicker here? also will they take my UK license off me? is there anyway of getting around this? i don't want to give up my UK license!!!

thanks for any help
Old Jan 19th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: drivers license question

Originally Posted by j1983m
one more quick question when i go for my drivers license will my UK license help me get one quicker here? also will they take my UK license off me? is there anyway of getting around this? i don't want to give up my UK license!!!

thanks for any help
First off, what STATE do you live in? 50 states means 50 sets of rules for driver's licenses.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

well im currently in Al, visiting friends/family but will move onto Ca within the month. i was previously told it would be a lot easier to gain the license here and then transfer it to Ca and just take the written test there rather than try and do both out there in the 5 days or whatever they give you to do it.

i then read about them keeping my Uk license which i dont want them to!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:39 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

NO NO NO

they take 'out of state licenses ' from you and they sort of wondered if they should take my UK licence

I said 'sorry but it's not mine to give, its' the property of the queen '- they shrugged and said OK

anyway you are not exchaging it, they dont recognize it - so they have no right to take it
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
anyway you are not exchaging it, they dont recognize it - so they have no right to take it
I agree with this reasoning. You're going to have to take the full test, so there is no reason for them to have your old license.

well im currently in Al, visiting friends/family but will move onto Ca within the month. i was previously told it would be a lot easier to gain the license here and then transfer it to Ca and just take the written test there rather than try and do both out there in the 5 days or whatever they give you to do it.
What sort of immigration status do you have right now? That makes a difference, and one state might be easier than another, for dealing with proof of status issues.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

im a dual national US and UK but never lived in the US till now. is there any point telling them that i have a uk license? should i just go in saying i want to take the tests to get a license and keep quiet about the Uk one?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

i then read about them keeping my Uk license which i dont want them to!
They can't take away the UK licence and there is no need to even show it to them. Your US licence no matter what state is for US use and when abroad renting a car etc for limited periods. Holding a UK licence will not help you in any way. .... You will have to take the same test as everyone else ....

But don't worry because its the easiest test on earth
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:37 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
But don't worry because its the easiest test on earth
Agreed, 5 minutes around a car park at the back of the DMV building here. The word easy is overstating the difficulty of it
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:44 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

The examiner said my parallel parking was the best she had ever seen - I used to regularly drive to Paris and street park there - and park in tenerife - nobody in the US could attempt that - not one

they need more than 4 inches front and back - most need 4 feet + both front and back and many americans will not even attempt it

However she said I 'barely passed' because i didnt look over my shoulder before changing lanes...

That is number 1 that they are looking for

If you do that you are 70% there

I drive in my 3 mirrors and I know where everyone else is at all times but they dont like that
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One of the states does, they return the license to the DVLA.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 9:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

im a dual national US and UK but never lived in the US till now. is there any point telling them that i have a uk license? should i just go in saying i want to take the tests to get a license and keep quiet about the Uk one?
Depends how you plan to get to the test centre, if your going to drive yourself, then yeah, might want to mention having a UK license...
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
One of the states does, they return the license to the DVLA.
which state is that as a matter of interest ?

and what do the dvla do with it ?

just because you are out of the country for a while doesnt allow dvla to cancel your license
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:19 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

well im currently in Al, visiting friends/family but will move onto Ca within the month.
I'm sorry.. I might be missing a trick here, but dont you have to show proof of residence in a state prior to taking the driving test (practical or theory), and if you are "visiting" what do you intend to use as proof to the DMV?

BTW when I came over to CA (Direct from United Kingdom) I went to DMV, did my theory, and they gave me am interim licence lasting 2 months so I could arrange my practical and practice etc (without another CA driver in the car), since I had declared my UK licence as required on the paperwork. (but didnt surrender it.. and definitely dont do this if they even suggest it at the DMV.. most of them are local idiots who dont know what they are doing half the time).

So I would think you are probably better off waiting until you get to CA and doing the whole lot in one place.

Last edited by Chrissywissy100; Jan 20th 2009 at 10:28 pm. Reason: extra info
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
I'm sorry.. I might be missing a trick here, but dont you have to show proof of residence in a state prior to taking the driving test (practical or theory), and if you are "visiting" what do you intend to use as proof to the DMV?

BTW when I came over to CA (Direct from United Kingdom) I went to DMV, did my theory, and they gave me am interim licence lasting 2 months so I could arrange my practical and practice etc (without another CA driver in the car), since I had declared my UK licence as required on the paperwork. (but didnt surrender it.. and definitely dont do this if they even suggest it at the DMV.. most of them are local idiots who dont know what they are doing half the time).
I have held wisconsin - florida and washington licenses

Nobody gets their mits on my UK licence which isnt my property to surrender

anyway

For residency i had to take my cable company 'agreement to install ' form

- that was florida

They were not interested in the apartment lease agreement - they were totally focused on utility bills
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:27 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

they were totally focused on utility bills
Same experience for me in CA... but if the OP is "visiting" AL they aren't going to be able to produce that are they!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.