Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drivers license question

Drivers license question

Old Jan 29th 2007, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drivers license question

I am having my wife get her Florida license..which she can do with her I-94...but they will make it valid only until the expiry date on her I-94. Here is the question....with the package for AOS submitted, will there be any receipt or document sent to her indicating her stay beyond the expiration of the I-94 is legal pending AOS..so that she can submit something to Florida DMV to have her license extended beyond the expiry of her I-94?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers license question

The receipt/NOA is not sufficient for the extension or even the original obtaining of a driver's license. She can get the DL extended once she has her EAD.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
The receipt/NOA is not sufficient for the extension or even the original obtaining of a driver's license. She can get the DL extended once she has her EAD.
so unless she has the EAD by the time her I-94 expires...not license renewal. Not likely that will happen in two and a half months. I'm assuming the EAD is not issued prior to interview???
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
I'm assuming the EAD is not issued prior to interview???
It should be issued within 90 days of the NOA receipt...
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
It should be issued within 90 days of the NOA receipt...
ahhh. ok. Forgive my stupidity on the subject..I assume the NOA is simply a Notice of Acceptanceor Action or some such thing.. of your applications? It is only proof that they received them. And what is the timline for receiving the NOA?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

so unless she has the EAD by the time her I-94 expires...not license renewal. Not likely that will happen in two and a half months. I'm assuming the EAD is not issued prior to interview???
dakota, you should look into the Florida regulations; these rules vary from state to state. I have a nagging feeling that you might get a happy result with a NOA in Florida, but don't hold me to it. Do a bit more research.

The EAD *is* issued prior to the AOS interview. After a successful AOS interview, the immigrant does not need an EAD--it is the work permit for that time *until* AOS is approved.
EADs are generally issued about 3 months from application date.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
dakota, you should look into the Florida regulations; these rules vary from state to state. I have a nagging feeling that you might get a happy result with a NOA in Florida, but don't hold me to it. Do a bit more research.

The EAD *is* issued prior to the AOS interview. After a successful AOS interview, the immigrant does not need an EAD--it is the work permit for that time *until* AOS is approved.
ahhh. thanks. I looked at Florida DMV website..but need to take another look.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

ahhh. ok. Forgive my stupidity on the subject..I assume the NOA is simply a Notice of Acceptanceor Action or some such thing.. of your applications? It is only proof that they received them. And what is the timline for receiving the NOA?
Notice of action indeed, it's the receipt that they got your application, and they should process the EAD within 90 days of that date...as for how long it takes to get the NOA, can't say, but it's probably within a couple weeks or so from you sending all that stuff in.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna

Florida DMV

Immigrants
Each immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:

1. Alien Registration receipt card, (Green card, Form I-551); or
2. I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94; or
3. Immigration Judges Order, with the customer's A-number, granting asylum; or
4. I-797, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum; or
5. I-797 or another form from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer's application for Refugee status is approved; or

Non-Immigrants

Each non-immigrant who applies for an original driver license or identification card must submit:

1. Employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Justice (Form I688B or I-766); or
2. Proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by United States Department of Justice (Form I-94, not expired, with required supporting attachment(s). If in doubt regarding required documents, please bring all of your INS documentation with you.). I-94s must be accompanied by a Passport. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are:
* F-1 and M-1 classification must also be accompanied by an I-20.
* I J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by an IAP-66.
* Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation.

So at this point..apply for license as non-immigrant...and then hope the EAD arrives fast.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The EAD has nothing to do with the AOS interview other than the pending AOS is the basis for her ability to work.

While Bob and others might tell you the EAD must be received within 90 days of receipt, that is not entirely true and/or accurate. The 90 day period might actually start from the biometric date and not the receipt date and then there is the dilemnia that the district office might not issue her a temporary EAD after a 90 day wait regardless of whatever the law says.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
The EAD has nothing to do with the AOS interview other than the pending AOS is the basis for her ability to work.

While Bob and others might tell you the EAD must be received within 90 days of receipt, that is not entirely true and/or accurate. The 90 day period might actually start from the biometric date and not the receipt date and then there is the dilemnia that the district office might not issue her a temporary EAD after a 90 day wait regardless of whatever the law says.
so it's really all just a crap shhot then.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:40 pm
Concierge

You got it!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:21 pm
Capt. Tuttle

dakota44 wrote:
>>dakota, you should look into the Florida regulations; these rules vary
>>from state to state. I have a nagging feeling that you might get a
>>happy result with a NOA in Florida, but don't hold me to it. Do a bit
>>more research.
>>
>>The EAD *is* issued prior to the AOS interview. After a successful AOS
>>interview, the immigrant does not need an EAD--it is the work permit
>>for that time *until* AOS is approved.
>>EADs are generally issued about 3 months from application date.
>
>
> Florida DMV
>
> Immigrants
> Each immigrant who applies for an original driver license or
> identification card must submit:
>
> 1. Alien Registration receipt card, (Green card, Form I-551); or
> 2. I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94; or
> 3. Immigration Judges Order, with the customer's A-number, granting
> asylum; or
> 4. I-797, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer has been
> granted asylum; or
> 5. I-797 or another form from the Bureau of Citizenship and
> Immigration Services, with the customer's A-number, stating the
> customer's application for Refugee status is approved; or
>
> Non-Immigrants
>
> Each non-immigrant who applies for an original driver license or
> identification card must submit:
>
> 1. Employment authorization card issued by the United States
> Department of Justice (Form I688B or I-766); or
> 2. Proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by United States
> Department of Justice (Form I-94, not expired, with required
> supporting attachment(s). If in doubt regarding required documents,
> please bring all of your INS documentation with you.). I-94s must be
> accompanied by a Passport. Certain classifications require additional
> documentation. Some examples are:
> * F-1 and M-1 classification must also be accompanied by an
> I-20.
> * I J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by an IAP-66.
> * Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be
> accompanied by additional documentation.
>
>
> So at this point..apply for license as non-immigrant...and then hope the
> EAD arrives fast.
>

We had problems getting my wife's Florida DL. We waited until she got
her permanent resident card. That took two years. We then went in with
that and her French DL and she got her Florida DL with no problem at all.
A lot depends on which office you visit and which person you deal with.
One reason we waited was so that she could get her multiple year
license. They know very little or nothing about K-1 visa holders.

Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:43 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am having my wife get her Florida license..which she can do with her I-94...but they will make it valid only until the expiry date on her I-94. Here is the question....with the package for AOS submitted, will there be any receipt or document sent to her indicating her stay beyond the expiration of the I-94 is legal pending AOS..so that she can submit something to Florida DMV to have her license extended beyond the expiry of her I-94?
My husband had the same problem. His I-94 expired and he needed to renew his AZ state ID. He had not yet received his EAD. We went to DMV and they extended his ID to the date his K1 visa was valid (about another 3 months). I asked why they didn't use that date in the first place, they said because they are supposed to use the I-94...but in his case, since his EAD hasn't arrived yet, they'll use the K1 expiration date. I guess it just depends who you talk to. When his EAD came in, we went yet again and extended his ID for 1 year.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My husband had the same problem. His I-94 expired and he needed to renew his AZ state ID. He had not yet received his EAD. We went to DMV and they extended his ID to the date his K1 visa was valid (about another 3 months). I asked why they didn't use that date in the first place, they said because they are supposed to use the I-94...but in his case, since his EAD hasn't arrived yet, they'll use the K1 expiration date. I guess it just depends who you talk to. When his EAD came in, we went yet again and extended his ID for 1 year.

Rene
in our case...all she has is the I-94...so the EAD needs to come quick. lol