Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drivers license in Ohio

Drivers license in Ohio

Old Mar 10th 2003, 1:25 pm
darrenb

Default Drivers license in Ohio

Does anyone know what the specific requirements are for obtaining a license in Ohio. I have held a UK license for around 11 years. Do I need to take the test etc? I know its different for all states and some allow you to just take the written but any advice woudl be helpful.

Thanks

D

Old Mar 10th 2003, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers license in Ohio

Originally posted by darrenb
Does anyone know what the specific requirements are for obtaining a license in Ohio. I have held a UK license for around 11 years. Do I need to take the test etc? I know its different for all states and some allow you to just take the written but any advice woudl be helpful.

Thanks

D
Try looking here, while you are waiting for a response from the board. I live in NY so can't give advice on Ohio. As you say every State different. it's 50 countries in USA.
http://www.state.oh.us/odps/division/bmv/bmv.html
Old Mar 11th 2003, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

myasibe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drivers license in Ohio

Originally posted by darrenb

Thanks

D
As of four years ago when we moved here to Ohio...Things may have changed though.....

You can drive on your UK licence for however long you dont have a residential/permenant address.
We lived in an hotel for 6 weeks and so hubby drove on his UK licence, even leased the car on it and got insurance on it too, no problem.
As soon as you get a residential address you have 30 days in which to get a US drivers permit. If you dont get in within 30 days then if you get pulled up by the bobbies they can nab you, plus, the insurance companies will no longer insure you....It doesn't matter if you go just a few days over the limit (we did) but I suppose that is down to our insurance angency and whether the bobbies pull you up for something.

In hubbies case he had to take all three to get his permit, which was the sight, written and driving test.

Hope this helps
Myasibe