Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drivers License Illinois

Drivers License Illinois

Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drivers License Illinois

Hi, I am looking to get an Illinois drivers license after I got the SSN. Is there anyone who can help me out with the process or give me some tips. I called up the state office and they told me I need identification documents and need to take a road test. They does not seem to accept my overseas license. For the road test I need to bring a car with insurance which I don't have.

I was thinking to get a drivers license in another state like NJ where they accept your overseas drivers license and then get it transferred to IL. Any pointers?

Thanks
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers License Illinois

You can only get a licence from a state where you are resident.

You will need to do a road test. You may be able to take your test in a rented car, others have done, and so did I, though not in IL.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

niceday is an unknown quantity at this point

I did my test in Illinois in a hire car, they just needed to check the contract to look at the insurance.

In terms of other paperwork it is made clear in the Illinois Rules of the Road 2014 document (that you can download from the cyberdriveillinois.com web site) what forms of id are acceptable - I used passport, birth certificate, SSN and copy of lease.

You will need to do an eye test, pass a written test and complete an on the road driving test - all very simple and I completed this whole process in a couple of hours just by turning up at the DMV office one morning.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The Illinois test is laughably easy. Granted I did mine nearly ten years ago but I can't imagine much has changed.

Study up on your book of the road, rent or borrow a car (make sure insurance is correct) and show up at the DMV, expecting a bit of a wait. Do your vision test, written test and road test all in one day and Bob's your uncle.

My test, for what it's worth, consisted of a turn into traffic from the strip mall in which the DMV (Libertyville DMV on IL-137, if you're nearby), then we turned into a residential area at the next set of lights and drove around there for a bit. I did the reverse around a corner, then back we went to the DMV and they took my photo and printed the license. Simples
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
... Simples
Is that a description of the DMV staff?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Is that a description of the DMV staff?
It's not exactly the cream of the crop at the Libertyville DMV, I'll grant you ...
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

It hasn't got any harder in the last 10 years!

I did it in June 2013 and the driving test involved driving out of the car park, going through the traffic lights, stopping at a couple of Stop signs, driving back into car park, parking, reversing out of the space and parking again.

I did it at the Deerfield Centre on Lake Cook Rd.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by niceday
It hasn't got any harder in the last 10 years!

I did it in June 2013 and the driving test involved driving out of the car park, going through the traffic lights, stopping at a couple of Stop signs, driving back into car park, parking, reversing out of the space and parking again.

I did it at the Deerfield Centre on Lake Cook Rd.
It's very similar in every state, from what I hear. The only way to fail is to do something completely dumb, like running a STOP sign or red light, or having an accident.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:08 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's very similar in every state, from what I hear. The only way to fail is to do something completely dumb, like running a STOP sign or red light, or having an accident.
I'd have failed mine if they'd given me parallel parking. I'm shite at that.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'd have failed mine if they'd given me parallel parking. I'm shite at that.
I have been known to parallel park my F250.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niceday
I did my test in Illinois in a hire car, they just needed to check the contract to look at the insurance.
So, how do you hire a car if you don't have a license?

The IL driving test is hilarious, especially if taken at a suburban office. Mine was basically a drive around the block with a left turn thrown in for extra difficulty.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
So, how do you hire a car if you don't have a license?
I hired it using my Dubai or UK Driving licence (I forget which) and arranged a 2 month hire prior to arriving in the US so I could pick up the car from the airport upon arrival in the US and give me some time to get all the paperwork sorted before applying for the Illinois licence.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:19 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking to get a drivers license in another state like NJ where they accept your overseas drivers license and then get it transferred to IL. Any pointers?
Just one - you can't do that. You will not be a resident of New Jersey.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
Just one - you can't do that. You will not be a resident of New Jersey.
Well... to prove my residence I need a bank statement.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:04 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by e3geek
Well... to prove my residence I need a bank statement.
... with your NJ address on it. BTW, states that accept foreign licenses to issue US ones often want to confiscate the foreign license as part of the deal. Don't know about NJ specifically.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.