Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

drivers license- Georgia

drivers license- Georgia

Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: drivers license

Originally Posted by fatbrit
That cost will fade into insignificance when you see how much he increases your auto insurance.
Even without a license, under 21 living in their household, in many states they'd have to include him regardless of permission to drive

But tuition is a bit of a joke, if the kid has had lessons in the UK, he's probably all set to take the test in the US...getting a license in the UK, don't know if it's worth it, might be if there's a requirement to have a learners permit for x months and x number of hours driven during the day/night because having a license would get him out of that, probably. Depends on the state, if you've had the license less than 3 years you might still be treated as a first time driver, certainly if under 21 as is the case in ME and I think MA. Just look up the rules on the DMV site.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:11 am
Just Joined

AllysonCross is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bob for the reply. Our plan was for my son to take his actual test in the UK after having an intensive course of lessons (15-20hrs and $600 ish), as he has already passed his theory. Now I think that we should save that money and wait til we get to the US and get him a license there. It seems odd that most of the lessons in the US are classroom based and not practical. It would be hard for us to take him out as we both have automatic cars and I think he should pass his test in a manual. We will have to buy a car for him to use once we get to Atlanta. Also, I have looked at the ages and am amazed and a little scared that my other soon to be 15yr old son will be able to get his learners license soon! We have a lot to learn about moving to the States
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllysonCross
Thanks Bob for the reply. Our plan was for my son to take his actual test in the UK after having an intensive course of lessons (15-20hrs and $600 ish), as he has already passed his theory. Now I think that we should save that money and wait til we get to the US and get him a license there. It seems odd that most of the lessons in the US are classroom based and not practical. It would be hard for us to take him out as we both have automatic cars and I think he should pass his test in a manual. We will have to buy a car for him to use once we get to Atlanta. Also, I have looked at the ages and am amazed and a little scared that my other soon to be 15yr old son will be able to get his learners license soon! We have a lot to learn about moving to the States
No point with a manual in the US tbh, harder to find and often more pricey, though some areas do have more options than others.

What's really scary, some areas do the road test on a closed off car park, so they could pass and drive on the motor way on the way home having never driven on real roads
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of
Default Re: drivers license- Georgia

To OP:

Couple of things:

* GA DDS no longer requires you to surrender your international license in all cases:

"You should present your Out of Country/International License or Identification card to receive a Georgia license or Identification card. Out of country licenses/permits/ID cards are returned to non US citizens with the following exceptions: Commercial licenses and permits."

* GA DDS (and in fact Federal Law) requires that all applicants for DLs furnish a SSN. If your 17-year old does come over with a UK license, this may be a bit of a wrinkle because, IIRC, L2 dependents (children, not the spouse) are not eligible for SSNs. In this case you would need to obtain Form SSAL676 from the SSA to indicate that he is ineligible for an SSN before GA DDS will issue a license.

Any idea where in the ATL you will be living?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:25 am
Just Joined

AllysonCross is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we plan on living in the Cumming area as the boys will be going to a Forsyth County high school.
So as I understand it my 17yr old could come over with his UK driver license but he would not have completed the required hours of driving, so he wouldn't be eligible for a DL in Georgia until we can sign to say he has done the hours?
It seems easier to wait until we are there and get both of my sons (15 & 17) to take the test.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by AllysonCross
Hi, we plan on living in the Cumming area as the boys will be going to a Forsyth County high school.
So as I understand it my 17yr old could come over with his UK driver license but he would not have completed the required hours of driving, so he wouldn't be eligible for a DL in Georgia until we can sign to say he has done the hours?
It seems easier to wait until we are there and get both of my sons (15 & 17) to take the test.
No idea, what does the DMV site for the state say?

He'd have to retake the test here regardless.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

British-Irish is an unknown quantity at this point

My fiancee says even though I have a full UK Driving License, I have to apply for usa one and I have to take my driving test again? Is this true do i have to take my test again? I will be moving to Georgia.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British-Irish
My fiancee says even though I have a full UK Driving License, I have to apply for usa one and I have to take my driving test again? Is this true do i have to take my test again? I will be moving to Georgia.
Yes.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

British-Irish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yes.
OMG! that sucks
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think she would lie to you?
Did you read the thread?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

OMG! that sucks
why?

You not seen the standard of driving?

Seriously though, the test is nothing like the UK and is very easy, few minutes around the block kind of thing. The only thing to really read up on is the penalty points type thing for under 21 year olds as it is usually those questions that'll get you on the theory test.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
why?

You not seen the standard of driving?

Seriously though, the test is nothing like the UK and is very easy, few minutes around the block kind of thing. The only thing to really read up on is the penalty points type thing for under 21 year olds as it is usually those questions that'll get you on the theory test.
Yes l second that ! I wouldn't worry about the driving test over here,it's a complete joke,and no comparison to the UK test. When l took mine in FL several years ago,l didn't even go out on the road !! They had a small compound behind the DMV office that you do 1 lap around. They might as well give away licences at Walmart.