British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Drivers License expiring while L1 in renewal process (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/drivers-license-expiring-while-l1-renewal-process-802042/)

coxinio Jul 5th 2013 4:00 pm

Drivers License expiring while L1 in renewal process

Hi I wondered if anyone had experience of renewing their drivers License while in the L1 renewal process?

Is it possible to get the driver's license renewed if the L1 renewal has not yet been approved? I've had an RFE which means that its pretty likely mine and my wife's licenses will expire before the L1 extension is potentially approved.

My attorney has suggested going to the DMV with the I-797C receipt for filing, however I wondered if anyone had been in the same boat as my attorney did seem a little unsure and my experiences of the DMV haven't been the greatest so far.

I'm in VA if that helps.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

sanfranjones Jul 5th 2013 4:48 pm

Re: Drivers License expiring while L1 in renewal process

vaguely remember being in a similar situation, DMV used my I94 as a basis of renewal.

MtbbikeVanlife Jul 5th 2013 7:36 pm

Hi Coxinio,

I'm in Richmond,VA and had to exactly the same thing last year - With an RFE you are "allowed" to remain in the USA for a period of time (234 days springs to mind) from your Visa expiration date whilst the RFE is resolved. Your local DMV should be aware of this and you can have an extension on your license upto that date. When I did it I had to get a "senior" clerk involved, but there was no hassle.

The trick is to then remember the Drivers License will be out of synch with your Visa and you could find yourself with an expired license.... which is a $120 fine :o ........

Carl.

coxinio Jul 6th 2013 11:05 am

Thanks for your reply Carl, I think the wife and I are going to try our luck at the DMV today.

Was there any particular documentation you had to take with you?

Matt

MtbbikeVanlife Jul 6th 2013 2:22 pm

Hey Matt...

I took all my documents, "expired" Visa, RFE notice, I-94 plus the other Driving License requirements (household bill etc).
If I recall, they gave the RFE a cursory glance and looked at the I-94 for the date so they could calculate the new licenses expiry date.
It was hard work at first, as the clerk had obviously never had to deal with a non immigrant before, but was not for admitting she did not know what to do..... It took some gentle persuasion to get her to suggest she got her manager to check the paperwork !
Hope I'm not too late with the advice & good luck.... It could take 20 minutes or a couple of hours !!
Carl

coxinio Jul 6th 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks Carl,

The lady I got this morning seemed to know what she was doing thankfully and was mainly concerned that the I-797c was dated prior to the I-94 expiring.

Both mine and wifes licences were extended until a year from the date on the I-797c, which is great as if and when get our renewal confirmed we won't have to worry about a further trip to the DMV for some time.